Brew for 06 GTO 6.0L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

giving advice to someone else while pretending to be an expert is simply not right.

I’ve never acted nor pretended to be an "expert," as I'm not. The owner of the vehicle is ultimately responsible for what he/she decides to use, and they are aware of that.

The suggestion of using the OEM fill with Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment and the GM approved Mobil 1 5w30 is different that giving someone medical or legal advice. There are substantial consequences to giving incorrect legal or medical advice to one and is a poor comparison between suggesting that one add Synpower Oil Treatment to their oil.

I honestly do not see your link here…I’ve already thought of the worse-case scenario that may occur if this combination does not work…he would’ve simply wasted his money. I do not see any adverse effects to adding this additive to his oil, other than him wasting his money. If the additive caused a problem with the oil, the owner can contact Valvoline. That would not be the case with medical or legal advice.

Also, I hope you understand the activity that goes on in this sub-forum. We give information and advice to each other daily.

The manuals of every GM car I have driven/inspected recently specifically contained admonishments against the use of supplementary oil additives.

If you are worried about a 'warranty', then just run Mobil-1 5W-30 straight up. Forget the other junk.

I have an '04 GTO. After seeing posts saying that the LS1 liked a heavier oil, I used 4 qt's of M1 5W-30 and two qt's of M1 15W-50. It resulted in consistent rod knock. I switched out to M1 5W-30 and have not heard it since.

I have had a 2005 Pontiac GTO with the 400 HP LS2 engine for little over a year now. The manual calls for Mobil1 5W-30 that meets GM spec: GM4718M. It's the same oil specified for the new Corvettes. Makes sense as the same engine is used in both cars.

The reason, smartguys, is if the rings aren't completly seated on a brand new engine then you are going to have a ton of zinc and phosphorous heading towards the cat with that much VSOT.

Tough crowd......I'll speak from years of experience and lots of UOA's and dyno runs....and as a owner of a highly modified 04 GTO running in the 9's now.....
My "best" ( lowest wear metal) UOA's came from 40 weight oils.....now take into consideration this is was a highly modified ( Heads/cam/intakes/nitrous etc) LS1....Now as an active member on many LSX forums I can tell you the majority of stock LSX motors are on 5-30 synthetics.....and I would support a good 30 weight on a stock LSX motor....now the thicker 30's seem to be producing the less noise/better gas mileage/performance ( Butt dyno)...GC/Amsoil/Royal Purple being the most widely used 0-30/5-30 in these motors....
I am a fan of VSOT for sure....a oz to a quart will hurt nothing and will thicken a tad and provide a good dose of Moly to boot....I would challenge anyone to show me where that would harm anything....quite the opposite....
And I would be remiss if I failed to mention my strong support of these forums that provide a wealth of experience and knowledge....yes one must turn on his/her "internet filter" but I find those posting ridiculous " experience or findings" are quickly exposed and dismissed by and large....
Michael feel confident in recommending to your friend to go with a Mobil 1 5-30/VSOT fill....and drive careful!

I have the LS2 GTO as well (and am a long time lurker on BITOG). The GTO spec calls for GM4718M (not Mobil 1 specific - that would be silly). I happen to use PP 10/30 which IS GM4718M spec'd as are many other 5w/30 and 10w/30 oils. There should be no warranty issue using them.

Additives however, as originally asked, are another issue entirely. Personally, I wouldn't do it (with or without the warranty issue).

PS - sgtgeek's advice always worth reading...

Sprintman:
Its a great car, solid ride - not all creaky like most American made cars. High speed handling is great, in mine 140 is as smooth as 75. Another example of American muscle in a foreign made body that turned out to be a good idea.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
What do you guys with GTO's think of your Holden Monaro (oops GTO)??

**** fine quality...I wish my 65 GTO had a fraction of the comfort and quality my 04 has...what do you think of the LSX series American Muscle?
smile.gif

We get LS1/LS2 which we upgrade and Ford 5.4 which we rebuild with better locally made internals and the 4 valve Ford heads on the Falcon GT/GTP which at release had notbeen used on any U.S made Ford. 400HP but LS2 has more torque of course.

Yup...I've been there...you guys are gearheads for sure:)
By the way....settle something for me....A buddy of mine is a mechanic at Kingsford Smith Airport in Sidney and we get together from time to time for a beer and lie to each other....what weight of oil is GM telling folks to put in their LS1/2's there?

I hang out from time to time on the Australian Holden boards to learn the "old" tricks on the Holden Manaro's.....the majority on there use 15-40 or 20-50 in the LS1/2's....I was curious....even 10-30 is "thicker" than what is recommended here in the states.....5-30 is the soup GM pushes here....does lead one to believe in the EPA/CAFE driven weight recommendations as these are the exact same engines and Australian weather aint all that different than Texas weather is it:)

My 420rwhp H/C LS1 SS shows it's best UOA results on 40w oils. Car is daily driven and also raced 20-50 times a year down the track. Best results were on Schaeffer 15W-40 Blend. Currently running last of my Schaeffer 10W-30 in it and will be doing a UOA this summer. Oil already has 8 passes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back