Bought an old Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt finally found the Beetle she wanted. She already has a 2004 & 2013 TDI Beetles and had to complete the circle. It's a 1970 with a single port 1600. Floor pans have been replaced and it runs great. Still has some work to do fixing up but not bad at all. Planning to run Rotella 15w40 in it. What else should be added to the list? Thanks

knfki.jpg

2u3zbs3.jpg

33l2tl5.jpg

Check your valve clearances. Valve clearance on VW air cooled engines (especially the #3 cylinder) is very critical to prevent burnt valves. Check the tin on the engine to make sure it is all there and that there are no mud dauber nests or the like around the engine.

Nice! Does it have a fuel gauge? My grandfather bought one in '51, and it didn't have a gauge, just a reserve lever.

The very best technology of 1930!

I just cannot understand the appeal of those slow, ugly, ill handling, poor-braking, unheated death traps.

That paint makes it pop.

Reminds me of the VW in "Follow that Bird", a sesame street movie. One of my then-16 month old's first words was "Volkswagen" and I wondered what he was talking about. But at a gas station was an old beetle. Cool!

i126791.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I just cannot understand the appeal of those slow, ugly, ill handling, poor-braking, unheated death traps.

They aren't ugly, a stock 1600 will do the speed limit just as well as a 2014 Vette, a '70 will be IRS so it will actually handle pretty well, and they have quite good heat if you maintain the stock thermostat and flaps.

OP, get a spin-on oil filter ASAP. Please don't run straight 30 or 20-50. A 10-30 or 5-40 HDEO is all you need. I like Rotella T6 or Mag1 5w40 Fleet.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

They aren't ugly, a stock 1600 will do the speed limit just as well as a 2014 Vette, a '70 will be IRS so it will actually handle pretty well, and they have quite good heat if you maintain the stock thermostat and flaps.

OP, get a spin-on oil filter ASAP. Please don't run straight 30 or 20-50. A 10-30 or 5-40 HDEO is all you need. I like Rotella T6 or Mag1 5w40 Fleet.

Quite refreshing to actually see some good advice concerning these vehicles.

Ummm, isn't this a Q-link commuter?
2008_QLINK_Commuter_250.jpg

I thought you would understand the appeal of those slow, ugly, ill handling, poor-braking, unheated death traps.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Ummm, isn't this a Q-link commuter?
2008_QLINK_Commuter_250.jpg

I thought you would understand the appeal of those slow, ugly, ill handling, poor-braking, unheated death traps.
wink.gif

Brakes are fine, it handles pretty well, it gets 70MPG. (That's not a typo.)

It will be replaced by a Suzuki AN400 this spring.

And, of course, even the Q-Link (clone of a late-80's Honda) is vastly more advanced than a VW: it has a water-cooled OHC engine, automatic choke, and even front disc brakes!

Nice! My wife would love to find a Karmann Ghia one day. Enjoy your vintage ride; you should have heard the hand-wringing bedwetters whimper when I mentioned that my 16 year-old son's first car would be a 1975 2002...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back