Bought some new wave coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was Super Tech,Wal-Marts brand.Wow,this new stuff is really slippery!It still looks the same old green color,but looks like its full of oil.
dunno.gif

That's interesting. The one thing that stood out with Texaco Dex-Cool I use in my bike is that it's NOT slippery at all compared to tradtional green Peak or Prestone.

Ok... basically if it smells like it's dirty or oily out of the bottle, then you got recycled glycol there most likely. I can't stress enough that recycled coolants are a pretty risky endeavour. The main problem being that their pH drops very quickly which can result in silicate fallout and lower RA. Just be careful.

Interesting. Mine didn't smell like this. Can they even sell recyled antifreeze as new? The Wal-mart stuff is sorced from Prestone.

Just got the word from a more sr. person than myself. He doesn't believe that the bottle has to be labelled as using recycled glycol.

However, take note that if you use PG in your coolant, then you will have virgin glycol. If you use EG, then there is the chance that it could have been made using recycled material.

I guess my best advice if you want to avoid the recycled stuff would be to buy reputable brands.

So is there an easy way to test for recylced glycol? I already converted one car over, and I have another gallon or two of the Supertech stuff, what should I do?

-T

BlueOvalFitter, was(were) the jug(s) sealed with a foil/plastic membrane? Something doesn't smell right, here - in more ways than one. When I changed out my Sonata's factory fill coolant with ST extended life concentrate and distilled water, it merely exhibited the customary "sweet" odor - a common characteristic of any ethylene glycol based antifreeze product. The only other thing I can think of to explain the possibility of contamination involves the bottling machinery. ST's antifreeze is almost assuredly sourced from Prestone (not exactly a newcomer to antifreeze technology, and certainly considered a reputable company). The back of the ST jugs does indicate that it's distributed by Alsip Packaging, Inc. I've posted previously that I believe Prestone ships the formulated antifreeze concentrate in bulk to Alsip Packaging who then bottles to individual gallon jugs, then cases and ships to WalMart's regional warehouses. I'm wondering if during a routine flushing and cleaning of the discharge machinery, either at Prestone's end or Alsip's, the holding tanks weren't completely emptied of the flush material. (If the stuff's shipped from Prestone by rail tankcar, who knows what was in the tankcar previously?...) If I'm anywhere close to correct, it's possible any residual "contaminant" is perfectly safe. Possible. On the other hand, if you're concerned at all about the long term effects on gaskets, o-rings, and waterpump seals, you may want to pre-emptively go through the flushing and refill again. Frankly, I couldn't blame you if you went with another brand antifreeze, but I don't believe either Prestone or ST per se are bad products. At worst, I suspect some minimum wage flunkie was asleep at the wheel.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
BlueOvalFitter, was(were) the jug(s) sealed with a foil/plastic membrane?

Yes,with a foil seal.Maybe I over reacted about this new coolant.The only thing it has in commo n with the old stuff is color.It is definately more slippery then the old stuff.I dunno........
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back