Briggs Twin - Won't Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have an older Deere mower with a Briggs 422707 twin cylinder L head in it. Ran fine, but leaked a little oil, so a couple weeks ago I pulled the motor and had a small engine shop put some new gaskets in the bottom end.

Now it doesn't leak oil, but won't idle. The throttle plate is not closing in the carb. I can idle it manually by pushing on the governor lever coming out of the block, but it won't do it with just manipulating the throttle cable. I've pulled the throttle cable run it by hand, etc - no dice. It won't slow down enough. It will run full speed just fine.

I hate to run back to the shop and be the guy who blames all the problems on the last shop that serviced my engine, but I'm wondering if there was something inside that didn't get assembled properly w/the governor. I put the engine back in, but that isn't too hard and I've double checked all the connections.

Any thoughts? Since I can throttle it down manually with the governor linkage, I'd assume I don't have a stray air leak somewhere?

Last edited:
Or you need a static governor adjustment performed.

If they had the crankcase open, and/or linkages off, they might have screwed this up. The static adjustment sets the governor rod (inside crankcase) in relation to the lever attached to it on the outside. If the shop is close by, get them to check that, the adjustment takes about 1 minute to perform, especially if the engine is out, and it doesn't have to be running.

We appreciate the update! I don't know diddly about the old Briggs horizontally opposed twins, but I'm glad your small engine guy got it sorted for you.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back