Bought a new Glock 19X

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I stopped in to my local gun store to browse yesterday. Was not going to buy anything, was there to browse and just look around. I saw the Glock 19X in the case. I had NO interest in this gun, but I asked the clerk to see the gun.

I've been a long time Glock fan. Ive owned a ton of them, perhaps 40-50 of them over the past 20 years. That being said I HATE the finger grooves on the 3rd and 4th generation pistols. I was very happy to see Glock remove the finger grooves on the 5th gen pistols. Glock totally screwed up the grip on the 5th gen Glock 19. It has a cutout in the front bottom of the grip to facilitate ripping the mag out in a malfunction. The 5th gen G19 grip is unusable by me, its so bad.

Enter the G19X. Its a 5th gen G17 frame, with a G19 slide. And it just melted into my hands. The most comfortable Glock grip I have ever felt. I had no interest in the G19X, until I actually had it in my hands. It just feels so well balanced, and perfect in the hand. This model comes standard with night sights, one 17 round magazine, and two magazines with plus 2 base-plates (19 round). It also comes with 4 back straps you can add to the pistol to fit your hand.

This pistol is close to what Glock submitted for the military pistol trials. As such, it is a Coyote Brown or Desert Tan type color. I dont really care about the color one way or the other, and probably would have just bought a black one, but those are not available yet.

I think Glock fans will really like this pistol.

p_100026665_1.jpg

Nice capacity... I'm still rocking the regular gen3 Glock 19 as my daily carry.

I switch it up sometimes with my other guns, but I always go back to the 19

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Are older mags compatible with this gun?

My understanding is no, as the old mags have a different base plate which interferes with the mag seating in the new grip design.

Funny how that happens. Interesting how polarizing the finger grooves are. I never notice them at all. The design makes good sense, but if they decide to make a G19 with a G17 slide I'm in.

Now we need a range report and not the "one ragged hole when I do my part" [censored]. That gun should be able to shoot and move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice buy.

But Glock really needs to up it's game. They aren't the only polymer framed striker fired gun on the market anymore and the Turkish built Caniks have a ton more features for less money.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Interesting how polarizing the finger grooves are. I never notice them at all.

I'm the same way. The finger grooves don't matter one way or the other. I own and shoot so many pistols, I honestly couldn't tell which one's have finger grooves or not. I don't even think about it any longer. I think it was a huge mistake to not make this model compatible to all existing Glock magazines. I wouldn't buy it based on that alone. I've got too much money tied up in Glock magazines, to be forced to start buying more just for this model. Total PITA.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Are older mags compatible with this gun?

Originally Posted By: billt460
I think it was a huge mistake to not make this model compatible to all existing Glock magazines. I wouldn't buy it based on that alone. I've got too much money tied up in Glock magazines, to be forced to start buying more just for this model. Total PITA.

Hold your horses.

Gen 3 mags work fine for right hand shooters. Since they only have the cutout on one side of the mag, you cant swap the mag release to the right side for left hand shooters.

Gen 4 mags work fine, and they should, as the mags included with the gun are Gen 4 mags.

Gen 5 mags wont fit with the extended bases plates. If you swap the baseplates to the older style, then yes, they fit and work fine.

Honestly, all gen 3 through gen 5 mags are all the same, except the ambi cut was added in Gen 4, and new shaped baseplates were added in Gen 5, as well as the orange follower in the gen 5. Orange follower vs black follower doesn't make a hill of beans difference, they are the same follower, just different color.

I'll just offer up this pro-tip as it relates to Glock magazines. They are cheap. They also hold their value. Every 5 years, I sell off my vast amount of Glock magazines, for about $18/each, used, on a gun forum. I then replace them all for $19.99/new. Why? Because magazines and springs wear out. I like to have new springs in my guns. You cannot buy a new spring for less than $6. Considering that I can sell a used mag for $18, and buy a new one for $20, its a no brainer to just sell off all my old mags every 5 years, and replace them with brand new mags, for the grand total of about $2 each.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Nice buy.

But Glock really needs to up it's game. They aren't the only polymer framed striker fired gun on the market anymore and the Turkish built Caniks have a ton more features for less money.

True. Have a Canik TP9SF and the trigger is much better than Glock's factory trigger.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Boo on the finger grooves!

I carried a 1st gen model 23 for around 15 years on the job and was deadly with it. Agency got all cranky about personal guns finally so I had to go to the finger grip 9 mm they were issuing, I think model 19 3. I didn’t like it but at that point didn’t much give a hoot anymore.
So I trudge off to the range for qual and tell them, oh well as long as I’ve carried one of these I might as well show you how it’s done with this big old pea shooter. Those finger grips felt way nicer than my older gun. I cut loose as I always did with my much smaller .40. Boy I impressed them alright. None hit the silhouette and most missed the whole target with a couple surely missing the whole backstop. So I slow it down and manage to hit all on the paper and a couple in the left side elbow, horrible. A while later I managed to keep them all on the silhouette more off to the left than center. That’s with the sight drifted fully to the side and it still wasn’t right . Eventually I trained myself how to use the thing reasonably well but I really had to slow down and concentrate. Gone was my lightning draw and the first shot on the firing line hitting someplace painful. By the time I went through all the process which used to be near instantaneous I was downright slow. I had to learn to position my finger perfectly on the trigger to just get by . Not exactly what you want for a duty gun.
The weirdest thing was that grip , I really liked it and it fit my medium sized hand so nicely. Nobody ,least of all me could ever figure out why that gun worked so badly for me. Especially since it had the same exact trigger. I guess some things work great that shouldn’t and some things that should don’t, oh well.
crazy.gif

True the Caniks are nice. In fact, I think they are so nice that I keep one in my daily driver, and depend on it to save my life, should I need it.

If a person was on a budget, and needed a good reliable pistol, I would have no problem recommending a Canik TP9V2 or TP9SF or similar.

But if you want to talk Canik firearms, go start you own thread. This one is about the G19X.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Driz
I carried a 1st gen model 23 for around 15 years on the job and was deadly with it.

Very, very rare if it was even made, which I'm almost positive, it wasn't. There are no first gen Glock 23 pistols. They were introduced in gen 2.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
True the Caniks are nice. In fact, I think they are so nice that I keep one in my daily driver, and depend on it to save my life, should I need it.

If a person was on a budget, and needed a good reliable pistol, I would have no problem recommending a Canik TP9V2 or TP9SF or similar.

But if you want to talk Canik firearms, go start you own thread. This one is about the G19X.

Thanks

LOL just think of me as a strong critic of Gaston.

You have a fine gun there and nobody can deny that Glocks did a lot for firearms innovation. But ever since Gen4 it seems like they are just recycling ideas instead of making more breakthroughs.

True Gaston needs to die. Sorry to say it, but he is 100 years old, and he doesn't care to innovate.

After Ruger died, the company starting innovating. I believe Glock will innovate, once the old man is dead.

True Gaston needs to die. Sorry to say it, but he is 100 years old, and he doesn't care to innovate.

He's only 88, and is worth $2.6 BILLION. His annual salary is $250,000,000.00, ($250 MILLION), a year. And he manufactures one of the absolute best self defense and service pistols ever invented. Why should he "innovate"?

http://www.whatnetworth.com/gaston-glock/

After Ruger died, the company starting innovating. I believe Glock will innovate, once the old man is dead.

What you say about Glock might be true and is likely true about Ruger. Funny thing is all the old Ruger Luddites on the forums hate what sells and complain loudly there aren't enough blued steel/wood revolvers and No.1 Rugers being made anymore. So they can't buy them cheap from a widow and add them to the collection....

I'd have to tie a string to that 19X, if I set it down around here I probably couldn't find it again.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
How much did you pay for your G19X ?

To much. I saw them at my local gun store for $699. I can buy 2 M AND Ps for that price, almost. Or a Ruger E9 and a S AND W SD9 for that price. I am waiting on my income tax check and will buy a GEN 4 G23 from GRAB A GUN online for $484 plus $7.99 shipping. My cousin has a ffl so that will be free. Is Glock still mad because the ARMY picked Sig Saur over Glock? My dad hates Glock and is still laughing at them for trying to sue the gov.

The 19X is basically a Glock "commander". The biggest criticism is the price. For what it is and what it offers over a standard Gen 4 or 5, the price is a bit steep in my opinion. Glock fans will buy it as will people who want something that was part of the latest competition.

Also I have never been a fan of the tactical poop colors on guns. I like black, OD green, and grey but not shades of Hershey squirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back