Briggs commercial turf 25hp

Heys guys - I recently bought a snapper s40 48" zero turn. Prior to buying, I searched the web and started a thread here looking for input on this engines reliability, but really only finding limited info (members here who owned one had generally good experience with them btw). Then once I convinced the better half we should own one, I searched once again and only finding very dated posts. Since there seems to be so little info out there on them, I thought I'd post my experiences with mine.

I only have about 25hrs on this thing - so keep that in mind

Being a 25hp engine on a 48" deck, this thing is a beast! Was a little skeptical of its power at first, but it does seem to run like it's got another 7hp over my 18hp Kohler Magnum on my 48" garden tractor. Even a dense yard at 7" plus doesn't really work it. The engine starts easily, but unless it's warmed up, it needs the choke to start, and until it's fully warmed it will hesitate when you whack the throttle. Haven't pulled plugs yet, but its probably calibrated pretty lean. Also has a low speed cold surge, again a calibration issue no doubt. But once she's hot, she's a runner! Rock steady rpm, no misses, bucks, surges or any other nonsense. Whack the throttle and it just barks right to governed rpm with or with the mower deck running.

Engine doesn't use oil, or minimal. I changed the ff at somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. Lots of metal. Replaced with Napa syn 15w50 (manual says something like for best protection use vanguard 15w50 - so since it reinforces my thick oil bias, I used it lol). 2nd change at around 5 hrs, still lots of metal. Third change around 15hrs, this time with minimal metal. Pretty hard to tell if its using oil, but in 10hrs I've only added maybe an Oz.

This engine has an oil cooler and oil Temps after 2 acres of moderately heavy grass is about 180 degrees on a 85 degree day

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase so far. $4400 out the door for a solid running, good mowing machine. Seat is an upgraded piece and pretty comfy. Far better than the run of the mill garden tractor seat. This thing just seems like a good bang for the buck.

Nice. I’ve got a Vanguard EFI 28 hp on my 52” Ferris walk-behind and I love it. I’m sure that 25 horse on yours is plenty of pow! Not that long ago, the large motor on a 48” Exmark was like 15 hp. I’ve got about 100 hours on mine but never checked oil temps. It has the Oil Guard system or whatever Briggs calls it with 5 quarts of oil capacity and a remote reservoir so I’m assuming it stays pretty cool.

Last edited:
OP, I picked up a 52” Ferris ISX800 with the 27HP version of your motor. I agree with you, this motor is a beast. I ended up buying a few jugs of the Vanguard oil and a few filters directly from B&S’ online store. ~$67 and I have enough for four oil changes.

Nice! Sounds like a great machine. Does it have HydroGear ZT-2800 drives?

The only V-twin OPE engines I owned were a 20hp Kohler Command and a 20hp Kohler Courage. They both always needed choke to cold start and ran a bit finicky for the first minute or so, then no problem. They'd idle smooth and snap right up to max RPM.

I don't doubt that 25hp is night/day in terms of power vs the horizontally opposed magnum 18. It might even burn less fuel.

I have the 810cc 27HP version on my 61" Ferris, I'm just a homeowner but I have 9 acres to mow with it, it is a beast of a motor.

I have the 810cc 27HP version on my 61" Ferris, I'm just a homeowner but I have 9 acres to mow with it, it is a beast of a motor.
I have the same mower that just turned 100hrs. No problems plenty of power. It is cold natured upon starting so you need to let it idle for a minute or so. Doesn't use any oil. Has the Hydrogear 3400s.
OP, I picked up a 52” Ferris ISX800 with the 27HP version of your motor. I agree with you, this motor is a beast. I ended up buying a few jugs of the Vanguard oil and a few filters directly from B&S’ online store. ~$67 and I have enough for four oil changes.
Is that Ruu Rued?lol

I have the same mower that just turned 100hrs. No problems plenty of power. It is cold natured upon starting so you need to let it idle for a minute or so. Doesn't use any oil. Has the Hydrogear 3400s.

Is that Ruu Rued?lol
I run a FL400s oil filter on my motor, its actually easier to change than the OEM filter as it is longer and easier to get a wrench on.

Nice. I’ve got a Vanguard EFI 28 hp on my 52” Ferris walk-behind and I love it. I’m sure that 25 horse on yours is plenty of pow! Not that long ago, the large motor on a 48” Exmark was like 15 hp. I’ve got about 100 hours on mine but never checked oil temps. It has the Oil Guard system or whatever Briggs calls it with 5 quarts of oil capacity and a remote reservoir so I’m assuming it stays pretty cool.
Agreed - they've been throwing lots of power at mowers the last few years! I recently worked on a 52" Great Dane commercial walk behind with a 17hp Kawasaki. We also had a Exmark 52" ztr with a 20hp Kaw.

Nice! Sounds like a great machine. Does it have HydroGear ZT-2800 drives?

The only V-twin OPE engines I owned were a 20hp Kohler Command and a 20hp Kohler Courage. They both always needed choke to cold start and ran a bit finicky for the first minute or so, then no problem. They'd idle smooth and snap right up to max RPM.

I don't doubt that 25hp is night/day in terms of power vs the horizontally opposed magnum 18. It might even burn less fuel.
You are correct - it does have the ZT-2800's

As for fuel consumption, I haven't actually measured it, but I'd estimate that it's similar to the Kohler Magnum 18. It takes somewhere around 2 gallons to do both my 1/2 acre relatively open yard and my neighbors 2ish acre yard that has 30+ trees and multiple buildings. Runtime is 1.5 hours for their yard and about 20 minutes for mine.

The one thing I have to say is that the 'ole 2 cyl opposed Kohler with it's dual exhaust sounds much better in the yard under load! Just a cool old machine IMO. The zero is flipping LOUD! The engine is only half or less of the perceived volume - mostly from the mower deck. It sounds like I'm getting divebombed by a plane all the time. Definitely an ear plugs and ear muffs mower if you're on it for any length of time.

The one thing I have to say is that the 'ole 2 cyl opposed Kohler with it's dual exhaust sounds much better in the yard under load! Just a cool old machine IMO. The zero is flipping LOUD! The engine is only half or less of the perceived volume - mostly from the mower deck. It sounds like I'm getting divebombed by a plane all the time. Definitely an ear plugs and ear muffs mower if you're on it for any length of time.

Yep. My 2010 model year Cub Cadet Z-Force 44" ZTR with a fabricated 44" 3-blade deck was incredibly loud compared to my 2005 Cub 2544 garden tractor. Both had 20hp Kohler V-twins. The noise from that Cub ZTR was all from the deck like you say. I dunno if it had a faster blade tip speed than the regular rider, but it sure sounded like it did.

Does that filter fit on the Briggs Commercial V twins?
It fits my 27HP commercial turf engine, I don't know if it will fit them all as they have recently expanded that line of engines. Mine is a 2014, it was the only one available back then. I don't know if it will fit the vangaurd engines either.

It fits my 27HP commercial turf engine, I don't know if it will fit them all as they have recently expanded that line of engines. Mine is a 2014, it was the only one available back then. I don't know if it will fit the vangaurd engines either.
Mine is a 2017. At that time there were 3 offered in different HP.

The 1-lung baby Briggs on my ztr is very similar in behavior. It almost always needs choke to start, it acts a touch lean, but once at temp is a great OHV motor. It keeps getting better and better with fuel. New, it needed 1 gallon per mow, or 2 mows per tank here. Now, it’s 3-4 mows per tank. Granted, it’s a 1 cylinder, but IMO this engine punches a little above its weight class. 9 years old or so now. No Hobbs meter but I’d guess 450 hours on it.

Back