Brembo's UV Coated Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a pair of Brembo's UV Coated Rotors for the Accord. These rotors are coated with a smooth-feeling "clear paint" over the entire rotor. Usually rotors are coated with either black or grey paint, but these are coated with clear paint. It will be interesting to see how the finish holds up overtime and what the rotors look like once they get dirty.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just a rust preventor. Looks like the same coating all rotors come with which is washed off with brake cleaner prior to installing.

Last edited:
Why UV? Doesn't seem likely that ultraviolet radiation has anything to do with it.

I saw a mention somewhere recently of a paint for DIY use on brake disks, which surprised me a bit since I'd have thought it would be difficult to avoid affecting the performance.

Wonder what's in it.

Do you leave the coating on the braking surface? Also, I always thought that a non-directional finish was better for break in. Is this not true?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I always thought that a non-directional finish was better for break in. Is this not true?

Probably depends what it means.

What does it mean?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I always thought that a non-directional finish was better for break in. Is this not true?

Probably depends what it means.

What does it mean?

I assume he means the typical cross hatching that's on a a new rotor. I've heard of some new rotors that don't have the cross hatching, my assumption is that while it might help with break-in, it isn't essential for it, and that the crosshatching is more likely a byproduct of the manufacturing process.

I'm very interested in hearing how these rotors turn out, and how they do in long term rust avoidance, if for no other reason than aesthetics. I understand the UV coating is just a special paint/coating/layer that is cured with UV light?

How did the hub and wheel mating surfaces feel? Is the coating smooth with no bumps?

Thanks for posting!

The label on the box certainly is.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I understand the UV coating is just a special paint/coating/layer that is cured with UV light?

Correct. These coatings are quite popular for underbody parts.

It's a coating, not a paint. The difference is paint is supposed to last the life of the product, whereas these coatings are designed to quickly wear away on the swept area of the pads but remain elsewhere, to prevent the appearance of rust or corrosion that will show up on an untreated rotor in service. They will rust over the swept area if left sitting, but a few applications of the brake and that cleans up. It's purely cosmetic.

Cast rotors can be left as-cast, or machined to true them, sometimes leaving the cross-hatch, depending on how it's machined. Either way is fine, as long as the result is a trued surface. You can see evidence of machining on this particular rotor.

I understand the UV coating is just a special paint/coating/layer that is cured with UV light?

OK, that makes sense. Has to be something that wont contaminate/compromise the pads though, which I'd think most materials would.

I've been trying to find a DIY way slow the rusting on the non-swept area of my disks but pad contamination is a concern.

Do you leave the coating on the braking surface? Also, I always thought that a non-directional finish was better for break in. Is this not true?

The coating will wear off of the contact areas during the test drive.

A non-directional finish is one way to achieve a good-quality surface finish. It is one way, but not the only way.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Correct. These coatings are quite popular for underbody parts.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this "UV coating process" is superior to e-coating rotors?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What do you guys think of this rotor with an electrophoretic coating? Only $20 plus shipping on Rock.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6796084&cc=1433062&jsn=414

Please start your own thread.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Do you know if this "UV coating process" is superior to e-coating rotors?

I don't know. We were only worried that our parts be serviceable through the warranty period. Excessive rust would make them difficult to remove for service.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Where were the brembos made?
In small lettering on the first picture of the Brembo box, you will see "MADE IN CHINA" written on there vertically.
Disappointing for sure.
I am making a jump to conclusions that its a disappointment without knowing how good their production process is at their Chinese facility. They may be doing a private label of generic "Wan hong lo" rotors from the Shenzhen Market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back