Bought an OEM remote start kit. Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an OEM remote start kit for the Fusion yesterday 100 Series remote start
It hasn't yet arrived, so I may be getting ahead of myself by asking some of these questions. But looking through a 'how-to' thread on the Fusion forums, there is something called 'Securilock' that this Fusion has (I have no idea what it is). The remote start kit comes with a metal transistor ring that gets glued onto what looks like the outside ring of the ignition switch. Does that sound odd, or has anyone dealt with this? The rest of the wiring seems pretty straightforward. A couple of harness clips plug in at the column, and the other 7 wires needed are all called out and located pretty well on the diagram I looked at online. I went with OEM because I wanted something I knew would work well, and because the included FOBs are do darn small. I hate keychain clutter. Any tips in installing a system like this would be much appreciated.

Good luck, you went the right way going OEM. The aftermarket ones can be complicated to bypass starting protection.

Years ago, I gave up on installing an aftermarket one.

I kind of figured out what the transceiver ring is, and I believe it talks to the key once in the ignition. So that's good to know. The only thing I'm worried about is that the write up I looked at online was for a 2012 Fusion, ours is a 2011. Some of the wires tapped into were different colors that listed on the 2011 Fusion diagram. Do manufactures change little things like wire colors from year to year? The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to mount the hood safety switch. I know some of them look like plunger switches, but the install manual gives a poor indication of how to install this one for this kit.

I don't know about Ford of recent, but Ford of old was pretty famous for running changes throughout the model year.

What I have seen a lot of people do is buy the transponder key on ebay, get it cut (so it can be programmed) and then zip tie or mount it right next to the receiver ring so it, in effect, bypasses the PATS system.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I don't know about Ford of recent, but Ford of old was pretty famous for running changes throughout the model year.

What I have seen a lot of people do is buy the transponder key on ebay, get it cut (so it can be programmed) and then zip tie or mount it right next to the receiver ring so it, in effect, bypasses the PATS system.

I've seen people do that as well. I never liked that method considering there are a lot of systems out there that can be programmed to bypass PATS for remote start. (directed electronics sells a lot of them)

To the OP. If you tapping into power wires then I'd recommend a multimeter to verify wires. From what I've seen the OEM kits are much much more straightforward than all of the aftermarket ones. I used to be a MECP certified installer. I hated doing remote starts...good luck.

I installed an OEM remote starter on my Mazda 3 over eight years ago and have had no problems with it.
The ring you install around the ignition switch is the bypass for the ignition key. You will need to program the system, you will probably need two original keys to do so. It will send the RFID signal to the module during the remote start in absence of the key.

The full installation instructions should be included with the remote starter, follow that instead of internet threads, especially for splicing in wires. Triple check the wires before making a splice. Take your time, follow the instructions and you will have a perfectly working remote start system for years to come.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I installed an OEM remote starter on my Mazda 3 over eight years ago and have had no problems with it.
The ring you install around the ignition switch is the bypass for the ignition key. You will need to program the system, you will probably need two original keys to do so. It will send the RFID signal to the module during the remote start in absence of the key.

The full installation instructions should be included with the remote starter, follow that instead of internet threads, especially for splicing in wires. Triple check the wires before making a splice. Take your time, follow the instructions and you will have a perfectly working remote start system for years to come.

Thanks for the input. Another question... this system works on a number of years of Ford vehicles and different models. Directions come for each one then? I'd imagine that book being several hundred pages!

My remote starter was model specific. It had all the instructions including the removal of interior trim pieces.
If yours covers multiple Ford models, then I'm sure they have clear instructions on how to identify and test needed wires. You will most likely need a multimeter for that.

You may also turn to intenet forums on how to remove certain trim pieces and interior bits to avoid breaking them.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Good luck, you went the right way going OEM. The aftermarket ones can be complicated to bypass starting protection.

I totally disagree with the first sentence. I don't see the point of getting a remote start that has the same garbage range as my door unlock keyfob.

Originally Posted By: D189379

I totally disagree with the first sentence. I don't see the point of getting a remote start that has the same garbage range as my door unlock keyfob.

That's funny. Because it's true.

The Key fobs on my Cherokee work within 15 feet even with new battery.

The remote start system works at least 400 feet away.

Originally Posted By: D189379

Absolutely. Throw in the factor of cost, as well.
I'll speak to the Honda factory unit, because that is my most recent experience with a remote start.
A far inferior Honda unit was $900. installed. An Audiovox unit (that I have had no issues with on five different vehicles was < $300 installed.) Hardly a tough decision.

My mom had an aftermarket remote locking system installed in her 1999 CRV. The remote for that system was twice as heavily built as any OEM remote. It functioned perfectly every time, and getting someone to install it wasn't expensive.

She didn't get a remote engine starter, so I can't comment on what that would have been like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back