Broken exhaust valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mechanic buddy checked that travand said all was within spec. Flash on the phone does make some finishes on the bores a bit coarse but IRL it's normal. Maybe it is because these cylinders are plasma coated by factory. Read some stories that VW says to not hone them because of the coating. Various egine shops do hone them and claim not to have seen any problems.

You wont have any problem with that on this block, its only to break the glaze so the new rings seat nicely. Looking forward to hear how she runs.

Yes i would like to change the topics name to "2.0t fsi engine rebuild" because the name doesn't say anything anymore by now haha.

If i dont forget i might get and video her first start.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I was lucky the piston didn't completely come apart.....

Wow yes thats lucky, if that had come apart the bore would be screwed. Might have been bad enough to ruin the block.

So i got het finished today and she's running great! Pulled the wire of the n75 valve so the power wil be low during the break in period. Probably running about 125 to 150 hp, that's how it feels.

How long you guys think i have to run her in before i go to full power again?

As promised, here is the startup video
Leon Cupra CDL first start

The engine sounds good! I would dump the oil at 100Km and keep the RPM's under 4000 for the first 500Km with occasional WOT between 500-1000Km then change the oil again at 1000Km for what you normally use and open it up.
I have built lot of engines in my time and have never been an advocate of "drive it like you stole it" to break it in, that has been disproven many times.

This is from GM but applicable to all engines.

http://paceperformance.com/p-3978-engine-start-up-procedure.html

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Tommiee
Sorry Tman220, that you like ft/lbs.. we count in Nm's only so don't have a ft/lbs graph. I can imagine that it looks strange to you guys then

Yep, I was going to say since this was in Europe, it's unlikely we would see a typical North American graph.

Drove 50 miles yesterday! Runs great, really smooth. Low on power because of the n75 valve but that makes it easier to make some rpm without loading it too much

Originally Posted By: Tommiee
Drove 50 miles yesterday! Runs great, really smooth. Low on power because of the n75 valve but that makes it easier to make some rpm without loading it too much

I'd go ahead and dump the oil now. Building an engine in a home garage like i have , its not that clean. Lots of stuff gets in the engine when its open a while.

built the car @ my saturday work, a car garage. It is pretty clean actually, but i will dump the oil saturday i think. will have around 200 miles by then.

So have around 150 miles on the car now. Any advice against dumping the oil tomorrow for the motul 8100 xcess 5w40 or keep the current techno cheap 10w40 in there for a little longer?

I have mixed feeling on this one Tommiee, one one hand you want the rings to bed in properly and you did hone the cylinders with a little rougher finish than OE so 500-600 miles on dino would be reasonable. On the other hand I understand you want to run the car and give it some boot, been there and done that with a 200 mph (320km/h) motorcycle I couldn't drive more than 60 for 1000 km (I restrained myself and broke it in right).
I would change the oil for sure but put another load of dino in it for another 400 miles or so then switch over. The cylinder wall finish is my only concern, OE is smoother and doesn't require much bedding.

49.gif

Please call me Tom Trav.

I have the n75 solenoid disconnected electrically, so it's doing 0.3 bar of boost max ( the boost the wastegate needs to open itself ) so i'm not able to give if full beans, feels like 120 hp with a nice little bit of torque in the lower rev range.

Don't have any dino lying around anymore so i would prefer leaving this in or putting in the motul.

Going for a long trip sunday, 150 miles of highway driving, speeds between 100 and 120 km/h.

My girlfriend takes it to Essen, Germany thursday, also around 150 miles, she will drive it easy.

Have an appointment 12 may @ the tuner to get the full potential on it again.

A little update. I changed the oil + filter @ 550 miles. a new mann filter together with Motul X-Cess 5w40.

Also i did changed the alternater for a new one, the bearings made a lot of noise and the engine is really quit and smooth. even with the full milltek non resonated exhaust, 3'' downpipe and 200 cells cat, you almost can't tell if she's running when you're inside the car @idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back