Bought a PC local. What is it really worth?

Only if you're into doing things yourself IMO. Otherwise it may leave you frustrated and the final product may not be that great.
For example:
- Many motherboards have a pretty aggressive fan curve by default. That may cause your freshly built PC to be excessively loud, even with a premium cooler, leading to disappointment.
- AMD AM4 platform supports many generations of their CPUs, however they may not support the newer ones right out of the box, they may need a bios update. Not only that, many will need an older gen CPU for the bios to be updated, leaving the average DIYer in a petty frustrating spot. Intel doesn't have this problem.
- you need to be super careful with handling the CPU and the socket. Those pins are extremely fragile. It can be a costly mistake.
- On the other hand, inserting RAM or an NVME drive feels like you're going to break something. So it's common to see these components not properly seated by the novices.

If you're the DIY type and don't mind some troubleshooting or at least be prepared for it, tinkering with settings/bios etc. then for sure building your own PC is a pretty good experience.
But if you just expect to put the parts together and hope everything will be great, then DIYing may not be for you.
I dont even know what a BIOS is, :sneaky:
A bit of extra money to have no hassle and confidence in the product for me is well worth it.

Looking to buy at PX now I think as no sales tax.
The darn website wont tell you when it will show until you pay of rit though ( if then)
So I cannot pick a model with the all important parameter of delivery time either, sigh.

thats the I stole it now I'm selling it price. 😆

It might be worth repowering it. that 10gen is abit slow but if resale prices are that high..
you could get an i7-12700k with a motherboard and 16GB ram for $350. this is over 100% faster.
then sell the 16GB ram with your 10th gen intel and mobo.

Last edited:
thats the I stole it now I'm selling it price. 😆

It might be worth repowering it. that 10gen is abit slow but if resale prices are that high..
you could get an i7-12700k with a motherboard and 16GB ram for $350. this is over 100% faster.
then sell the 16GB ram with your 10th gen intel and mobo.

I went from that CPU to a 13700k and I wouldn't say it's 100% faster but slightly noticeable as far as game framerates go. I had a version of that gigabyte mobo too and the USB ports were crazy finicky; eventually only half of them worked.

Back