Brothers new Kubota L2501

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the other thread about the super udt2 in the HST, are there any other fluids (besides engine oil) that are worth upgrading? Tractor has 7.4 hours on it so far. We did some tree work this weekend and I'm in love. Such a nice piece of equipment.

There is a blurb in the owners manual about not running at max rpm for the first 50 hours... Is that a legitimate concern?

My John Deere and Koiti 's owner manual said the same thing. I doubt there is any mercy when the tractor is put into commercial operation.

Coming up on 1500 hrs on the Kubota in my sig, will be using Shell T6. Bought it used at 1000 hrs but can only assume it had decent care so if you go by the book your rig will be fine.

Max rpm, like above 540 PTO speed rpms? There's no real need to run it that high for woods work with a HST, heavy pulling should be done in low range and most likely you will run out of grip before hp. Running just below PTO rpm should be fine for most moderate work atleast. I only run max rpms out on the road where I want full speed and hp for some of the hills. You don't want to run it at too low rpms though, as lugging the motor and making smoke isn't great for it either.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
Read the other thread about the super udt2 in the HST, are there any other fluids (besides engine oil) that are worth upgrading? Tractor has 7.4 hours on it so far. We did some tree work this weekend and I'm in love. Such a nice piece of equipment.

There is a blurb in the owners manual about not running at max rpm for the first 50 hours... Is that a legitimate concern?

The manual calls for a 10w30, 15w40 or SAE 30 depending on temperature and what's available. My dealer has UDT2 for just over $20 a gallon. I haven't found anything non Kubota that's cheaper than that so I see no reason to change. The 50 hour service just needs an oil/ filter change as well as a HST filter change and top off.

Max engine speed on the L2501 is about 2200 RPM at just under 25 horse. The D1703 inside the L2501 is "governed" with a linkage and is actually capable of about 30 horse at 2800 RPM. There's a guy online with a landscaping business who adjusted the linkage to achieve around 3000 RPM to get more speed, but aside from that I am not seeing the point since the PTO is geared to be at 540 RPM when the engine is at 2000 RPM. There's also warranty concerns.

The rear diff is a part of the HST system and just takes UDT. Should hold around 6 gallons. I'm not sure what having a loader adds to the capacity.

The front diff can take either UDT2 or 80w90 gear oil. Should hold about 5 quarts.

So T6 or Delvac or any other CK-4 syn HDEO. Stay with super udt2 in the HST. Bigger filter for engine. What about the diffs?

Is a synoil needed in Florida? 15W-40 is good for 17* starts

He will probably buy syn with rebates. /shrug

I've read that Kubota Corperate doesn't like synthetic used in hot weather. Everyone here knows that's fake news, but while under warranty I'd stick to what's in the manual.

The manual also specs a C3 oil, which M1 0w40 meets, but that's a story for another day.

Normally I'd agree with you but the manual I looked up is way out of date. CI-4 or better and 10w-30 or 15w-40 depending on operating temps.

Yes, very out of date indeed. So out of date in fact, I didn't know if they required a special oil to meet warranty requirements when I first bought mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back