Brand-New Car has Swirled Paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lady hit my sister, totaling her 2004 Explorer, and she just bought a brand-new 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, black in color. She looked and looked to find what she wanted, and went to many dealerships, etc. (I actually started a couple of threads in General about it - she originally wanted an Armada.)

I drove from Nashville to Memphis to visit them, as yesterday was her birthday. Bro-in-law gets home in the new Pathfinder, I go out to look at it. It's dark outside, but the outside floodlights are shining on it in the driveway.

I look at the hood and it's got swirls in the paint - looks like somebody who didn't know what he was doing put a power buffer on it. Freaking makes me sick. Crazy thing is, the paint is completely dry - there's not a trace of wax in it.

Why in the world would they put a buffer on a brand-new car, if not to wax it?

Now, my sister and bro-in-law aren't "car people," and haven't noticed the damaged paint. They just don't notice stuff like that. I don't want to say anything about it, as it will just cause them to have worry and discontent over their new car that they just paid $30,000+ for. But, at the same time, it ticks me off, and I plan on calling the dealership and asking them who the heck they've got in charge of getting new cars ready.

Even if I decided to bring this to my sister and bro-in-law's attention and advise them to pursue the dealership for a fix, I wouldn't trust the dealership to TOUCH that car again.

Even though it's not my car, it still aggravates me. Having worked at a dealership in the past, and seeing that most "detail departments" or "get ready" departments at dealerships are a joke and employ people who don't know jack about detailing a vehicle, when I buy a new vehicle, I specify that no one in the "detail" department is to TOUCH my vehicle. I will wash and wax it when I get it home. Unfortunately I don't live in the same town as my sister and bro-in-law. Otherwise I would have gotten involved to ensure everything was Kosher.

I know a little bit about detailing, but I've never touched a buffing machine. I always wax by hand. These swirls are probably going to require a buffer (operated by someone who is qualified).

I'm at least going to call the dealership manager and warn him that whoever he's got in charge of new car get-ready hasn't the slightest clue what he's doing back there.

What would you do??

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post.

I brought my trusty Meguiar's #26; I'd planned in putting a nice coat of wax on their new car for them.

Dealerships are notorious for utilizing poor techniques for washing cars. At most dealerships, you'll find a bucket of very dirty soapy wash water being used for washing. The shammy will often be heavily stained with dirt.

If the car has sat on the lot for an extended period of time, the washing done by the lot lizards will also make the issue more severe.

Obviously, black paint will show any imperfections. Some paints are softer than others and most Japanese imports tend to have very soft paints that are easily swirled and marred.

If the swirls are just light swirls, then a 1-step polish on a Rupes21 or Flex using HD Polish or M205 should be able to permanently remove them.

However, if your sister has no intention of utilizing the 2-bucket method for washing, then this may be a pointless endeavor since the vehicle will be swirled up again in no time.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I'm at least going to call the dealership manager and warn him that whoever he's got in charge of new car get-ready hasn't the slightest clue what he's doing back there.

What would you do??

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post.

The dealership manager already knows this. It's why they use *filler* heavy glazes/ polishes. It's all in the name of speed when new car prep/ delivery is concerned.

If they don't notice it then leave it be. They probably don't care and even if it gets corrected, it will just end up in the same condition in the future.

Just what I would want,spend 30K and have damaged paint aleady.Seems new vehicles are treated as bad as old ones by dealers/shops (its not theirs afterall).Things like this would keep me out of the new car market forever.We all get antsy about getting the first scratch...but when the dealer screws it up before it even sees any mileage at all,thats the living end.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

What would you do??

I'd refuse the vehicle, black is very hard to fix once screwed up.

This is typical of a lot of dealerships. They have lot jockeys clean cars for delivery and they screw up the paint, I've seen it more than once. I sold a KIA Sephia, brand new on a Saturday for a spot delivery. I sent the lot boy with the car to the car wash to have it detailed. I get a phone call he crashed into another car at the car wash. I watched a new mechanic put an XL7 on the lift with both doors on the drivers side open, he actually bent the center pillar and the car was a total loss. Those are two of the more memorable stories I have there's a lot more. Screwing up a perfect paint job was a very common and easy occurrence.

When I buy a new car I have them write on the buyers order CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT THE CAR WASHED OR DETAILED! I ask that they do the PDI, check fluids and I take title during the day when it isn't raining. I check the vehicle over with the salesman, and clean it myself when I get home.

That sucks. What ever happened to car dealers taking care of their customers?

The dealer I got my car from (and my parents) has a top-notch body shop and they make sure to treat their customer cars excellent.

When I was shopping for a new Mazda, the saleman said I'd get a free oil change and washes every time I wanted for life. All I could do is smile because they will never touch it. Ed

I would never let another person wash my car.

You might be able to call the salesperson and calmly explain that you were disappointed to see the paint was horribly swirled from obvious sloppy washing techniques, but I doubt you'll get anywhere. The car is sold as-is.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
If they don't notice it then leave it be. They probably don't care and even if it gets corrected, it will just end up in the same condition in the future.

Agreed. An anonymous letter to the manager of the dealer might get his attention, but likely not. Mid not worry them. They already bought a vehicle with the worst possible color to keep looking good, and apparently don't care.

The risk you run is making swirls more visible so they do notice and blame you.

I'd just stay away. If they aren't interested in being proactive, not much will help. I'd just make the recommendation to wax it with some specific items, or give them a wash/wax kit as a new car gift and leave it at that.

The dealership can't fix a problem they don't know about. I'd speak to someone there and make sure you have a picture with you. Just make sure you do it in a calm and constructive manner.

I'll also submit, if there isn't a trace of wax on the car, paint imperfections are often buffed at the factory. Most cars roll off the line onto a lot waiting to get picked up. Ones with things to be addressed are herded into a corral and fixed before they can go outside.

I was once upon a time a master Ford salesman. I can vouch for the lousy car washing. We had a drive through carwash that was not "touchless" and it screwed up a lot of cars paint just like you describe. They were only handwashed and waxed for delivery.

It's not your business, move on. Were it your car and your money that would be different. Nobody likes a buttinski.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
It's not your business, move on. Were it your car and your money that would be different. Nobody likes a buttinski.

Your reply is my favorite. I value brevity, though I'm not always great at speaking with brevity myself.

I washed the Pathfinder this morning and put a coat of #26 on it, and that minimized the look of the swirls.

My sister and her husband haven't noticed the swirls, and likely never will, so I've decided not to bring it to their attention. She said it looked great after I waxed it.

I wish I had been there when she was looking at it - I would have advised her not to take delivery. Even though it's not mine, it ticks me off that people would be this careless. That said, they are in blissful ignorance of the situation...

I now have an idea of how the swirls were caused - there is a sticker in the driver's window advertising some type of "seal coating." In my experience, this is a worthless bottom-line booster for the dealer. There couldn't have been any type of paint protector on it because the paint was dry as a bone, and didn't bead water at all. I'll try to remember to photograph the sticker in the window.

To anyone buying a new vehicle who doesn't already know this, avoid any "paint protection package" or "seal coat" offered by the dealer. They will claim that this "sealant" lasts the life of the vehicle, and et cetera...

Anyone who knows a lick about real paint protection knows that there is no way any product can protect paint "forever." Waxes and sealants are sacrificial coatings designed to ablate as they're exposed to weather, dirt, bugs, sun, etc, therefore holding off paint erosion, temporarily. And they must be re-applied periodically as they wear away.

Its more than likely that the dealer has someone who hasn't a clue what he's doing applying this "paint protecting seal coating" with some type of buffer, screwing up brand-new, perfect paint in the process.

I intend to call the dealer and have a little word with the GM about it. If nothing else, maybe it'll save some other folks from getting a brand-new car with damaged finish.

Here are some photos - I even found scratches in the hood. This is post-wax:

F8F3919A-5383-4C52-AFDA-D896DFC35C0F-3567-00000422C30659E9_zps5d33af75.jpg

F0DC9B49-8AA7-4227-A1BB-DBC26D06AA27-3567-000004230012921C_zps82dabdba.jpg

1CE83B8C-8723-4B4F-A9E3-36D743AFBAD4-3567-00000422F1982A23_zps26293206.jpg

D6134232-1431-414F-904C-5670DDE4BA91-3567-00000422D5C22E1F_zps75797409.jpg

Scratches in hood:

290C3CA5-6205-4E31-94D9-477E82A4AEF9-3567-00000422E2DA5966_zps2f49e9f1.jpg

It's still a VERY nice vehicle (OK, us car guys aren't big fans of CVTs) that will suit her needs very well.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

Best post in this thread!

I took my ATS in for an oil change last week, and when they brought it around the guy said "Oh, they didn't wash it. Let me run it through the car wash for you." I looked over at the stationary one stall size car wash with all these nasty looking brushes and quickly said "Oh don't worry about washing it, it's going to rain anyway!"

In a few weeks it will be swirled up again once it goes through an automated car wash. The suv looked fine to your sister and brother in law when they took delivery and they are the decision makers. If the vehicle was going to be entered into the Smithsonian then you'd have a case for it to look perfect. Maintaining a black paint job is a part time job on a daily driver. If you're still so concerned about it, detail it for them once or twice a year. Tell them to keep an eye on bird bombs and how to properly clean them. Or you can clean them.

I remember seeing a black S2000 in the Honda showroom with swirls on it. Oh well, not the end of the world.

I emailed the GM of the dealership. He responded promptly, thanked me for bringing the matter to his attention, and said he'd "definitely look into this matter."

Be prepared for an apology and several certificates for free oil changes or car washes. That's the standard "sorry you are not happy" response.

The dealership we bought our car from offers $1 car washes for life when you have your what they call "bling plate" which is the dealerships advertisement license plate frame. They have a touch? car wash the ones with the spinning arms that never get cleaned or changed in their life. Yeah I got a call when I went to test drive it AND pick it up for delivery; both times "yeah I'm running it through the car was right now" come out to look at the silver paint and lets just say this early summer I'm going to put about 10 hours into the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back