Bridgestone or Michelin?

Messages
824
Location
Cali
Hello. I am looking for some grand all season tires that has good tread life, quiet, handles well on wet roads and safe enough to drive on light snow. I live in the east coast so it is important to me. These 2 choices I have concluded are: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toModel=Camry%204cyl&autoModClar=XSE https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toModel=Camry%204cyl&autoModClar=XSE My car is 2019 Carmy with 235/40/19 tires. Looking at the specs from the link, which one would you guys think is better? Thanks
 
Last edited:
Messages
6,495
Location
Connecticut
I think for that size on TireRack the General RT43 and Cooper CS5 are a better value. The Michelin you linked doesn't seem to get the greatest reviews in snow. My mom's 2011 Fit has the General RT43's on it and they have been the best tire yet in the snow for a little FWD go-kart.
 

painfx

Thread starter
Messages
824
Location
Cali
Originally Posted by painfx
Hello. I am looking for some grand all season tires that has good tread life, quiet, handles well on wet roads and safe enough to drive on light snow. I live in the east coast so it is important to me. These 2 choices I have concluded are: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toModel=Camry%204cyl&autoModClar=XSE https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toModel=Camry%204cyl&autoModClar=XSE My car is 2019 Carmy with 235/40/19 tires. Looking at the specs from the link, which one would you guys think is better? Thanks
Sorry. Here is the link to the Bridgestone QuietTrack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...autoModel=Camry+4cyl&autoModClar=XSE
 
Messages
898
Location
NJ
I never liked Bridgestone and they suck with their corporate backing of their warranty. I replaced Michelin with Bridgestone's on a 1990 Honda Accord, they came with lifetime 50% replacement cost. When they needed to be replaced, they all had slight uneven tire wear though they were all rotated every 5,000 miles but was told wouldn't honor the warranty deal because I did not get wheel alignments every 5,000 miles. So I wore them down to the ply braids then wrote the company, the response was to bring them to a company owned Firestone store. They refused because they had to measure the tread depth to qualify and since there was no tread left, they could not measure it. Switched to Michelins. I had Michelins on a 2005 Toyota RAV. Switched to Bridgestone, they vibrated; rebalanced, vibrated; replaced 2 fronts, vibrated; replaced all four, vibrated; replaced with Michelin, no problem.
 

painfx

Thread starter
Messages
824
Location
Cali
Originally Posted by edyvw
Camry has 235/40/R19 tires? Get Primacy. I personally do not like Bridgestone as they are pretty heavy tires.
They are 3 lbs heavier. Yes, it has 19 inch rims.
Originally Posted by nthach
Michelin. I assume you're going to Costco. I never liked Bridgestone.
Yes, I am getting them at Costco. As with all brands, there will be some models that is sub par and some are superior. Bridgestone QuietTrack is new, but I am not sure how well it performs. Even tirerack doesn't have many reviews on it.
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I think for that size on TireRack the General RT43 and Cooper CS5 are a better value. The Michelin you linked doesn't seem to get the greatest reviews in snow. My mom's 2011 Fit has the General RT43's on it and they have been the best tire yet in the snow for a little FWD go-kart.
That is true. I do live in the East Coast and I do see light snow in my area and Michelins are not that great on light snow and road noise. I am looking for something that is low on noise and is good on snow.
 
Messages
5,056
Location
VA
painfx, Michelin no doubt. You may consider going to a local dealer that will match Costco's price and I'd wait until you could get the $70 rebate (if you can't get it now) I have had problems with Michelin's in my 40 years of driving and I found that I did not get the customer service I expected from Sams and Costco.I I have had mileage warranty issues with 2 sets and a local dealer who wants to keep your business can really help. I love getting new sets of tires for 66% of the new price... A local dealer depends on your business and you being a repeat customer. I'm wondering how valuable you are to a Costco Tire shop? Now if you don't have any problems it won't make any difference but pray tell you do, you may find working with a local Michelin dealer produces better results.
 
Messages
714
Location
MA, USA
Well with 19" wheels I would buy 16" for winter. There must be a lot of empty space between calipers and rims. Crazy wheel/tires nowadays. KrzyÅ›
 
Messages
40,846
Location
Great Lakes
Originally Posted by krzyss
Well with 19" wheels I would buy 16" for winter. There must be a lot of empty space between calipers and rims. Crazy wheel/tires nowadays.
Agree. Size 235/40/19 is far from ideal for winter, unless you live in southern California, maybe.
 
Messages
5,780
Location
the canyons
I haven't been overly impressed with Bridgestone car and truck tires, but they have made some excellent motorcycle tires in recent years. Michelin car and truck tires have been a bit hit or miss for me. Some models are excellent, others, less so. Same for their motorcycle tires, IME.
 
Messages
10,967
Location
MA
Originally Posted by Gebo
painfx, Michelin no doubt. You may consider going to a local dealer that will match Costco's price and I'd wait until you could get the $70 rebate (if you can't get it now) I have had problems with Michelin's in my 40 years of driving and I found that I did not get the customer service I expected from Sams and Costco.I I have had mileage warranty issues with 2 sets and a local dealer who wants to keep your business can really help. I love getting new sets of tires for 66% of the new price... A local dealer depends on your business and you being a repeat customer. I'm wondering how valuable you are to a Costco Tire shop? Now if you don't have any problems it won't make any difference but pray tell you do, you may find working with a local Michelin dealer produces better results.
I have some Michelins I got from Costco. They basically had the best price because they also run their 1 cent installation sale along with the $70 rebate so it makes it way cheaper than Tirerack even if you find a cheap installer. Plus they include road hazard, lifetime rotation and balance. The problem with the local tire stores price matching is that they don't include those services.
 
Messages
2,143
Location
Somewhere in time
Originally Posted by Gebo
A local dealer depends on your business and you being a repeat customer. I'm wondering how valuable you are to a Costco Tire shop?
You do know Costco has the best customer service in the industry, right?!? You can return a dead Christmas tree and get your money back.... Costco return example.
 

painfx

Thread starter
Messages
824
Location
Cali
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I never liked Bridgestone and they suck with their corporate backing of their warranty. I replaced Michelin with Bridgestone's on a 1990 Honda Accord, they came with lifetime 50% replacement cost. When they needed to be replaced, they all had slight uneven tire wear though they were all rotated every 5,000 miles but was told wouldn't honor the warranty deal because I did not get wheel alignments every 5,000 miles. So I wore them down to the ply braids then wrote the company, the response was to bring them to a company owned Firestone store. They refused because they had to measure the tread depth to qualify and since there was no tread left, they could not measure it. Switched to Michelins. I had Michelins on a 2005 Toyota RAV. Switched to Bridgestone, they vibrated; rebalanced, vibrated; replaced 2 fronts, vibrated; replaced all four, vibrated; replaced with Michelin, no problem.
Hi. It is important to list the model of the brand as it does matters. Michelins Primacy have problems with cracked sidewalls. So not too pleased with that I had Turanza Serenity Plus on my 07 Accord and they were nice and quiet. But that was back in West Coast. Now I reside in the East Coast, I need an all seasons that can handle light snow and I want minimal noise on the tires. Since Bridgestone just came out with the new QuietTrack, there is no history to tell if it meets my criteria.
Originally Posted by Gebo
painfx, Michelin no doubt. You may consider going to a local dealer that will match Costco's price and I'd wait until you could get the $70 rebate (if you can't get it now) I have had problems with Michelin's in my 40 years of driving and I found that I did not get the customer service I expected from Sams and Costco.I I have had mileage warranty issues with 2 sets and a local dealer who wants to keep your business can really help. I love getting new sets of tires for 66% of the new price... A local dealer depends on your business and you being a repeat customer. I'm wondering how valuable you are to a Costco Tire shop? Now if you don't have any problems it won't make any difference but pray tell you do, you may find working with a local Michelin dealer produces better results.
What problems did you had with your Michelins?
Originally Posted by krzyss
Well with 19" wheels I would buy 16" for winter. There must be a lot of empty space between calipers and rims. Crazy wheel/tires nowadays. KrzyÅ›
19 inch is what it came at Factory. I wasnt planning to buy another set of wheels just for winter.
Originally Posted by 02SE
I haven't been overly impressed with Bridgestone car and truck tires, but they have made some excellent motorcycle tires in recent years. Michelin car and truck tires have been a bit hit or miss for me. Some models are excellent, others, less so. Same for their motorcycle tires, IME.
Which model were you not impressed with?
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Gebo
painfx, Michelin no doubt. You may consider going to a local dealer that will match Costco's price and I'd wait until you could get the $70 rebate (if you can't get it now) I have had problems with Michelin's in my 40 years of driving and I found that I did not get the customer service I expected from Sams and Costco.I I have had mileage warranty issues with 2 sets and a local dealer who wants to keep your business can really help. I love getting new sets of tires for 66% of the new price... A local dealer depends on your business and you being a repeat customer. I'm wondering how valuable you are to a Costco Tire shop? Now if you don't have any problems it won't make any difference but pray tell you do, you may find working with a local Michelin dealer produces better results.
I have some Michelins I got from Costco. They basically had the best price because they also run their 1 cent installation sale along with the $70 rebate so it makes it way cheaper than Tirerack even if you find a cheap installer. Plus they include road hazard, lifetime rotation and balance. The problem with the local tire stores price matching is that they don't include those services.
That is true. Does yours have problems with cracked sidewalls overtime?
 
Top