Ryobi RY80940

I need some help understanding the "idle down" feature on my Ryobi PW. This is the 3100 psi model with a Honda GCV190 engine with "idle down". I understand the concept but over the years it just doesn't work anymore. I've taken the assembly cable off and lubed the cable inside the sheath do it moves freely. I've changed the bolt and 2 special washers that hold the assembly cable to the pump at the bottom. When I start the PW now with the trigger depressed, the PW starts immediately will rev up like it should. As soon as it starts I notice the cable retracts inside the sheath to keep the engine RPM high. As soon as I release the trigger, the cable should extend back out of the sheath. It does not do that. The cable stays retracted in the sheath and the engine rpm fluctuates....somewhere between full throttle and idle. There is a bracket that holds the end of the cable on the frame that connects to the throttle lever. There is some adjustment at that bracket. I've moved the cable fore and aft relative to the throttle lever (the governor arm) with no change. I've removed the pump, changed the oil and cleaned everything I could get at and all passages appear to be clear of any obstruction.

I have noticed that RYOBI has superceded this model with a "A" and "B" model that doesn't have this identical setup of the assembly cable on the pump. Looks like a redesign. It also appears that this specific idle down assembly cable has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Does anyone know of the proper procedure on how to adjust this? I can replace the pump with the revised idle down assembly but if I'm going to spend that much money I'd rather get a new PW.

Thanks!

Donald, where does the idle-down “command” come from? Does it originate at the bypass (is it called unloader?) valve at the pump? mine doesn’t idle down but the load comes off when the trigger is released, from the unloader valve. Problem is, sometimes that valve has become stuck in mine and not released. If there is some sort of pressure piston/spring thing on the pump which lets the engine know there’s no demand, I’d bet it’s part of the unloader.??

m

Back