Brake Pad Spreader

This is the simplest one to use for dual piston calipers:

Lisle Dual Piston Caliper Tool

This one is for single piston calipers:

Lisle Single Piston Caliper Tool

The Lisle pistol style tools are much easier and quicker to use than the ratcheting style shown below because the ratcheting type freewheels until it is under tension as RamFan indicated above. I own both style tools and never use the ratcheting one.
1687314010460.png

Last edited:
I've been using Vise Grip C clamp pliers for years. I've tried the brake tools and most are more trouble and not useful for anything else. I don't have any crazy 4 or 6 piston caliper vehicles to worry about though

OEMTOOLS 27277 Dual/Single Disc Brake Pad Spreader, Brake Caliper Compression Tool, Dual Piston Caliper Tool, Disk Brake Spreader, Brake Caliper Tool https://a.co/d/3Q9z24j

I’ve had the Mac version of this tool for around 20 years now. Works great.

The Lisle pistol style tools are much easier and quicker to use than the ratcheting style shown below because the ratcheting type freewheels until it is under tension as RamFan indicated above. I own both style tools and never use the ratcheting one.
View attachment 162524
Does the Ratchet have forward and reverse ?

View attachment 162524
fascinating the pic of the dual piston looks like my wife's GM car, literally.

But I'm thinking the spreader is for a fixed caliper, not a floating one, at least that's what I thought. I've gotten away with a C clamp even on fixed, but it would be nice to have a tool. Not to mention to eliminate the see saw effect with a multi piston setup on both sides

I’ve got this one. It works decently, sometimes you need to “hand compress” to get the ratchet to engage.

EWK Spreader.
That one looks decent too.
Soapbox:
Its a $17 tool I use 1-3 times a year.. plenty happy with the one I linked.
You just need to pinch them for a sec so they will ratchet to engage initially..
literally 5s not a big deal.. way easier than my c clamp and cost 17$ including a couple decent caliper hangers.

to remove it will slide out(or you can reverse ratchet once) then spin the ears to retract.

Back