Bought my youngest daughter a car

Looks pretty clean down the oil fill hole, Thought about having GM cover the Valve Cover If/When the PCV fails as it's covered 'til 120,000 miles.......Though failures rarely happen at convenient times.

Looks pretty clean down the oil fill hole, Thought about having GM cover the Valve Cover If/When the PCV fails as it's covered 'til 120,000 miles.......Though failures rarely happen at convenient times.
They usually just cause a lean code and still drive well. Check that coil though, they usually dont give much warning, and just go dead on a cyl.

Hey, those fuses look very similar to what’s used in car audio for amp arrays if in-line fuses aren’t cutting the mustard.

Also, nice score as well.

Are you saying what I did was unethical.....I don't think the seller cared & just wanted the car gone, But I wasn't about to rub his nose in the fact it was a simple repair.

If you made the seller aware of how simple the repair was, and they sold it with that knowledge, then no.

Hey, those fuses look very similar to what’s used in car audio for amp arrays if in-line fuses aren’t cutting the mustard.

Also, nice score as well.

They either shorted the main cable or hooked the battery up backwards, Unfortunately those fuses are not replaceable separately......Though I probably could cut the core of the old fuse out & replace in with a bolt-on replacement fuse.

If you made the seller aware of how simple the repair was, and they sold it with that knowledge, then no.
Once the deal is done, as long as the seller agrees to the car being worked on then and there, it's done. You don't owe it to the seller to diagnose the car, and for all he knew something else might have been catastrophically wrong without being able to test drive it. If you offer something as is, that goes both ways.

Would it have been different if he had it towed first? Do you really want to explain swapping around fuses to someone who clearly wants to just unload the car?

I own a Auto Repair Garage & pride myself on being as ethical as possible, But I wasn't there in that capacity....Just a father trying to get the best car I could for my dollar.

As you may recall, I was also in the consumer car repair business. But ultimately walked away in disgust because I was often expected by my bosses to exaggerate the extent of a problem to naive customers. Or just let them go on assuming the worst, and roll with it...

The above quote doesn't make the situation sound any better to me.

If you honestly feel good about it, that's up to you.

I do recall that. Someone trusting me to work on a vehicle at a professional level & not rip them off is different than me giving someone their ASKING price for a used vehicle that's been sitting for 2 years.....That I can't test drive & could have turned out to be a real turd.

That was a risk on my part as I paid for the car BEFORE I repaired it enough to get it home & still needs a plethora of repairs before I would consider it roadworthy.

I do recall that. Someone trusting me to work on a vehicle at a professional level & not rip them off is different than me giving someone their ASKING price for a used vehicle that's been sitting for 2 years.....That I can't test drive & could have turned out to be a real turd.

That was a risk on my part as I paid for the car BEFORE I repaired it enough to get it home & still needs a plethora of repairs before I would consider it roadworthy.
I missed that detail in your first post. Please accept my apology for questioning your ethics.

I know a guy who has repaired and sold (flipped) a couple Pentastar powered vehicles when the valve train sounded like heck … done in an afternoon … (not even a mechanic - he’s a solid ME however) …
To me, you can educate yourself on common problems and decide how to move forward …
Some just don’t bother - or have the right circle of friends to help - and that’s an opportunity both ways …
We know one quite well and my wife & I have probably helped her too many times already …
Couple weeks ago - after another “bail out” … told my wife next time we give her the 7 year old Craftsman and $500 for that shiny zero turn she did not need nor could afford …
(only then I’d be expected to repair as needed) 😕

I'm afraid I don't share your lack of sympathy. It's a matter of questionable ethics.

As he mentioned earlier, he bought the car as is and managed it fix it easily. As the saying goes, he has a very particular set of skills. Skills he has acquired over a very long career. You don't expect people to give that away for free.

teach her how to repair, she will then be grateful for the horseless carriage.

As he mentioned earlier, he bought the car as is and managed it fix it easily. As the saying goes, he has a very particular set of skills. Skills he has acquired over a very long career. You don't expect people to give that away for free.

That was never in question.

But I missed a key detail, and apologized for the error. Thankfully, my apology was accepted.

Back