Breaking in a Honda eu2000i Invertor/Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pete591
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
For such a small efficient Honda eu2000 generator nah a proper synthetic 30wt is all it needs. The Amsoil ASE(30wt) is more than enough, but for the hardcore Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w-30 being overkill.... But you some they want the BEST!

Amsoil ASE 10W-30 is great for your application. If you want overkill then Amsoil 10W-30 MCT Motorcycle Synthetic oil as you get more anti-wear ZDDP in it. Tops...a good synthetic 5w-40...but that's it viscosity wise.

Who says(5w-40)...for a Honda eu2000 generator..Your thinking car engines..I'm thinking small engines.

If it was mine I would consider (BRAD-PENN break in 30 weight or Royal-Purple break in) and be sure ambient was above 40F. I would run Castrol HD 30 if I knew the ambient was always going to be above 40 F. and GC if I the ambient might go below 40 F.

For storage I would perfer Amsoil Formula 4 stroke 10W-30/SAE30 ASE, and use that oil for a normal amout of run time if required.

JimPghPa

I have a small generator and changed the oil after only five minutes. The oil that came out was very glitery. I changed it a few more times until the oil was glitter free. I would do the same for your honda. Leaving oil in a new engine thats full of metal can't be good for the long haul.

Re:Break-in:

Do a "simple" Google search for the following words

Power News Magazine MotoMan break-in

You will have to sign onto the site, there is no cost.

This site says that with modern engines getting the rings to properly break in is what it is all about. It tells that this happens very early in the running of a new engine, and you either get it right or you don't.

It also says change the oil very early and you will require several fills and drains to get all the small particles out. And probably a second and possibly a third very early oil change.

To break in the rings, warm it up first, then to do three runs at about 1/3 of full load cooling down between runs, then three runs at 2/3 of full load cooling down between runs, and three runs at full load cooling down between runs.

Visit the site and read. There are some really good pictures of pistons, there rings and resulting residue on the side of the piston when not properly broken-in.

You have to realize that for each problem pistons there is also a problem cylinder.

JimPghPa

For what it's worth my new Honda mower wants the oil changed after the first 5hrs, then every 50hrs. So you most likely have a 5hr break in period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back