Brake Lube for Sliding Pins and Caliper

Have used sliglyde in caliper sliding pins and anti-seize on pads outer and bracket area.

Is it the right way or I need something better or preferred? Thanks.

Sil-Glyde seems to be fine on slide pins but in my (limited) experience, you need to clean it off and re-apply at least every 2 years, maybe more often depending on your circumstances. I've had it get extremely tacky on the back of pads, where a pad was literally glued in place. The slide pins weren't near as bad but they were sticky. I quit using it after I saw that 2-3 times.

I definitely wouldn't use it on the brackets where the pad ears sit.

Sil-Glyde seems to be fine on slide pins but in my (limited) experience, you need to clean it off and re-apply at least every 2 years, maybe more often depending on your circumstances. I've had it get extremely tacky on the back of pads, where a pad was literally glued in place. The slide pins weren't near as bad but they were sticky. I quit using it after I saw that 2-3 times.

That is really good to know and is there any grease or lube that does not require an application every 2 years?

I've had good luck with Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme - it's orange in color. It has not reacted with the rubber in the pins and is holding up OK on the slides on Subarus I maintain. I had the same experience with Sil-Glyde as Hall, it needed frequent cleanup and re-application.
That said - Permatex makes a bunch of similar sounding products, you need all those words in the name, I've not had great luck with their other brake lubes.

I’ve started using the ACDelco brake lube. So far I’ve been really happy with how it’s working.
IMG_2451.jpeg

I was told never use anti seize so I don’t. I bought some Permatex and I also have a tube of ATE designed for the pins etc….

I had Permatex brake grease dry out on me.

I have used Wurth Silicone compound for like 15 years now and it never went sticky or dried out on me. However I’m running low and Wurth products are not readily accessible in US

I got this silicone paste at the recommendation of Trav. I trust his judgement, plus it looks very similar to the Wurth paste so I expect it to work just as well.
And at less than $20 for an 8oz container, it’s not a bad deal as well.

Last edited:
I just use the Mission. I use it on slider pins, plug wires, electrical connectors, and recently put some on a door check. And even noisy serpentine belts (debated topic here, YMMV)

Some people enjoy lots of specialty chemicals. I'm just a simpleton and prefer to consolidate when practical

I just use the Mission. I use it on slider pins, plug wires, electrical connectors, and recently put some on a door check. And even noisy serpentine belts (debated topic here, YMMV)

Some people enjoy lots of specialty chemicals. I'm just a simpleton and prefer to consolidate when practical
That’s what I wanted to get but Mission is not available.

100% true in my application. Used sil-glyde after meticulously cleaned old grease out of the caliper bore, boot, and slide pin and after 3+ years, the pin was frozen inside. After 2 hours of soaking, heating, and rattling the destroyed pin was finally extracted and it was the solid pin and not the rubber booted one! All thickened and dried up. So agreed if you can perform regular service intervals to see the condition of the slide pins otherwise maybe you’ll be unlucky like me. Trying out Toyota OE rubber grease p/n 08887-01206 as a replacement to see how this behaves now. Last advice is try not to clean pins with abrasives like sandpaper or wire wheel if possible. Once the plating is compromised, the exposed base metal will orange peel and pit overtime regardless of grease.

Back