Breaking in a Honda eu2000i Invertor/Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a brand new Honda eu2000i generator. Weingartz where I bought it prepped it with straight 30. The manual says to use 10w30. I am thinking about using Amsoils Formula 4 stroke 10w-30/sae30 small engine oil.

I want to use the right oil, and I was wondering if there was any kind of break-in I should do to make sure this motor lasts a long time.

Originally Posted By: x97labelle
I just bought a brand new Honda eu2000i generator. Weingartz where I bought it prepped it with straight 30. The manual says to use 10w30. I am thinking about using Amsoils Formula 4 stroke 10w-30/sae30 small engine oil.

I want to use the right oil, and I was wondering if there was any kind of break-in I should do to make sure this motor lasts a long time.

Sounds like you are on the correct path. Break it in with the store fill (repeat if you like) then go with the Amsoil Formula 4 stroke 10W-30/SAE30 ASE. There are other choices in Amsoil's line up, but ASE is at the top.

I'd run any dino 10W-30 for the first 10 hours or so, then drain and fill with the oil of your choice.

Last edited:
Yes, I did plan on breaking it in this summer on the regular oil.

Why is it dino oil is always recommended for break in? Does it help seat the rings better or something?

I ran the factory fill for 2 OCI of 5 hrs(10 total) then switched over to Amsoil ACD..in my new 13hp Gen.

Why is it dino oil is always recommended for break in? Does it help seat the rings better or something?

Basically it's a matter of cost. You don't really need the relatively expensive synthetic in for the short break-in period. Rings will seat just fine if you were to use synthetic oil.

To get the fine metal particles drained out. For a such a short OCI synthetic oil would be a waste really not necessary.

Your Honda engine is very fine tuned. Synthetic oil would be good choice after break in. If you are buying Amsoil also check out their fuel stabilizer. Good fuel is always better for these small engines.

I changed the factory fill on my Honda EB5000 generator at 5 hours. It was fairly glittery. I filled with straight 30 for the summer and it will get another change at the 10 hour mark. I exercise the genset monthly for an hour or so. When winter approaches, it will get a quality 10w-30.

My manual said to change at 25 hours and then at 100 hours (or yearly) after that.....to me, this was just too long of an OCI......I change the oil often enough that synthetic is probably overkill in my case. But then again, BITOG is all about overkill!

IMO, the "right oil" depends on what type of usage this generator is going to see. If it was used commercially or for days/weeks on end, I'd use a 40wt in there. Probably Rotella-T 5w40. If it's going to be a garage queen for most of it's life, any 30wt variant.

Joel

Quote:
But then again, BITOG is all about overkill!
YES!!
thumbsup2.gif

Well, not commercially and not quite a garage queen. Of course it will sit a lot and be used for emergencies. However I plan on using it on my boat several times per year so it will spend some time on the back or bow of the boat running in the hot sun. It will probably get some use running power tools, orbital waxer for the boat, etc, and maybe a tailgate or something here and there. Say 10 uses per year.

Last edited:
use amsoil ame 15w-40 syn 12tbn hdeo. i run it in everything, it is rated for marine duty engines, and severe duty diesels, its some mean stuff. I would run what you have laying around that good run it for a few hours under 50% with up to 75-80% dump that then run the 15w-40 it will cover from the heat and in the cold.

Originally Posted By: JR
use amsoil ame 15w-40 syn 12tbn hdeo. i run it in everything, it is rated for marine duty engines, and severe duty diesels, its some mean stuff. I would run what you have laying around that good run it for a few hours under 50% with up to 75-80% dump that then run the 15w-40 it will cover from the heat and in the cold.

Honda eu2000i is a small engine not like a V-8 with a different lubricating system. A 40wt will only increase heat. A 30wt is the correct viscosity for these small engine. It's a splash lubrication system which a dipper flings and splashes the oil onto the areas needed for lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
...A 40wt will only increase heat. A 30wt is the correct viscosity for these small engine...

That's completely debatable.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
...A 40wt will only increase heat. A 30wt is the correct viscosity for these small engine...

That's completely debatable.

Joel

For a Honda eu2000i?...The Ame 15w-40 is to heavy for this small engine.

Possibly, given the OP lives in the Detroit area. 5w40 would probably suit him perfectly (I never said 15w40). Again, it depends on how/where the unit is used. For example, for continuous days on end usage in something like South Florida heat, you'd want something more substantial than a 30wt in there if you want the unit to last for years.

Joel

Possibly, given the OP lives in the Detroit area. 5w40 would probably suit him perfectly (I never said 15w40). Again, it depends on how/where the unit is used. For example, for continuous days on end usage in something like South Florida heat, you'd want something more substantial than a 30wt in there if you want the unit to last for years.

Joel

How about:

M-1 4T Motorcycle Synthetic oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591

Joel

How about:

M-1 4T Motorcycle Synthetic oil?

Perfect!! great add pack
thumbsup2.gif

For such a small efficient Honda eu2000 generator nah a proper synthetic 30wt is all it needs. The Amsoil ASE(30wt) is more than enough, but for the hardcore Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w-30 being overkill.... But you some they want the BEST!

For such a small efficient Honda eu2000 generator nah a proper synthetic 30wt is all it needs. The Amsoil ASE(30wt) is more than enough, but for the hardcore Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w-30 being overkill.... But you some they want the BEST!

Amsoil ASE 10W-30 is great for your application. If you want overkill then Amsoil 10W-30 MCT Motorcycle Synthetic oil as you get more anti-wear ZDDP in it. Tops...a good synthetic 5w-40...but that's it viscosity wise. My Honda 4 HP and 9 HP snowblower engines do great with Amsoil 5W-30 Heavy Duty.

Honda's are not "loose tolerance" engines (like Briggs are not to mention names).

Sounds like you want overkill! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back