Briggs 3HP 80292 magnetron conversion?

Years ago B&S used to include a little plug with every magnetron coil that you tapped into the hole left by the by the points push rod.

I got the new pointless ignition coil installed and after dumping some gas into the carburetor I got it to start and run yesterday.

Here's a couple issues I encountered and wanted to know a possible remedy to revisit them in the future:

When I installed the new ignition coil, one of the bolt holes that holds it in place stripped out. The bolt will thread in but once it makes contact with the ignition coil it just spins forever and won't tighten. I'm afraid of the other bolt loosening from vibration and causing the coil to slide down and make contact with the flywheel.

With how small the bolt hole is I'm afraid to try and cut new threads inside it and risk breaking my engine block in the process and truly screwing myself.

Also, the spark plug wire on the new coil is significantly longer than the original one and part of it rests against the cylinder head under the cover. Is spark plug wire relatively heat resistant or is there a risk of my plug wire melting to be concerned about?

I got the new pointless ignition coil installed and after dumping some gas into the carburetor I got it to start and run yesterday.

Here's a couple issues I encountered and wanted to know a possible remedy to revisit them in the future:

When I installed the new ignition coil, one of the bolt holes that holds it in place stripped out. The bolt will thread in but once it makes contact with the ignition coil it just spins forever and won't tighten. I'm afraid of the other bolt loosening from vibration and causing the coil to slide down and make contact with the flywheel.

With how small the bolt hole is I'm afraid to try and cut new threads inside it and risk breaking my engine block in the process and truly screwing myself.

Also, the spark plug wire on the new coil is significantly longer than the original one and part of it rests against the cylinder head under the cover. Is spark plug wire relatively heat resistant or is there a risk of my plug wire melting to be concerned about?
You need to fix it. Find a suitable size and length screw (longer than the original screw) and nut and lockwasher, remove the coil, using a toothpick put a SMALL amount of JB Weld into the hole that is stripped, thread the new screw into the hole, clean off ALL of the JB Weld from the outside of your repair (on top of the coil mounting post, the coil needs to lay flat on the mounting post), wait for at least 24 hours for the JB Weld to harden, cut the head off of the screw, install the coil, use the nut and a small lockwasher on the cut-off screw, don't overtighten (the coil mounting screws don't require fear-of-God tightening).
The spark plug wire will be OK laying against the cylinder head. Just make sure that it is not interfering with the governor vane or coming into contact with the exhaust.

Back