Bought a PC local. What is it really worth?

$800. $5-600 if it was a friend.

Used 10700k are going for $200 used up to $280ish new it looks like. A used 2080Ti on ebay looks like about $320 too. Did the 10 series get hit hard with Intel's Meltdown/Spectre patch? I don't remember if it was the 10 series or the 8 series performance that dropped a bit.

His PC will work fine. That's the list of a DIY computer. A comparable spec'd Dell XPS from the factory would be $1500 or higher.
10th gen was fine. 8th gen and below are the ones that lost quite a bit of performance in some applications.

Reactions: Pew
So I think everyone except tessaseveride and possibly Zee09 missed a key detail based on the numerous comments that only mentioned the PC itself. The lot purchase included a Samsung C49RG9 monitor in nearly perfect condition. No screen or cosmetic issues. I'll give you all 24 hours to adjust your appraisals if needed and increase the suspense haha.

So you didn't buy the the one you asked about here one year ago?

No, I did not. So glad my buddy dodged that bullet. He's in the process of building one...slowly. I ended up building a very ambitious rig and couldn't be happier. That was 'his' and this thread is about 'hers.'

So I think everyone except tessaseveride and possibly Zee09 missed a key detail based on the numerous comments that only mentioned the PC itself. The lot purchase included a Samsung C49RG9 monitor in nearly perfect condition. No screen or cosmetic issues. I'll give you all 24 hours to adjust your appraisals if needed and increase the suspense haha.
You’re correct I forgot about the monitor…. $2,000 I’d say is a fantastic deal.

$1,001... lol
$999.

I didn't realize it was that monitor. Realistically, I'd put it up for a list price of $1,200 and expect no less than $1,000. PC hardware value really tanks after a year because of new models.

Last edited:
Hey @OilMagnate
When this started I had a 5 foot afro and now I am completely bald... This thread has aged me significantly... Let's get on with it 😀
and Drew Cary went from this -
drew_c nobeard.jpg

to ...
this -

drew-c beard.jpg

I am SO sorry everyone. I've been completely swamped the last several days. Yeah, yeah, WHAT'S THE NUMBER?!?

$750

Seems like I fared quite well with the monitor factored in.

I figured it was a 50/50 chance you either got a very good deal or got ripped off.
Good to hear you didn't drive 150 miles to get ripped off. $750 is a very, very good price.

Thanks. In the tiny bit of time I've had, I've been trying to figure out how I want to utilize the parts. I desperately want to get rid of a newer Dell in my shop and replace it with something I build. It hasn't had anything go wrong at all, but I just don't trust Dell anymore due to an even higher end model already having countless problems after 1 year. I also am being asked to build a "hers" model to compliment "his." So after some debating I think I'm going to split the purchase build into two different builds and supplement a few parts. She likes the case, so I'm in the process of ordering a set of 'feet' and the dust shield. Thermaltake wanted $20 plus $15 shipping for a set of expansion slot covers, so I'll just get a set from Corsair for $4 when I order some other parts anyway. I've already ordered a full set of fans, plan to order a 420mm AIO, and either upgrade my 12700K to a 13700K and pass mine down or buy a second 12700K. I'm considering using the Z490/10700 in my shop, but then again I may just sell them and buy a 13100 for the performance boost (plus I already have an unopened fast gen4 SSD just collecting dust). Regardless, all of the fans except the Corsair fans will be sold. They just seem sub-par to me, plus I'm very much against proprietary parts (Thermaltake 5-pin).

I'll figure it out and report back, but I have a REALLY cool idea for a shop PC build. Regardless of hardware, it's going to look insanely good. I'll have to buy a few cosmetic things, but lets just say the folks around here will probably like it. It might take me the summer to complete, but it will be worth it.

Its a lot more powerful than what I paid 1300 USD for less than a year ago, at a local independet computer shop.
Assuming the HDs are SSDs, decent not cutting edge graphics card plus 64g GB RAM, plus decent processor, plus 2 TB (if SSD), p;lus all the hard core cooling.
New I'd pay 1900 all day long for this and be very happy.
Was just pricing computers literally today at the PX.
Much lesser machines were going for 1500 and more, that is w/o monitor, w/o upgraded cooling, with only 32Gb RAM, etc.

Used in verified good I'd easily 1400-1600.

No store bought gaming PCs with 64 GB of RAM under $1,900 (at PX) At my local best buy with 64 GB none are in stock at all.

I NEED a new gaming PC as I run Fallout 4 with 400 mods...

Its a lot more powerful than what I paid 1300 USD for less than a year ago, at a local independet computer shop.
Assuming the HDs are SSDs, decent not cutting edge graphics card plus 64g GB RAM, plus decent processor, plus 2 TB (if SSD), p;lus all the hard core cooling.
New I'd pay 1900 all day long for this and be very happy.
Was just pricing computers literally today at the PX.
Much lesser machines were going for 1500 and more, that is w/o monitor, w/o upgraded cooling, with only 32Gb RAM, etc.

Used in verified good I'd easily 1400-1600.

No store bought gaming PCs with 64 GB of RAM under $1,900 (at PX) At my local best buy with 64 GB none are in stock at all.

I NEED a new gaming PC as I run Fallout 4 with 400 mods...
Build, don't buy pre-built. You'll be so much happier. At the very least buy a PC from a PC store that actually built it with modular parts. No proprietary overpriced parts! That's the expensive lesson I learned the last 2 years that I'm still recovering from and doing damage control. I'm super biased because of the whole experience, but let's just say I'll never buy HP, Dell, or Lenovo ever again. Build or go home from now on.

Build, don't buy pre-built. You'll be so much happier.
Only if you're into doing things yourself IMO. Otherwise it may leave you frustrated and the final product may not be that great.
For example:
- Many motherboards have a pretty aggressive fan curve by default. That may cause your freshly built PC to be excessively loud, even with a premium cooler, leading to disappointment.
- AMD AM4 platform supports many generations of their CPUs, however they may not support the newer ones right out of the box, they may need a bios update. Not only that, many will need an older gen CPU for the bios to be updated, leaving the average DIYer in a petty frustrating spot. Intel doesn't have this problem.
- you need to be super careful with handling the CPU and the socket. Those pins are extremely fragile. It can be a costly mistake.
- On the other hand, inserting RAM or an NVME drive feels like you're going to break something. So it's common to see these components not properly seated by the novices.

If you're the DIY type and don't mind some troubleshooting or at least be prepared for it, tinkering with settings/bios etc. then for sure building your own PC is a pretty good experience.
But if you just expect to put the parts together and hope everything will be great, then DIYing may not be for you.

Back