Boycotting Lowe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had REALLY POOR customer service 3X in the major appliance section. It woulda been pretty easy for the manager to make me happy - instead he argued with me on the phone and claimed that he had talked to me in person. (nope....) Yes, I hope they rot.

Sears is in trouble as well. It's a relic, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go the way of Montgomery Wards. When I (rarely) go to the mall, I usually park near Sears because that's the emptiest part of the parking lot.

I've had about enough with Home Depot, 10 minute walk just to get to the other side of the store and lackluster employees that don't seem to know where to find anything.

Do most of my hardware shopping at Ace these days. Locally owned and friendly knowledgeable employees. They also carry about 90 percent of what the box stores do with a floor space 1/10 the size.

And yes, US made stuff gets harder and harder to find every passing year. Picked up some Carhartt bibs last week, still made in the US but no longer Union Made like the old stuff was. A lot of their stuff is Hecho en Mexico these days.

Was looking at boots the other day as well, I would venture to guess that more of the Red Wing boots are imported than made in the US these days. They still make some of the boots here, but it's become almost a secondary niche product. Considering that nothing is made here anymore, I imagine the demand for work boots just isn't what it used to be. No need for steel toes when you work at McDonald's or in an office cube.

I've actually never been in a Lowe's store before. Guess I'm not missing out on much. I'm like AcuraTech above and hit up Ace, Martin Hardware, and Hanks Hardware around here. All smaller places with great employees. I'd rather pay a little more for great customer service.

I also want to pick up a pair of US made Red Wing boots, but they cost a pretty penny. There's a small work boot store close to my house where they actually fit you. They offer in house boot repair and all sorts of leather stuff. It's getting rare to find little ma and pop shops like these.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Go to a real lumber yard, they'll stock plenty of american made products for pros.

Catering to pros is the problem with the "real" lumber yards that I go to. They see an amateur like myself come in and I get the "you're not in the trade so you get treated like [censored]" attitude.

I work for Lowe's in southwest Ga. It is sad to hear how badly stores are run in other parts of the country. Our store is very busy and hopefully will remain so. The downward spiral things have taken in the past few years has affected a lot of big corporations and Lowe's is certainly not immune.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

So back to HD I go... Boycotting Lowe's for carrying ever-fewer us products. They will also be hearing from me...

I don't understand the intent of your actions. If you are boycotting businesses for changing their inventory to Chinese products, why did you go back to Home Depot?

Home Depot has some fine lifetime shovels....made in China. They chose that over Jackson Brand shovels made in the U.S..

How do you not boycott nearly EVERY store?

It just seems like you have a double set of standards. O.k. to shop at Home Depot that is full of Chinese stuff, but not Lowes.
21.gif

What's the difference?

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Go to a real lumber yard, they'll stock plenty of american made products for pros.

Catering to pros is the problem with the "real" lumber yards that I go to. They see an amateur like myself come in and I get the "you're not in the trade so you get treated like [censored]" attitude.

I'll agree with you but you'll find good hammers and other tools there.

side note: most framers won't swing a steel or fiberglass handled hammer, they transmit more vibration which causes joint issues. It's a non-issue for us DIY'ers.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

So back to HD I go... Boycotting Lowe's for carrying ever-fewer us products. They will also be hearing from me...

I don't understand the intent of your actions. If you are boycotting businesses for changing their inventory to Chinese products, why did you go back to Home Depot?

Home Depot has some fine lifetime shovels....made in China. They chose that over Jackson Brand shovels made in the U.S..

How do you not boycott nearly EVERY store?

It just seems like you have a double set of standards. O.k. to shop at Home Depot that is full of Chinese stuff, but not Lowes.
21.gif

What's the difference?

Ive found that HD carries more US made stuff than Lowe's. You are right, everyplace carries lots of Chinese garbage, and boycotting EVERY store would be the ultimate approach.

But I can do my best to buy US stuff, and go where I at least have the "best" chance to find it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do those Estwings ever wear out? The whole hammer is one solid piece of steel. I don't see how it could ever wear out.

I don't think they do. My step father has been a carpenter his whole adult life and still has estwings from back in the day. The grips are worn out, but the rest of the hammer is solid. I think he made the switch over to the stanley anti-vibe now.

Originally Posted By: vaboom123
I also want to pick up a pair of US made Red Wing boots, but they cost a pretty penny.

Worth every penny.

I tired some Dr. Martens this time and was let down. They last about 5-6 months and the sole of the boot cracked in half. I've had good luck with the Timberland boots too. I just really want to try out a nice pair of redwings. I'm not my feet 12-14 hrs. a day and have no problem dishing out the cash for comfort.

Many years ago Ecco was one the best for your application. Now just another brand. Google for Orthopedic Shoe Brands..
When i worked for HP, the Co would give us full coverage vouchers for Red Wings. Very comfortable. ESD soles would not last more than a year, but the comfort level very high.

I tired some Dr. Martens this time and was let down. They last about 5-6 months and the sole of the boot cracked in half. I've had good luck with the Timberland boots too. I just really want to try out a nice pair of redwings. I'm not my feet 12-14 hrs. a day and have no problem dishing out the cash for comfort.

You'll never wear Red Wings soles out; not unless you walk around the world about 5 times.
grin2.gif

Do those Estwings ever wear out? The whole hammer is one solid piece of steel. I don't see how it could ever wear out.

They do wear out, you can wear the milled face smooth.

They do wear out, you can wear the milled face smooth.

Estwing is not the choice of professionals. Any carpenter who swings his hammer knows that tge vibrations sent into your joints from the steel shank will eventually cause problems. I have been swinging a wood handled 32 ounce Vaughn for 20 years. No elbow or wrist issues. Other guys I know who swung metal have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel. Wood. Forever

I tired some Dr. Martens this time and
was let down. They last about 5-6 months and the sole of the boot cracked in half. I've had good luck with the Timberland boots too. I just really want to try out a nice pair of redwings. I'm not my feet 12-14 hrs. a day and have no problem dishing out the cash for comfort.

I have 2 pair of red wing work boots and 2 pair or riding boots. By far tge best boot I have ever worn. I don't care what they cost. My feet tell me daily they are worth every penny.
Gotta watch now though because some models are made in china and are visibly less quality. Instead of triple stitched they are only double stitched,not completely waterproof. My feel have been in 7" inch puddles and mud and my socks come out of the boots clean. That says slot about how well they are built.

You'll never wear Red Wings soles out; not unless you walk around the world about 5 times.
grin2.gif

Red Wing soles will go eventually. In my line of work the toes are trashed well before the soles ever go though.

I've been wearing a pair of Redback boots (outside of work) for about 2 years now as casual footwear, and I'm impressed. These things have logged some miles and the soles are barely worn. Leather is holding up great and they were comfortable from day one. Tough boots. Feels almost like wearing slippers though. 100% Australian made and reasonably priced (about US $130).

Anyone looking for new boots check out the Redbacks. I still do Red Wings for work, but I've been tempted to switch.

Thanks for all the info on boots guys. I also wear out the toes on my boots fast (diesel tech) in my field. My co-worker purchased some toe saver goop that seems to work really well. I also wear out the outside edge of the heel on my boots. I must walk goofy or something haha. Being water proof is also a huge plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back