Bought my kid a 1994 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked it up tonight to replace her rotted Cherokee (
3.1L /auto 4 door sedan. It's in very good shape with 72,000 miles. It was my friends parent in-law's car. Newer brakes, good tires, new exhaust, good struts / CV boots, new battery, etc. All for $800.00 cash!!! The only issue is one door hinge on the pass side. Piece of cake to fix with a bit of zapping and a new pin kit.

Probably going to try some Defy or 2005 circa Maxlife with a Purolator filter.

It's pouring out here, so I'll snap some pics this weekend.

Awesome. Funny how some on here a few months back were unable to find such cars...

A Ciera is really old school. None of that OBD II cat efficiency non sense. For a platform that basically dates back to '82 and one of the early FWD design I think it was pretty good. Actually I think it was a great car for its time period. $800 bucks and low miles sounds like a good deal.

I think this has the L82? I don't think they are picky about oil, but I don't like extended drain intervals on them. What about the R12 A/C system
smile.gif
?

It was a killer deal and the timing was perfect. My friend posted on his FB and I just happened to be on. If I didn't jump on it then and there, it would have been gone in minutes.

I drove it home while my kid followed me in my wife's car. It rides awesome. Smooth and the 3.1 has plenty of go (but not too much go). I still hate that they killed off Olds.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think this has the L82? I don't think they are picky about oil, but I don't like extended drain intervals on them. What about the R12 A/C system
smile.gif
?

Yep, it's a L82. Nothing special, but simple which makes it perfect. I was planning on going with a 5K interval once I confirm that the innards looks at least decent. My friend said they stuck to 3K changes, so fingers crossed.

Haven't looked at the AC yet. I have the ability to convert or visit my friend who still has some R12. Probably the latter (so we can swing the beef inside). Initial inspection showed the condenser to be in good shape.

I agree, Olds and Pontiac always rode good and usually better than Chevy version. $800 around here usually won't get you a car even fit for a junkyard.

That would be really cool if the A/C still had an R12 charge. I bet that system uses about 2.25lbs of refrigerant and you didn't need a dumb scale when you know it holds 3x 12 oz cans. It'd be nice to be able to keep R12, but they seem to still work well when converted to R134a. But even it is getting pricey now lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What about the R12 A/C system
smile.gif
?

Haven't looked at the AC yet. I have the ability to convert or visit my friend who still has some R12. Probably the latter (so we can swing the beef inside). Initial inspection showed the condenser to be in good shape.

It probably has an R4 compressor. I wouldnt convert. R12 has really come down in price, and will keep the pressures in that old system low.

Prior to the Olds, I went and looked at a '93 Wrangler that a kid wanted $4K for. Hunk of doo dee. Rotted everything. I can expect to have to weld the rear shackles or front steering box mount in this neck of the woods. Those repairs are no big deal to me, but 4 smacks! I told the kid good luck.

My daughter wanted another Jeep, and being a Jeep guy I feel the same, but the honest truth is that they're not very economical to operate besides parts being somewhat cheap. My '12 F150 gets the same to better mileage towing our camper than a lifted Wrangler.

The Olds was a good choice. Comfortable, able to fit some friends in a seat (not "bench") and cheap/easy to maintain. I told her that if she wants to drive with the top off, she can borrow the Bronco.

I think it has the V5 compressor VDOT system, but the R4 compressor CCOT was used in other models around that time. V5 is a good compressor but sometimes can eventually leak around the midsection. I agree with keeping it R12 and mineral oil lubricant.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It probably has an R4 compressor. I wouldnt convert. R12 has really come down in price, and will keep the pressures in that old system low.

That's what I was thinking as well. The defrost seemed to work pretty well during the rainy ride home. The system integrity may still be OK.

They are reliable and pretty easy to work on. My 93 is a drive to work car with the 3.3 it moves along well. I had an 86 ciera s 2 door with the 2.8 mfpi. I don't know if the gearing was different or its my memory, but the 2.8 i had was really fast, faster than the 3.3 i have now. It might have been the shorter 60 width tires i had on it, but it had more upper rpm power.

Last edited:
In MA, an OBD1 car is exempt from emissions testing. My BIL, bought an Olds of this vintage for short money and used it as his work car, getting paid mileage. For many years. ***** paint, but a decently maintained ride. There is prolly a web site for this jewel. Good luck with the Ciera.

Thanks guys!

Marshfield? Hope you made out OK in the last storm. It looked pretty bad on the news. We live out in the tornado area.

I think you're right. I was thinking '95 for some reason, but I was also thinking about OBD 1.5 and II, Dexcool and intake gaskets at the time
blush.gif
. So much for the R12.

smooth ride---- and yea they do pretty good on gas compared to a 4x4. we had one in the family and it lasted forever, was very reliable, and was great to drive around in. 2 small sofas on wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back