14 Grand Caravan Broken Exhaust Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Chrysler has had electrical issues in the past, But they've cleaned up their act in the last decade

This is the first time I have heard that! Specifically the cleaning up their act part.

Folks like to throw around the phrase "Electrical Problem"......Broken wires, TIPM problems, & Cracked solder joints in modules were a major issue with Chrysler products throughout the 90's & 2000's. Haven't seen much as of late!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cptbarkey
It has been misfiring for about 3 months and finally CEL came on with a cylinder 2 misfire. The dealer called and said its a broken exhaust valve and a new head is on 1 month backorder.

I'm just trying to figure out the failure mode if it misfired but still ran well enough to keep going for 3 more months?

I would have thought loosing an exhaust valve seat would do more catastrophic damage? Was it running on 5 cylinders by the time you took it it?

Months worth of misfiring couldn't have been good for the catalytic converter on that side.

FWIW, we put over 80K miles on our 2013 Grand Caravan without issue aside from some slight oil burning smells from the engine bay at times that I presume was from the oil cooler/filer housing. Never lost a drop or noticed leakage.

Oddly enough, I notice the same smells from my 2017 Ram 1500 with the pentastar currently at 45K miles. To me, the biggest albatross with the pentastar is the stupid plastic oil cooler/filter assembly and where it's located. They're all going to leak at some point either by cracking or by seal leakage. I wince every time I snug that filter cap by hand after an oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
It has been misfiring for about 3 months and finally CEL came on with a cylinder 2 misfire. The dealer called and said its a broken exhaust valve and a new head is on 1 month backorder.

I'm just trying to figure out the failure mode if it misfired but still ran well enough to keep going for 3 more months?

I would have thought loosing an exhaust valve seat would do more catastrophic damage? Was it running on 5 cylinders by the time you took it it?

Months worth of misfiring couldn't have been good for the catalytic converter on that side..

The CEL was only intermittent and it would go away on its own. I dont have a FSM to tell the criteria on when the code comes on and goes away. I am a little skeptical too and have wondered if other catastrophic damage has been done, T-minus 3 weeks and i'll hopefully know more.

If you're under warranty and if the dealer installs a new OEM head and not a reman since it does look like FCA fixed the issue you should be good for many more miles to come.

No one is perfect - Toyota just gets carte blanche though I think they're nothing special.

Update for anyone who is interested. Just got it back today and put it through its paces and it runs well. Cylinder head looks brand new. Wife is happy. The invoice said broken valve seat, and a $4100 bill to the warranty company.

Update for anyone who is interested. Just got it back today and put it through its paces and it runs well. Cylinder head looks brand new. Wife is happy. The invoice said broken valve seat, and a $4100 bill to the warranty company.

Excellent!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back