Michelin finally makes a tire for my SRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by geeman789

I tend to agree. Tires are supposed to express "oils" that work their way out to the surface to protect them. If you've removed those oils with a heavy duty degreaser, you've removed that protection.

So, does a tire shine or deep black tire dressing help or hurt a tires resistance to age cracking ... ?

Not sure, likely depends on how it interacts with the tire material.

The water based PDMS dressings (armor all, 303, etc.) are not the problem. The problem lies with the petroleum-based tire dressings used by volume car washes and reconditioning shops.

Thanks. I recall CapriRacer posted on this some time back but I haven't bothered to go looking for it.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Two sets of very-expensive tires were thrown away with most of the tread...one failed inspection, one actually had 2 tires leaking air! Michelin refused to lift a finger, accusing both of them (and it was an accusation) of using Armor-All.

Did they use Armour-All?
lol.gif

On a scraped-up Ram 2500 without a single straight body panel? Uhh...no. (Though I think he does use Simple Green.)

Wonder if the latter negatively interacts with the tire material then?
21.gif

It didn't bother the tires the Michelins replaced. It didn't bother the Yokohamas that replaced the Michelins.

Edit: wait, no, wrong guy-the Audi driver used Simple Green. AFAIK, the Ram owner used nothing but a garden hose.

Last edited:

It didn't bother the tires the Michelins replaced. It didn't bother the Yokohamas that replaced the Michelins.

Edit: wait, no, wrong guy-the Audi driver used Simple Green. AFAIK, the Ram owner used nothing but a garden hose.

I could see the simple green being a problem, but not the garden hose.

Thanks. I recall CapriRacer posted on this some time back but I haven't bothered to go looking for it.

Anything that dissolves the rubber is bad - and petroleum distillates do. Not only is the rubber damaged, but the waxes and antioxidants (AO's) are removed. Those waxes and AO's slow down the rate that oxygen attacks the rubber's chemical bonds.

So only use tire dressings that have AO's in them and don't have petroleum distillates. Unfortunately, those are not as shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back