Michelin finally makes a tire for my SRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Good choice. They should ride better since they are not run flats.

BMW, who started all this nonsense is bringing back spare tire. I think we all see where this is going.

Actually, it was Michelin, in the 1930's, for the military.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

BMW, who started all this nonsense is bringing back spare tire. I think we all see where this is going.

Yeah, I am talking about civilian vehicles not Pinzgauer.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I wonder if they might have been the only tire in the appropriate size and speed rating.

Up until recently, they were. Now there appear to be other options, like these and a Continental offering. The Pirelli tires are really not that bad, other than being a bit hard because they are run-flats, and obscenely expensive. We are talking ~2K USD for a set, the Michelin's will be roughly half that.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, I am talking about civilian vehicles not Pinzgauer.

Regarding common civilian use, you can thank Dunlop and the Rover group, as well as Chrysler and Goodyear. It wasn't until the 80's that BMW got in on it.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
$271 each?!? Yikes!

Then look at the price of the Pirelli ones, LOL! the Michelin's are a bargain.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
$271 each?!? Yikes!

For my Z06 they were around $500/ea, and on my 370Z, around 280 for fronts and mid 300's for the rears. Pilot Super Sports. If you're shoing a performance vehicle, which I definitely consider the SRT Jeep, and you're doing it for $1K, [censored]!

Regarding common civilian use, you can thank Dunlop and the Rover group, as well as Chrysler and Goodyear. It wasn't until the 80's that BMW got in on it.

OK, let me put this way I am talking about cars like 3series, 5 series, Charger, etc. I was driving Land Cruiser for Red Cross in 19990's with RFT, but that is not 3 series or Dodge Challenger and idea that driving those cars. I am not saying RFT is something BMW invented. They pushed it (not in 80's) hard on this in beginning of 2000's with pretty much all their car and SUV line up.

Originally Posted by Ws6
$271 each?!? Yikes!

For my Z06 they were around $500/ea, and on my 370Z, around 280 for fronts and mid 300's for the rears. Pilot Super Sports. If you're shoing a performance vehicle, which I definitely consider the SRT Jeep, and you're doing it for $1K, [censored]!

Yup, I ran the PSS's on my M5, got a good deal on them through my Chrysler dealer and she was shod for around $1,200 for all 4 corners, which was pretty good! I'm looking forward to these and it will be interesting to see what price they give me for them.

Originally Posted by Ws6
$271 each?!? Yikes!

Yup, I ran the PSS's on my M5, got a good deal on them through my Chrysler dealer and she was shod for around $1,200 for all 4 corners, which was pretty good! I'm looking forward to these and it will be interesting to see what price they give me for them.

It is funny how inexpensive Michelin PSS was and what kind of performance they were offering.

Once again Michelin offers an amazing combination of performance and value.

BTW, my tire dealer accidentally installed those all season pilots on my car so I rode on them for a week before we could get the 4's I wanted. They are far from a summer tire IME, but probably an excellent all season tire. No snow here, so I haven't the slightest idea there. But I bet they kill those Pirellis...

Originally Posted by geeman789
I have the Pilot A/S 3+ on ( actually, beside ... they are still in the garage tire rack for a week or two) my not quite a HEMI all wheel drive Subaru ... More dry grip than I'll ever need, very, very good in the wet, reasonably quiet etc. and they were dirt cheap through Costco, with the $ 70.00 instant rebate.

They are WEAK in the winter ... but, I run winter tires for 6 freakin' months of the year ...

Agree. +1

$271 each?!? Yikes!

Gotta pay to play, lol. I've done new sets of tires for that price, but as you can guess, I have a completely different set of exceptions!

Originally Posted by supton
$271 each?!? Yikes!

Gotta pay to play, lol. I've done new sets of tires for that price, but as you can guess, I have a completely different set of exceptions!

Try these ...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by double vanos
What?! BMW is offering spare tires and dipsticks too? Everything old is new again....

Yep. New 3 series is getting spare as an option (eliminates RFT) and new V8's are getting dipstick.

Our local Costco had a used for a week set that a customer actually returned because, in his words, they were VERY BAD in snow. Kind of easy to guess that just looking at the tread pattern ...

Michelin dealers push these to the WRX and Forester guys, but they could also wear fast - I steered a friend with a Fozzie to get the Defender T+Hs due to his driving style.

I think the OP's SRT is a candidate for the Pilot Sport 4S if one was available for that size - but that would also mean he can't drive the car if it falls below 40*F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
Our local Costco had a used for a week set that a customer actually returned because, in his words, they were VERY BAD in snow. Kind of easy to guess that just looking at the tread pattern ...

Michelin dealers push these to the WRX and Forester guys, but they could also wear fast - I steered a friend with a Fozzie to get the Defender T+Hs due to his driving style.

I think the OP's SRT is a candidate for the Pilot Sport 4S if one was available for that size - but that would also mean he can't drive the car if it falls below 40*F.

I'd run them, or the Super Sport, if they were available in my size in a heartbeat. I have dedicated cold weather tires and ran the PSS on my M5 and loved them. Unfortunately, in this size, they are not available.

Originally Posted by nthach

When you have snow tires, that is not an issue.

To the OP-

Good luck in your purchase decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back