Brakes bled with Motive Power Bleeder - so nice!

cos

This was the second time using the Motive Power Bleeder on my SRX. Again, I have to say, it's sooooo much easier/faster than having someone pump the brake pedal a zillion times. The Motive is worth every penny!

The old fluid was 3 yrs old and looked decent for it's age. I pushed 48 oz of fresh fluid (12 oz in the master and 36 oz in the Motive) through the system. Of course I siphoned out the old fluid from the master and refilled with fresh before I attached the Motive bleeder. Old and new fluid was Prestone High Temp DOT 3 - Minimum dry boiling point: 460 F. Minimum wet boiling point: 284 F.

Attachments

• Motive.jpg
    Motive.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Old fluid.jpg
    Old fluid.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 96
I always did it the old fashioned way but can see the advantages especially when its always a possibility of the master cylinder getting damaged by pumping its piston past a roughened area of its bore. Curious of the cost of your power bleeder.

I have a Speedi-Bleed which is also a 'pressure' bleeder.
Looking at your fluid, now that you have the Motive, I'd flush the brake fluid every two years.

I'm all about saving money.
How much $ did you save doing it yourself?

I have the Motive bleeder with reservoir caps for GM and a Ford Taurus. It worked well. I bled the entire system with a newly installed master brake cylinder on a GM hydro boost system on my 3/4 ton Suburban. Although I did try to bench bleed the master brake cylinder there was still some air in it, and I had to pump the petal while under pressure to get out the last of the air. It is now good and firm.

Like oil, looks mean little. Would need to test for moisture and copper, and guess whether data was acceptable or not. 3 years is considerably more maintenance than what most brake systems will see.

I believe my VW calls for it every 2 years, and even issued an updated 'owners manual page insert to start at year 3" and then every 2 years so that vw wouldn't have to pay for it the 1st time during the '2 year free maintenance window'. :(

Have been using the Honda brake fluid since its the nearest dealer. Will have to give the Dow/GM fluid a try if I ever drive by their parts department. I have 3 cars that need to be 'Motived' this summer.

I've been using a handheld vacuum pump bleeder instead and find it more convenient because it doesn't need an air source nor the various reservoir cap adapters. Only disadvantage is that you sometimes need to put a bit of grease around the bleeder screws to get a good seal.

I don't know what a shop would charge for a thorough brake bleed, if they would even do it all. I'd guess at least $100 for one hours worth of labor + the cost fo the fluid. I highly doubt the average shop or dealer would be as thorough as we tend to be. As for the price of a Motive bleeder, I bought mine about 4 yrs ago, but new they range from $60 to $90 on Amazon.

As for bleeding every two yrs - I feel that's overkill. When I was younger, in the pre BITOG days, I used to do it every year. I still hear older mechanics say you don't have to do it because "it's a sealed system". Ha.

I LOVE my Motive Bleeder. I maintain 5 (GM) cars and I can't even tell you how many times I've used it anymore; but I'm sure it has more than paid for itself. Motive sells parts on their website and I've replaced the (rubber)? washer where it attaches to the MC. And don't forget to actually check the fluid with the test strips. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753MZT7...colid=JP6PZJ4QV30C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it With the Motive bleeder, bleeding becomes a one man job, and, combined with speed bleeders, I can bleed all 4 corners simultaneously. I also use Bosch Esi6 (Extended Service interval) fluid; Bosch advertises the fluid lasts 100% longer than DOT 3 https://www.boschautoparts.com/p/esi-brake-fluid Dry boiling point 520F and wet boiling point 360F blows away everything else I can find.

I still hear older mechanics say you don't have to do it because "it's a sealed system". Ha.
Do they think the bleeder screw is only for a one-time use when a caliper is installed ? :ROFLMAO:

I e had one of these for a few years now and it’s just a wonderful tool. Cannot recommend enough (especially if you have multiple vehicles with the same cap adaptor).

Back