Brew taste like.....yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out of kits and tried some other new techniques. One of them, that I read from another forum, was let brew sit in primary for 12 plus days and then go straight to the keg, no secondary. I did this and boy, this is the worst brew I've ever made. I thinking I didn't age it enough, one week in the kegerator. Does aging take longer when it's cold? Or should I have left the keg out a while before placing it in the kegerator???

Hoppy and bitter at the same time. Only used 1 ounce each of Willamette hops for bittering and then finishing. Doing partial boils. Read on a forum that 80% of the bittering characteristics are gone by the first 30 minutes of boiling. Saw no need to do hour long boils. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough for it to age.

You need a long hard boil. Bittering doesn't leave that fast. Aroma and flavor may, but that's why you hop at different times during the boil.

Hard to say without sniffing, but I assume you have some protein problems, some funky bacteria and some hop weirdness going on.

Hour long boils are the bare minimum to get proper conversion of the hop's humulones (what comprises the alpha acids and what provides bitterness to balance out malt sweetness). These do not boil out over a long boil, they become more efficiently converted to bittering units. What boils out are the essential oils. The essential oils are what create hop aroma and flavor. This is why for many styles you will add hops at various intervals during the boil (or dry hop during fermentation).

It’s critical that you boil for at least an hour. You want to make sure your get a good protein break and good coagulation of the protein chunks (technical term) during the boil, and this takes time. Two weeks in the primary should have been just fine. There is no issue there.

What type of yeast did you use? The number one # 1 (for added emphasis) reason for bad tasting beer is fermentation problems due to either poor sanitation or dry yeast. If your sanitation is good and you are using dry yeast, then try switching next time to fresh pure liquid yeast. Dry yeast is notoriously contaminated with undesirable “wild” yeast cells that F up the intended flavor.

Hi, Joe.

I am assuming you have a 5gal batch. 2oz of hops is a lot for any brew but a dark and heavy one that may balance it out. I have three brews on tap now that I added too much hops to. Still, too much is tasty. I'll certainly be less heavy handed on the next ones.

What type of beer is it? How much grain/extract did you use? What was the target type/taste? What yeast? What percent/pounds of what grain types?

I boil at least one hour, sometimes more if the recipe or type calls for it. Your bittering hops at the start of the boil give it the base bitterness, and the hops you add towards the last of the boil give it aroma. A full ounce of hops at the beginning is going to give you a very strong bitterness. A full ounce at the end will give it some aroma but will still add greatly to the overall bitterness.

After primary fermentation (usually around 1 to 2 wks), I'll go to secondary for a week. Once I've got them in the keg I'll put the keg in the cooler and let them sit. They are drinkable as soon as I can get them carbonated, but not one of them has done anything but get better over time. They usually aren't glowing until at least two weeks have passed.

I just did my first lager and had it in secondary in the cooler at 35* for three months. It's a Pilsner Urquel clone. It's still getting better by the day.

Forgot to ask...What temps are your fermentations seeing? Obviously, each yeast type has its preferred temps. Often, too high of temp (over 70*) will give off-flavors. To low of temp (below 65*) will drag out the fermentation and you may have put them in storage before they were actually completed.

I agree with the full boil. I have never done a secondary fermentation and have never had the problem you describe.
Also, be sure everything is sanitized real well, obviously.

Quote:

2oz of hops is a lot for any brew

I've made several beers with 16 ounces of hops per 5 gallons...now that's hoppy! Actually, none of the 16 ounces were boiled for more than 30 minutes (not including mash hops). Tons of hop aroma and flavor and a nice smooth bitterness
stirthepot.gif

I never knew this site had a food forum...I'm liking BITOG more every day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back