Bringing out the worst... drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I had a lady run a stop sign and pull out in front of me. Then she went 35 mph in a 55.

That's quality right there!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I had a lady run a stop sign and pull out in front of me. Then she went 35 mph in a 55.

lol.gif

But wait! There's more...

Then she proceeds to wave between the lanes, almost clipping a bigger truck than her Sentra, then, finally accelerate, signal and change lanes.

Also, practiced "social distancing" at the STOP light: 4 car lengths in front...

P.S. A lady at Aldi, proceed to unload a whole cart of groceries on the belt with one hand... because she had to hold the grocery list in the other... I vote for she wanted to talk with the Aldi check register guy!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Local news seems to about every night report on the State Patrol pulling someone over for doing 100+ MPH. Open roads brings out the speed demons.

One came on our news and my wife say's huh maybe I should slow down.. lol. Good thing it's only the Focus she drives.

lol.gif

Yeah, just regular quality is a guy who leaves his blinker signaling right switch to the left lane. Just had that happen yesterday.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

lol.gif

Yeah, just regular quality is a guy who leaves his blinker signaling right switch to the left lane. Just had that happen yesterday.

A classic around here, since we have a number of one-way streets, is folks making a turn, be it left or right, from the far lane. This has resulted in many an accident as one can imagine.

I have noticed a lot more speeders, and I'm not talking about people going 5 or 10 MPH over the limit, I'm talking about people doing 90 to 100 MPH...I guess they think the highways a free-for-all now...

Originally Posted by Wolf359
You don't need to social distance when driving a car.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kestas
I've noticed a lot more cops patrolling traffic. It is so easy to speed nowadays, even beyond the 80 mph people have been doing.

My wife got pulled over doing 89MPH on RT495 in her Tiguan. The MA state trooper say her hospital badge and scrubs and said good luck at work.

Originally Posted by MCompact
In the Louisville area the roads are infested by left-lane campers.

It used to be so bad, you'd go faster in the right lane as everyone tries to switch over to the left lane. Lots of people can't seem to figure out how to switch lanes or handle merging traffic. Sometimes traffic used to be so slow, you'd take the exit and then get right back on and that would shave 2-3 minutes off the GPS time. Didn't always work when the exits/entrances weren't that close.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not a problem here …
our average car, the F350, pulls well past the stripe when you are trying to turn around them.

Same goes for here.
I never really did so as a consistent bad habit but I'd caught myself crowding the crosswalk a few times and got very deliberate about not being that sloppy anymore. Even just one time of someone crossing as pedestrian or on bicycle and having to yield way around the frontend of my car really makes me feels small -as it should. I'll often come to a light / crosswalk and not see anyone around but things can easily obscure line of sight along the path feeding the crossing. It's one thing that takes being mindful of creating better habits in my case and probably so because it's the kind of thing I and others can and have gotten away with more often than not.

Lots of times, the other vehicle in the next lane over is so far past the stop line they indeed block some of that crossing and block my vision completely to even consider a right turn on red unless I wish to chance it starting out past their frontend. If doing so, I am blocking the walk just to see if traffic is clear for me to proceed.
Definitely bad by design.

As for speeding during this time of open roads, I can see the temptation. Speeding within reason on lightly trafficked roads / areas probably feels or seems more safe than speed limit adherence during "normal" traffic situations. However, with light traffic, I'd imagine it's far easier for LEO to spot the offenders.

Last edited:
There's an increased amount of horrible driving here in the Twin Cities. Yesterday morning when I left for work at 4:30AM I counted about 6-7 vehicles with the high beams on. Generally I only spot 1 or 2 a month. Turn signal usage has gone way down too. Speeding is more frequent, not 5-10 over but 20-25+, especially on the I-494/694 loop in Woodbury.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I've noticed a lot more cops patrolling traffic. It is so easy to speed nowadays, even beyond the 80 mph people have been doing.

My wife got pulled over doing 89MPH on RT495 in her Tiguan. The MA state trooper say her hospital badge and scrubs and said good luck at work.

She was doing almost 90 and no ticket? Wow, police depts must be flush with revenues...

On my way home to OH from IL yesterday I encountered more semis than I've EVER seen on I-70 between Indy and Dayton. Both lanes were clogged with multiple semis playing leap frog all the way down the highway. These are trying times, and the highways are not exempt...

Originally Posted by grampi

She was doing almost 90 and no ticket? Wow, police depts must be flush with revenues...

That is not something I would talk about nor post on a forum.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by grampi

That is not something I would talk about nor post on a forum.

It's common knowledge that, in MA, traffic can be bumper to bumper and not moving. Or bumper to bumper and... moving at these speeds. My understanding is that this can be true up and down the east coast, during rush hour speeds can be well in excess of posted limit--and often the PD stay at bay. I think sometimes they don't patrol during rush hour (much) since it'd lead to worse traffic (faster moving cars get on and off the highway faster and can lead to less congestion).

In normal times around the Seattle metro, traffic is pretty much the same as you described. Even the drivers who paid big tolls to drive in the Pay to Play lanes are stuck thus throwing away their money.

Nobody really moves. It has been very pleasant these past several weeks.

Ha! In Silicon Valley we have a lotta computer lanes.
People bought those hybrid Civics and Priuses like crazy.
Then the EVs.

The HOV lanes have been rendered useless during rush hour due to the cheats.
Ha!

But I do have the purple stickers on the Model 3.

IMG_20191231_140338.jpg

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Ha! In Silicon Valley we have a lotta computer lanes.

Not sure if that was on purpose or not, but it's hilarious!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back