Bought the Pennzoil 5W-30 Ultra Euro for my Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first order of Pennzoil 5W-30 Ultra Euro full synthetic motor oil from Amazon. I used to buy the non Euro version of this motor oil from Wal Mart for the last two years (for my Civic and Cavalier), but they recently stopped carrying Ultra and I can not get the Pennzoil Ultra motor oil from anywhere else locally. I do have an Amazon Prime membership so that saved me on the shipping. Still was pricey...

Anyone compared the oil test results between regular Ultra and the Ultra Euro version?

The Euro version is a very different oil - high HT/HS, non-energy conserving obviously. I'm not sure it's the best oil for a Civic.

By the way, if you can't find any non-Euro PU 5w-30 locally, you can get it from the oil store for $42/case, which is probably still cheaper than what you paid for Euro 5w-30 on Amazon.

Ibrahim, I know it's a low-SAPS formula, but 3K miles??? I think you're not giving this oil enough credit.
smile.gif

IMO...without looking at the spec's....I would say, that it most likely, is a Low or Mid SAPS oil.....Pennzoil Ultra Europe oil.

Valvoline has a Mid SAPS oil on the market geared for Euro cars....most likely the same. The Valvoline starts with a low TBN but seems to hold the number for quite some time.......

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Thats an ACEA C3 oil, I am afraid, you will have to be cautious if you plan to extend your OCI's beyond 3K mile or stick to ethanol free gasoline!

I can not get ethanol free gasoline locally. Regular Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Ultra Euro are completely different formulations?

I have not put the Pennzoil Ultra Euro in my cars yet. I have been using the regular Pennzoil Ultra in my 1997 Honda Civic and 2003 Chevy Cavalier for two years.

I believe that bought the wrong oil for your application. You can run this oil for one interval. I would highly consider seeking out other alternatives afterward. This oil is not ideal for your cars.

Like Quattro said "The PU Euro 5w-30 formulation is not necessarily better or higher quality. It's just different.".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Ibrahim, I know it's a low-SAPS formula, but 3K miles??? I think you're not giving this oil enough credit.
smile.gif

haha... may be 4K miles!

Originally Posted By: Moab
Regular Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Ultra Euro are completely different formulations?

Yes, Ultra Euro 5W30 is a low SAPS oil (Ultra 5W40 is not), its TBN point is low to begin with (between 5-7), when used in gasoline engines TBN depletes at a faster rate, due to ethanol (!?).

Originally Posted By: Moab
I have not put the Pennzoil Ultra Euro in my cars yet. I have been using the regular Pennzoil Ultra in my 1997 Honda Civic and 2003 Chevy Cavalier for two years.

There is no harm in using this oil for one time. Regular PU is a fantastic product!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back