Briggs Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case anyone wants to know or does not know, Briggs & Stratton oil, ACE Hardware oil, and Arnold oil are all made by the following company. Here is the first part of their MSDS sheet.

Material Safety Data Sheet
1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
OLYMPIC OIL, LTD.
5000 W. 41st St.
Cicero, IL 60804
Technical
708-876-7900 (M-F 6:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.)
MSDS Number: MSOL703
Product Name: BRIGGS HEAVY DUTY LAWNMOWER OIL SAE 30
Emergency Overview
Physical State: Liquid Color: Amber Odor: Mild
May cause temporary irritation to the eyes.
Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause skin irritation.
Spills may create a slipping hazard.
Key: 4=Severe, 3=Serious, 2=Moderate, 1=Slight, 0=Minimal
2. COMPOSITION, INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Hazardous Component(s) CAS# %WT (Approx)
Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate Confidential 1 – 5
Alkylated Phenol Confidential 1 – 5
Diphenylamine 122-39-4 0.1 – 0.9

Olympic Oil is a division of Delta Companies Group in Louisiana and Delta Companies Group is a division of a company named Greif located in Columbus, OH.

I can actually get Briggs & Stratton 30 weight oil at a small engine repair facility here. I could never find Honda oil for my lawnmower. I have an old Briggs and Stratton Craftsman wheeled weed trimmer.

So the question is does the Briggs and Stratton oil have any value, or is it better to just use car engine oil?

I have a bottle of their SAE 30 which makes the following (typical advertising) statements.

On the front of the bottle it says, Specially Formulated for 4-cycle Engines, Warranty Certified, Small Engine Oil.

On the back it says, Warm weather formula for use between 40F and 100F. SAE 30 SJ/CF.

The only value I see is that it comes in this nifty 18 oz bottle, which is what most small Briggs engines take. I highly doubt that it is anything special and would have no advantage over any major brands SAE 30 oil.

Thanks. That is what I figured was the case. It is nice having one of those bottles however so you can put the correct amount in and not do measuring. Probably any major brand of 30 weight oil would be a better oil, although maybe not as much anti-wear additive with the major brand 30 weight oil. But probably more detergent. And plus that B&S oil is probably more expensive!

I might get a bottle however, use that oil, and then use the bottle to measure the correct amount from then on.

What appears to be the same oil is sold in Lowes under the Pro Select label. It's funny, because they shelf it right next to the Briggs oil (which is in identical oddball size containers, with similar description), but the Briggs is $2 more for a 48 oz (!) container.

Is there any reason to think this oil is no good? SAE 30 is becoming very hard to find where I live, and when I do find it, is often a couple bucks than a multi. The Lowes price on the Pro Select is actually cheaper than any other 30 I could find.

I would imagine this oil would work great in a small 4-cycle that recommended the SAE 30. My problem with it is actually the bottle. Neat and convenient for my old edger with the little 3HP engine that takes 18 oz of oil, but the newer Briggs engines take 20 oz and up. Right now I'm using Pennzoil Outdoor SAE 30 that comes in a 20 oz bottle, but will start using Opti-4 SAE 30 that comes in a 20 oz bottle when it arrives.

Here is a VOA of Briggs and Stratton oil pulled from another thread. Looks pretty stout.

ALUMINUM: 0
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 0
COPPER: 0
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLY: 18
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 1