Break in Oil in a Kia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to get caught in that, "my oil is better than your oil' conflict, I just have a serious question.

How can I find out, what break in oil Kia uses in their new cars?

They might not call it "Break in Oil" but its still the oil that they put in at the Factory.
Is there a way to find this out?

Thanks Mates!
Shadow
cool.gif

Last edited:
If its a Korean built engine its likely a SK Synthetic produced 5W30 at least at Ulsan. If its a US built engine my guess is its Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W20.

While they dont use breakin oil per say they do fill it full of liquid assembly lube and its not unusual to see 650 ppm Moly in the factory fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
i thought they used qs?

Hyundai is on the Quaker state train, my Kia manual recommends "total quartz" motor oil...

Last edited:
Total Quartz. No break-in oil is used. As for Hyundai, QSGB or Formula Shell. Dealer fill is conventional oil, not syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Total Quartz. No break-in oil is used. As for Hyundai, QSGB or Formula Shell. Dealer fill is conventional oil, not syn.

I was told the oil at Hope Hull (Montgomery) was QSUD so factory fill on US built engines is synthetic. Dealers that are part of Hyundais Oil Program get Quaker State Advanced Durabilty aka Green Bottle but many dealers are not part of the program. Local dealer here uses Mobil Special 5W30.

As stated you will find a very high moly content in factory oil to the liquid assembly lube added at the factory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: wemay

I was told the oil at Hope Hull (Montgomery) was QSUD so factory fill on US built engines is synthetic. Dealers that are part of Hyundais Oil Program get Quaker State Advanced Durabilty aka Green Bottle but many dealers are not part of the program. Local dealer here uses Mobil Special 5W30.

As stated you will find a very high moly content in factory oil to the liquid assembly lube added at the factory.

Of the two near me, one (part of the partnership) uses QSAD (GB), the other, Formula Shell as bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back