Bought my first Tractor

I've been shopping for a Tractor for around a year and finally got lucky yesterday. 2015 L4701 with 125hrs, Grapple, Bucket, Brush hog and tiller. I'd been looking at new L2501's, but was concerned about lift capacity with the grapple, and the Kioti CK2610 but didn't love my local dealer. This popped up a couple hrs away on FB marketplace and I sent the guy a deposit immediatly. Decent tractors sell instantly around here. I ended up with a lot more tractor than I ever though I'd have, but I don't ever hear anyone complaining about having 'to much' tractor...

I don't believe it ever had its 50hr service. Which I believe involves changing 2 hydraulic filters and the engine oil/filter, so that will be my first project. Looks like I can get OEM, Baldwin or Wix filters.

Attachments

• Tractor 1.jpg
    Tractor 1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Tractor 2.jpg
    Tractor 2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 186
Nice tractor , maintenance is the key to long tractor life. A little bigger tractor is always better that a little too small tractor.

Oil filter should be HH164-32430...

Wix 51515 is a little longer, same base and bypass...

Two quart version is Wix 51773...

I can say from personal experience that the 4701 will do a lot more than you think it will and put up with much more abuse than is necessary. We have friends whose 4701 has been through hell. For example they have:
  • Rolled the tractor down a hill sideways with the bush hog engaged and ROPS folded down. They still leave the ROPS down.
  • Ran it with the engine temp pegged while bush hogging for months. ("It just feels like it loses power after bush hogging for a while")
  • Once it boiled the coolant out, they never replaced it and ran it a gallon low (It doesn't take much more than that!)
  • Adjusted the slip clutch on the bush hog to as tight as possible so they can "mulch" old fence posts and stumps
  • Regularly shear PTO shafts (...wonder why?)
  • What's a fuel filter?

I found I could get the Kubota oil filters for the 2501 from the dealer for the same price or less than the Wix equivalent at a local auto parts store. The research I did at the time implied the Kubota filter was the better constructed one. This is counter intuitive, as the dealer is normally not the go to place for filters.
Super UDT2 only for trans/hydraulic fluid, and I ended up selecting Peak Final Charge for coolant after some research. The dealer didn't even carry factory coolant. Said it wasn't appropriate.

I can say from personal experience that the 4701 will do a lot more than you think it will and put up with much more abuse than is necessary. We have friends whose 4701 has been through hell. For example they have:
  • Rolled the tractor down a hill sideways with the bush hog engaged and ROPS folded down. They still leave the ROPS down.
  • Ran it with the engine temp pegged while bush hogging for months. ("It just feels like it loses power after bush hogging for a while")
  • Once it boiled the coolant out, they never replaced it and ran it a gallon low (It doesn't take much more than that!)
  • Adjusted the slip clutch on the bush hog to as tight as possible so they can "mulch" old fence posts and stumps
  • Regularly shear PTO shafts (...wonder why?)
  • What's a fuel filter?
So basically you're saying they're farmers?

I found I could get the Kubota oil filters for the 2501 from the dealer for the same price or less than the Wix equivalent at a local auto parts store. The research I did at the time implied the Kubota filter was the better constructed one. This is counter intuitive, as the dealer is normally not the go to place for filters.
Super UDT2 only for trans/hydraulic fluid, and I ended up selecting Peak Final Charge for coolant after some research. The dealer didn't even carry factory coolant. Said it wasn't appropriate.

I'd read that there isn't any alternative for the Super UDT2. The way I've read the owners manual it looks like you only change it every 400hrs (holds 11 gallons..), but are supposed to spin on a new filter after the first 50. I assume because that filter would have caught any break in metal. I'll have to go pick up a gallon or so to cover what I loose changing filters. I'll check out there filters as well. I think the one filter for the hydrostat is something like $70. We'll see. I've got some Delvac 15w-40 on hand and I don't see any reason that wouldn't be fine for the engine. I don't know how often coolant is supposed to be changed. Machine has super low hours, but is 5-6yrs old.

hope the trailer brakes work well, that is a big tractor
Brakes worked great its a really nice trailer. We ran over the CAT scales on the way home out of curiosity and my GCVW was 15,250.. Very much at the edge of what my truck is capable of. I don't intend to ever move the thing again unless its going to the dealer for work or something. I will say I added some air bags to the rear a while back and they help a lot and the truck seemed to handle it all with ease. Would be better if I didn't have to have that heavy grapple all the way on the tounge to make it fit with the bush hog on the back.

I'd read that there isn't any alternative for the Super UDT2. The way I've read the owners manual it looks like you only change it every 400hrs (holds 11 gallons..), but are supposed to spin on a new filter after the first 50. I assume because that filter would have caught any break in metal. I'll have to go pick up a gallon or so to cover what I loose changing filters. I'll check out there filters as well. I think the one filter for the hydrostat is something like $70. We'll see. I've got some Delvac 15w-40 on hand and I don't see any reason that wouldn't be fine for the engine. I don't know how often coolant is supposed to be changed. Machine has super low hours, but is 5-6yrs old.
I would look at the trans oil and think about changing it.

Back