Brake Calipers?

DR1

My truck is a 2008 with almost 147K miles on it. I purchased the truck used about 3yrs ago. Do you think it would be wise to replace all 4 brake calipers when I get a brake job done?

Not if you don't need it. The rebuilders blast them and they rust faster, and there are probably other shortcuts they take.

So do I need to ignore what is says online about changing the calipers every 75K -100k miles or 10 yrs?

Maybe if the pads aren't wearing evenly due to the calipers. You could always buy a rebuild kit and DIY on a budget.

If you have uneven wear it's due to the slider pins not working properly. These should always be cleaned and re-lubed when doing a brake job.

Calipers aren't normally wear items like the pads and rotors, so you don't need to replace them unless you suspect caliper failure such as a seized piston or slide pins.

If the parking brake runs off the rear pads/calipers, you might consider replacing the rear calipers, especially if you don't use the parking brake. Not using the parking brake can cause the rear calipers to seize with this type.

Last edited:
I think remans would be a step down—but if you were buying OEM or better, then fine. IMO if the calipers are seeing pad slaps often, it might be fine, but I have seen calipers fail right after a pad slap, after the pistons have been out for years then suddenly pushed back, sometimes they fail. I think…

If you are doing the work, I would wait until they fail, then determine if good or reman is acceptable. My 11 is with original calipers after 235k and a single pad slap, my 99 was much older when it finally lost a caliper. When my truck lost a caliper I replaced just the one.

I think remans would be a step down—but if you were buying OEM or better, then fine.
I believe "Remans"are mostly OEM. When you buy a "Reman" your buying someone elses old caliper core with new rubber and possibly a new piston if the old one doesn't meet spec.

I believe "Remans"are mostly OEM.
I believe so too. I really doubt any company is out there reverse-engineering, casting and machining all of the different calipers out there that exist.

Can we just get one thread on the Titan?
'bout time to replace the starter, alternator, AC compressor, etc, etc for "maintenance" too.

Last edited:
Back