Brakes & Rotors Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to rehab my front and rear brakes & rotors. As far as brakes, I can actually find solid brake pads myself, but I'm looking for help with obtaining a solid rotor manufacture (beside oem). I've read that Hawk pads are the best on the market. I've used the cheap rotors that come from AZ and AAP which are starting to give me a vibration while braking now. Maybe it's the ceramic pads with the cheap rotors that's destroying them more quickly?

I've read that slotted/drill rotors are basically just for looks with no value. Can someone give me multiple options with rotors? I plan to still use ceramic pads also.

I've had ok luck with the name brand ones at the part stores. Not the $20 ones, but the $50 ones. Usually Wagner, Raybestos or Beck/Arnley. OEM is your best bet. I am on a set of Oreilly rotors (the cheap ones) on my truck now. They have had one set of pads through them and were shaking badly towards the end of the pads. Went to have them turned and they told me next time they would be to thin to turn, and they are warped again with less than 10k since being turned. They are lifetime warranty, but I don't even care, I am going to spend 3x as much and get OEM next time.

I've been happy with the Centric Premiums I put on the 4Runner last year used with OEM pads, which are supposedly ceramic. Figure $50ish/rotor from RockAuto, Amazon, etc.

-Brent

I got a set of Brembo rotors for my BMW 525i for about $50 each. The Brembos replaced warped ATE rotors. I reused my Raybestos Ceramic pads. No problems all is good. The Raybestos pads have about 70,000 miles and seem to have a lot of life left. I understand that Akabhono pads are some of the best. At this point I plan to use them with new Brembo rotors next change.

Last edited:
Rotors are rotors. I've run cheap ones on all my cars for a long time.

Improper bed-in procedure is what causes shaking. It's not really warping, it's just uneven deposits of pad material.

Thanks for all of the replies. I've heard of the Brembo rotors before. I will look on Amazon to see what I can purchase. Rotors from AZ or AAP are expensive for my car. $100 for Beck/Arnley. Improper bed-in procedure? What exactly is this because I know that I've never done a procedure with new rotors and pads?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Basically what you are doing is mating the disc to the pad. You want the two surfaces to meet well so the braking performance is consistent.

I always do this when replacing brake parts and I have never had a problem.

And honestly, $100 for rotors is not unusual given that the Q45 was a low-production vehicle. My Audi's rotors are even more than that. It does make me miss my old Integra -- rotors were $40 a PAIR.

Last edited:
I've got a 2002 Z-28 Camaro, a model with a well documented problem of warped front rotors. Mine started warping at less than 10k miles with ordinary street usage (if Las Vegas summers can be called "ordinary"). I left them on for too long, making the car almost dangerous to brake from any real speed. I finally replaced them with cryo-treated Brembos, and haven't had a problem since.
I went with AZ ceramic pads, since they have a lifetime warranty, but that might have been a mistake. I've since had problems with this brand of pad wearing rapidly on other vehicles I own. If I were to do it over again, I'd use Hawk pads.

Here are the procedures in my Camaro shop manual for bedding in the brake pads (they call it "burnishing pads and rotors").

1. Accelerate the vehicle to 30 mph.
Important: Use care to avoid overheating the brakes while performing this step.
2. Using moderate to firm pressure, apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not allow the brakes to lock.
3. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until approximately 20 stops have been completed. Allow sufficient cooling periods between stops in order to properly burnish the brake pads and rotors.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Rotors are rotors. I've run cheap ones on all my cars for a long time.

Improper bed-in procedure is what causes shaking. It's not really warping, it's just uneven deposits of pad material.

I beg to differ with you, but "brake shake' is caused by disc thickness variation. It will begin with an out of true rotor caused by improper lug nut torque,overheated brakes, or cheap rotors.

Oh wow, I didn't know anything about that bed-in procedure at all. I will price the Brembo rotors now. I presently have AAP ceramic pads on now but when I change out the rotors, I will change the pads too.

Top of the line Raybestos and Napa rotors are great. They are just kind of pricey.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I've got a 2002 Z-28 Camaro, a model with a well documented problem of warped front rotors. Mine started warping at less than 10k miles with ordinary street usage (if Las Vegas summers can be called "ordinary"). I left them on for too long, making the car almost dangerous to brake from any real speed. I finally replaced them with cryo-treated Brembos, and haven't had a problem since.
I went with AZ ceramic pads, since they have a lifetime warranty, but that might have been a mistake. I've since had problems with this brand of pad wearing rapidly on other vehicles I own. If I were to do it over again, I'd use Hawk pads.

As far as I know, the Brembo blanks (NO; slotting/drilling/grooves) are gone forever for our rides (unless you have a source I don't know about?!?!).

I got the Brembo blanks from rotorsonline, but I see their web site isn't functional any more. I had to wait a long time, as Brembo was moving their production from Canada to Mexico (this was a few years ago).
I see the blanks are still available from autopartswarehouse dot com for $45. Looking on the site, I see Brembo has started manufacturing in China. I'd check very carefully so you don't accidently buy Chineese junk with that name on it.

So am I hearing that its basically a [censored] shoot on picking rotors then? If that is the case, then I won't want to spend top dollars for cheap china made products.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
So am I hearing that its basically a [censored] shoot on picking rotors then? If that is the case, then I won't want to spend top dollars for cheap china made products.

That's basically my conclusion as well, there is no guarantee anymore.
I started looking around for brake discs for my Mazda 3, I will need them soon, and in Canada the best price I could find for a brand name disc (Napa discs btw.) was $60 each, dealer wants $90 each for OEM ones
crazy2.gif
. I talked to my friend at work and he recommended me a small place that can get parts for much cheaper. He bought brake discs from them and had no problems, so I called them and they have front discs for my car for guess what... $30 FOR BOTH. I figured that at this price difference I have nothing to lose so I will buy them.

Rotors are a dice throw nowadays.
Cheap ones can be better than more expensive ones.
In the land of China, many are produced!

Brakes bed in for street use no matter what you do. They are best with a proper bed in technique, but this mainly only speeds things up. This is way different from racing/track break in procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back