Bought an optical audio cable, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke down and bought one. Now what? Is this thing supposed to make things sound better? The 5.0 surround sound seems fine to me, will this optical auido make $15 worth of difference? Or should I just take the unopened package back for a refund?

Couldnt say, but Id venture to guess that it depends on the weakest point of your system. If you have an el cheapo wal-mart component (or wire itself), it may degrade the quality of everything to the point where what exactly is used makes little difference.

Perhaps you should have asked before buying... at this point, if its only $15 and a half-decent cable, its likely more worth it to just keep it and install it... Even if its not a special trip, if optical is the wave of the future, youll likely want it when you upgrade this or that in the future.

JMH

The optical cable is to transmit digital data from one component to another, I assume. I remember, about 10 years ago when I was into higher end audio, to get data from a CD player to a DAT deck in digital form, you had a choice of an optical cable or a coaxial cable. I doubt it made any real difference, but most "audiophile" people thought that an optical cable was better because it had more bandwidth capability. However, the amount of data transmitted was very low compared to the capability of either kind of cable.

These audiophiles engaged in self delusion. As a result, they often purchased a lot of overpriced cables and other devices that did absolutely nothing.

My favorite audiophile folly was $400 replacement power cords made of "oxygen free" copper and certified to be "hospital grade". Of course, the fact that this fancy six foot power cord plugged into dozens of feet of house wiring that was often crap was overlooked in the hype. Also, audio components operate internally on DC power converted from AC by the power supply, and any minor AC noise or fluctuations should be filtered out by the power supply.

ToyotaNSaturn

It depends on the quality of your components. I would guess that any mid to low level recievers and drivers would not benefit. I have a Yamaha (High End) Amp w/ B&W Drivers and I can tell a slight difference but barely detectable. But I don't mind paying a little bit more to know I have the best, but thats just me. One thing I like is you are trading 2 jacks for 1. It cleans up the spaghetti.

The components in the middle are a DirecTV/Tivo all-in-one box and a Sony low to mid-level receiver, about 4 years old, with some big Cerwin Vega "real" speakers. A sub would help, but the CV's shake the house enough.
smile.gif

You're right, it's probably not enough of a high-end system to hear any difference. Luckily it's only $15 and I doubt it's "oxygen free".
wink.gif

This technology works very well at transmitting a clean signal, especially over long distances. Both fiber optic and coaxial digital technologies work very well for 5.1, one doesn't "sound" better than the other. Over very long distances, fiber optics cables experience less signal loss/distortion, but this advantage is rarely realized in a home theater setup.

Even so I prefer coaxial digital because the cable is more durable over time and I don't have to worry about damaging the cable or dust on the lenses. However, a quality digital coaxial will cost more than $15. $100 fiber optic cables use the exact same technology as the cheap $15 cable. What you are paying for with the premium cables is thicker/better shielding properties. In a simple setup, the $15 fiber optic cable might sound better
wink.gif

[ January 08, 2006, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Razl ]

Cables are a slippery slope in audio, where there is a lot of heated discussion between the 'objectivists' and 'subjectivists', and where some of 'science' and 'objective tests' being offered as 'proof', aren't :^) I recall a 'Stereo Review' article from a number of years ago which aimed to poke more fun at the high end crowd, but with careful reading even they acknowledged that one of their high end listeners could reliably detect differences among cables. That being said $15 is nothing for a cable, as some systems that I've listened to had about $5k in just speaker cables.

From what I've seen cables won't matter in 99.9% of audio systems, as 'accuracy' is typically limited by the weakest link and it's rarely cables. Most pop music is a collection of synthesied tracks laid down at different times, the more successful the artist the more stdio enhancing junk that they feel compelled to use, so it doesn't matter how 'accurate' your system is as long as you like how it sounds. In my experience most people don't like an 'accurate' system anyway, as they always use the system for just background music. Surround is fun for movie effects, and Gump says, that's all that I have to say about that.

I'm very serious with cables, and although my system is only mid-end (onkyo mini component approaching high-end sound for its price), I've upgraded interconnects to Montser and Acoustic Research cables, and made a BIG difference in sound compared to the "throw-in" cheap platic RCA cables that were in the box. I still have to upgrade the speaker cables and connectors, though (although a "mini" system, the receiver and speakers have heavy-duty screw/banana type connectors, accepting heavy gauge speaker wire, but I still use the 18-gauge wire that came with it
frown.gif
).

If you have good components, especially nearing high-end or even mid-end parts, do not skimp on cables.

"If you have good components, especially nearing high-end or even mid-end parts, do not skimp on cables."

I don't, but I look at the system. When friends were putting serious money into cables I asked them to then open the lids on their components, to see what portion of the system the cables were a part of. In some cases you'd see PC board - 5 cent a foot hookup wire - connector - $200 cable - connector - 10 cent a foot hookup wire - PC board. I just used good quality microphone cable hard wired from PC board to PC board, but that's really extreme :^)

With the reciever based system I made my own from microphone cable, which was some some twisted shielded conducter, which is also extreme for most.

K1xv - audiophiles are nuts, im so glad im not one... obsessive compulsive to the nth degree. A guitar player by the name of Eric Johnson (austin, tx) claimed once in guitar player magazine that he could tell the tonal difference from his electronics by using different batteries....he said duracell made for a better tone than energizer or some junk.

now that guitar player is truly nuts, perhaps.
but noone can tell me that a system comprising of Best-Buy level Sony components and a system comrpising of Parasound components (not THAT high-end, but close) sound the same.

I even notice the difference btw. Sony and Onkyo systems of similar price.

I saw Eric Johnson in concert years ago, he opened for Rush. That's quite amazing to tell the difference between they types of batteries used. But I don't doubt him. My drums sound different depending upon the type of sticks I use, even if they seem similar.

Maybe Eric would think WE'RE nuts for noticing how an engine "feels" when comparing a thin vs. thick oil.
wink.gif

The one thing that this does do well is eliminate 60Hz hum due to different ground levels between components.

If you do not have that problem then it is just another way to hook things up.

I'd take it back and use an RCA cable, if both your DVD player and receiver allow it. Cheaper and more durable. The whole high-end RCA/audio cable thing is hilarious to me. For analog signals, at least the "audiophiles" can say that their expensive cables give better sound. They do, it's just that noone would notice it and the acoustics of the room have about a billion times more effect on the sound than whether you buy $10 shielded RCA's or $1000 RCA's. How many people have their systems in an anechoic chamber?

For digital signals though, it's a 1 or a 0. You could connect a coat hanger from the CD player to the receiver and have perfect digital transfer (internet signals travel across phone lines!). I use a fiber optic cable on one of my receivers, but only because I got it fairly early in the 5.1 days and that's all it has for digital transfer. I use an RCA on my other system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back