Brand new engines not using oil initially?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of years ago the guys on the Honda forums were asking about magnetic drain plugs and I made this video for them.

This type operation has the genset basically idling for days on end sucking off a extended run tank using a bergs kit. Running laptops chargers and stereos etc and a heater at night. Very low load.

With an iron liner Im guessing you will pull a goodly amount of fuzz onto a plug like this if you get one with high hour running.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko_lwhe8Bgo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The china predator engines I believe are copies of the Honda. Buy a Honda engine, take it apart, make an exact copy of every part and you have essentially the same thing. Only you have no research, engineering, designing, and testing, no huge sums of money to spend. Take ideas, steal them, copy with cheap labor, and smile.

Yup you can copy designs, and you can copy parts - but you can't make good quality parts cheap.

One indicator of the quality of material in valve train is the suggested lash inspection interval.

All the predators I've seen are 100 hour intervals - 1/3 of their Japanese counterparts.

Doesn't make it a bad generator, but it completely changes the value proposition if you intend to use the device high hours.

In growing up between 2 farms in Indiana, owning a mobile dog grooming business, and RV/toyhaulers - I've worn out more generators than most guys will ever own.

horrifically I own 6 right now....

2 - Honda 2K's
Yamaha ise300EB
Onan 4K
Onan 8K diesel
Powertech 8K diesel.

UD

Holy [censored]. I'm curious since you've had so much experience with them. Are you a fan of 15w40 or 25-50 oils in generators instead of the factory speced 10w30?

At change time, I typically run whatever the most of I have on the shelf at that moment. They eat a wide range of stuff.

0w-30
5/10w-30
0w40
5w40
10w40

I try to run the lighter grade stuff in the water cooled engines and the heavier stuff in the air cooled engine.

They really don't seem to care one way or the other as long as the get clean oil, filters and fresh fuel.

I drain all float bowls or run em dry and rotate fuel every 6 months at most.

UD

Last edited:
I know my Honda gx390 seems to rattle a bit like valvetrain rattle and then goes away once the engine is good and hot. Not sure what that means if anything.

Here is a guy in Canada that bought a brand new GX and a Chinese clone then disassembled them side by side. The Chinese copy is labeled Powerfist but I'm sure it's the same as a Harbor Freight Predator.

Watched the video - most of it. Could have been done in half the time had he used pneumatic tools more often. Nonetheless it was revealing.

Most of the stuff he was criticizing would have little effect on engine performance. However, it's a good indication that the stuff that does matter, may also be on the shoddy side compared to the Honda.

Balance and precision go a long way to ensure engine durability.

What must also be acknowledged is cost. Is it worthwhile to spend three times more for a genuine Honda engine mounted on a piece of equipment that will likely fail well before the engine does? Even Chinese clones outlive much of the equipment they're mounted on. For commercial/industrial applications, genuine Japanese engines are a must unless the idea is to throw the equipment away after the job.

Another point I'd like to make is that the "Power Fist" engine looks to be low quality even by Chinese standards. I've worked on Chinese built Mitsubishi and Hyundai small engines and both were assembled with much nicer appearing components and much better finish. Not quite in the same league as genuine Japanese engines but nowhere near the cost either.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Here is a guy in Canada that bought a brand new GX and a Chinese clone then disassembled them side by side. The Chinese copy is labeled Powerfist but I'm sure it's the same as a Harbor Freight Predator.

Powerfist is the brand Princess Auto sells up here. Alot of stuff branded with that name is cheap garbage. Maybe the engines are different?

I was quite surprised with my Gravely ProTurn (Kaw FS691) that is has yet to use a drop of oil from 0 hrs to it now having 32 hours. I check it weekly just in case, but it doesn't move.

I like to break-in aircooled engines under load. I broke in my zero turn mower at 3/4 throttle in high grass to load it up, i think it helps the rings seat and seal. Uses no oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back