Briggs Tech Rep Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with a Briggs Tech Rep becuase their new oil recommendations state the following.. (and it dosen't all add up).

-They say to use B&S 30wt down to 40*F which is fine; but they think from "extensive testing: it is the overall best choice for their engines with the recommended OCI's.

-They say the engines will burn oil if a conventional 10W-30 is used due to the engines having inheirently big clearances.

-They now say you can use B&S 5W-30 synthetic from below 0*F to 104*F with no mention of the engine burning oil.

-They no longer mention using 10W-30 synthetic like they used to.

I plan to give Amsoil ASE a go...but these folks are in the dark ages. Why loose tolerance engines>? Oh...right...Honda and Kawasaki are much tighter and do well on synthetics with no oil burning issues....almost forgot..

Loose tolerance engines are cheaper to build and you can run them on pretty much anything this side of sand without seizing them.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I spoke with a Briggs Tech Rep becuase their new oil recommendations state the following.. (and it dosen't all add up).

-They say to use B&S 30wt down to 40*F which is fine; but they think from "extensive testing: it is the overall best choice for their engines with the recommended OCI's.

-They say the engines will burn oil if a conventional 10W-30 is used due to the engines having inheirently big clearances.

-They now say you can use B&S 5W-30 synthetic from below 0*F to 104*F with no mention of the engine burning oil.

-They no longer mention using 10W-30 synthetic like they used to.

Seems to be in line with the excerpt from B&S manual I posted recently:

B_and_S_oil_spec.png

Originally Posted By: expat
But! Isn't xxw-30 all the same viscosity at operating temperature?

It's the same at 100 deg. C, but that is not necessarily the operating temperature of many air cooled lawn equipment engines. Many of them run much hotter than that. A straight 30w oil or a synthetic oil theoretically should be more stable at those higher temps compared to a conventional 5w-30 with VII.

I believe there are better oils to put in a Briggs, but I use straight 30W in every Briggs and Tecumseh that I own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back