Brake Pad & Rotor Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I plan on replacing my brake pads along with my rotors in the near future. In the past I've used Duralast rotors and Cmax pads with good results. The lifetime warranty is pretty nice, but I've also been thinking about Wearever rotors and pads, any suggestions?

I've looked at EBC Red Stuff pads but I hear they wear out pretty quickly. I want something on par or slightly better that OEM.

-Thanks

Last edited:
Is there any $ limitation.

I will just relay my only pad/rotor experience. I bought Beck Arnley rotors and Centric posi-quiet pads and they have been rock solid the 70K miles I've been using them. The rotors still run true and the squealer is just beginning to make noise.

I have a light car and do a lot of highway miles, but this combo dispelled my fear of all aftermarket parts being junk.

I used the Wearever Gold pads from Advance Auto and they lasted a long time. The only drawback was the grinding noise when cold from semi-metalic material. Not sure about dusting, some brake pads get your wheels nasty in no time at all.

A lot of shops use the wearever rotors due to the cost savings. I don't think those are the best quality rotors, but cheap enough to replace at every brake job.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Is there any $ limitation.

I will just relay my only pad/rotor experience. I bought Beck Arnley rotors and Centric posi-quiet pads and they have been rock solid the 70K miles I've been using them. The rotors still run true and the squealer is just beginning to make noise.

I have a light car and do a lot of highway miles, but this combo dispelled my fear of all aftermarket parts being junk.

Sounds like a good combo, my budget is $500.

-Thanks

I'm going to be in the minority here:

I used AAP Wearever Platinums and cheap AAP rotors last time, and I like this combination a lot. It isn't quite the hardest biting, fastest stopping combination I've ever used - BUT it is the cleanest, quietest, and smoothest combination I've used. The stopping distance vs required braking force is good but not excellent. Nice combo for standard and economy applications.

My last set of EBC Reds went 60k.

Centric has great rotor blanks with usually a cryo or highcarbon option too.

AAP Wearever rotors (aka Napa Premium rotors) with either AdaptiveOne pads from Napa or Wagner TQs from AAP. Utilize coupon codes and you will easily stay under your budget.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I use brembo discs & pagid pads, they have different materials and compounds to choose from so you can tailor the brakes to taste.

Those might be made by those companies for Swift's 'dai, but they are NOT made for many, (even most), domestics here.

Brembo used to make blank, un-drilled, not slotted, quality rotors for my car, cast in Italy, but NO longer.
frown.gif

Pagid NEVER made pads for my car, although I believe they might make them for the y bodies ('Vettes) from the C5 onwards. (Or am I thinking of Ferodo DS2500s??)
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Olas
I use brembo discs & pagid pads, they have different materials and compounds to choose from so you can tailor the brakes to taste.

Those might be made by those companies for Swift's 'dai, but they are NOT made for many, (even most), domestics here.

Brembo used to make blank, un-drilled, not slotted, quality rotors for my car, cast in Italy, but NO longer.
frown.gif

Pagid NEVER made pads for my car, although I believe they might make them for the y bodies ('Vettes) from the C5 onwards. (Or am I thinking of Ferodo DS2500s??)
21.gif

Both companies make pads and dIscs for the Sonata, ferrodo do pads too.

To the OP, I don't know what the exchange rate looks like but if I had £500 to Improve brakes I'd be doing braided hoses at the same time, along with looking at other cars from the same maker for bigger calipers and a bigger servo, it seems like a whole lot of money just for friction bits on one axle..

EDIT
Does the Corvette share parts with other domestics? A quick google showed me that they are available UK & US so what you said is not strictly true.

Last edited:
Swifty, what is your driving style? If you drive like my mother-in-law, anything will work well. If you are a very spirited driver, you need a top quality street performance pad.

Do you need rotors? If they are not grooved much, and still within the allowable thickness, just sandpapering the rubbing surface and cleaning with brake clean will be OK.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Swifty, what is your driving style? If you drive like my mother-in-law, anything will work well. If you are a very spirited driver, you need a top quality street performance pad.

Do you need rotors? If they are not grooved much, and still within the allowable thickness, just sandpapering the rubbing surface and cleaning with brake clean will be OK.

I am a somewhat spirited driver, I do a lot of stop of a go driving also. I think I'll try EBC Red Stuff pads all around and get myself a set of 4 quality blank rotors. I had a terrible experience with Power Stop pads & rotors (drilled and slotted) on my Camry.

I have 20,000 miles on the car now, the stock rotors were shot at 12,000 miles. The brake pedal is starting to get a little bit spongy which is why I'm thinking about new brakes.
I deal with a lot of drivers stopping short on a daily basis, try to keep my distance but sometimes you have to brake hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back