Bought a CPO 2017 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 Double Cab

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
I know that the Silverados had the "Chevy Shake" issues with this era of truck and a lot of people had to lemon law their vehicles. Was the GMC line also affected by these engineering/manufacturing defects?

Never experienced it.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
I know that the Silverados had the "Chevy Shake" issues with this era of truck and a lot of people had to lemon law their vehicles. Was the GMC line also affected by these engineering/manufacturing defects?

No shake here. Had a lot of 2015-2016 rentals before buying one. None of those had a shake either.

Going though some documentation, I found that this color of red actually has multiple names.

As a GMC, the window sticker referred to it as "Cardinal Red". Cadillac would have called it "Velocity Red". Chevy would have called it "Red Hot"...

But my favorite, the GM Accessories division refers to it as... "Pull me over Red".

Heh...

My favorite is, of course, arrestmered. Came to me when I remembered a friend talking about accurately restoring what he called "arrestme stripes" on his 1966 Shelby GT350.

Probably wouldn't pick the color again. Almost got a poor guy in a blue Taurus killed. While making good time up Hwy 95 in Nowhere Nevada, he decided the bright red Z28 would get the ticket if we both were radared. While all my passes were safe, he was passing cars on inside corners over double yellow lines to keep up with me.

Just a note about why some people experience short battery life such as 3 years or less, and others get much more than that from their batteries:

In general chemical reactions will double in speed for each increase of 18 degrees Fahrenheit ( 10 degrees Celsius ) and happen half as fast for each decrease of 18 degrees Fahrenheit ( 10 degrees Celsius ).

So it makes perfect sense that someone who lives in Arizona will get a maximum of 3 years from a battery, while others get much more life from their batteries.

An average temperature change of only 18 degrees Fahrenheit can have a major effect on how fast the acid interacts with the plates in the battery.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Just a note about why some people experience short battery life such as 3 years or less, and others get much more than that from their batteries:

In general chemical reactions will double in speed for each increase of 18 degrees Fahrenheit ( 10 degrees Celsius ) and happen half as fast for each decrease of 18 degrees Fahrenheit ( 10 degrees Celsius ).

So it makes perfect sense that someone who lives in Arizona will get a maximum of 3 years from a battery, while others get much more life from their batteries.

An average temperature change of only 18 degrees Fahrenheit can have a major effect on how fast the acid interacts with the plates in the battery.

In Miami I got 3 years out of my original battery.

It has now nearly been 4 months since I bought the Sierra. Since I already have saved searches on sites such as AutoTrader, I ran a few of them this morning, to see what it out there for sale today.

I'll be blunt. I could not replace this truck today, at any price, anywhere within a 500 mile radius. If I could, I would have to give up on the bright red and take any color, and it would cost me around $5,000 more. And I'd defintely have to give up the max trailering package, and just be happy with something that had an integrated trailer brake from the factory.

I rode about 200 miles on the motorcycle yesterday. Every new car lot that I passed, I spent some time on. I saw dealerships that usually have 30-40 used pickup trucks on hand, with 6 or 8 used trucks now. I've also noticed that the dealership that I bought this truck from is not doing the CPO program anymore. They don't have to, in a red hot seller's market like this.

Hopefully, some of this will be alleviated with new 2021's showing up on dealer lots... but I'm not so sure how quickly there will be a recovery.

What I saw on many dealer lots were lease turn-ins (as my 2017 Sierra was), or ex-rental vehicles (mainly 2020's with less than 8,000 miles). There were very few vehicles at all in the 2014-2018 range.

Reactions: JTK
Its a nice truck. However I think "certified" still means buyer beware. I bought a CPO 2012 GMC Sierra SLT-it was a beautiful truck-less than 30,000 miles. I test drove it and it appeared fine. However-on the second day a rough (tumble like) idle developed that I chased for 6 months-sometime it would idle like a lumber truck. I finally traded it in and due to crazy high resale values on trucks-I didn't take a bath on it. Your truck wouldn't fit in my garage with those mirrors tho.

Thats a nice truck !
Friend of mine had a 2015 or 16 not sure now , used that truck many times to travel for hockey tourneys ,crew cab 8 foot box big truck, only issue the afm was very harsh you could really feel the truck jerk . traded it on a 18 been flawless, both 5.3

Every car/truck has their problems. I hope you have good luck with this one.

I had a 2017 Sierra SLT that I loved. Unfortunately, GM couldn't fix the 8 speed issues and I traded it in.

Attachments

• IMG_20170621_122642.jpg
    IMG_20170621_122642.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 12
It has now nearly been 4 months since I bought the Sierra. Since I already have saved searches on sites such as AutoTrader, I ran a few of them this morning, to see what it out there for sale today.

I'll be blunt. I could not replace this truck today, at any price, anywhere within a 500 mile radius. If I could, I would have to give up on the bright red and take any color, and it would cost me around $5,000 more.

For sure on that.

I bought my ex rental 2019 Ram 1500 classic right around July 4th this year. That same truck now with double or even 3x the miles on it is $4k more than I paid. Insane.

For sure on that.

I bought my ex rental 2019 Ram 1500 classic right around July 4th this year. That same truck now with double or even 3x the miles on it is $4k more than I paid. Insane.
I think the used market is improving though. Last month, the carvana buy out price for my truck was $37K. This month has dropped to $34K. Mileage is unchanged.

Reactions: JTK
I have a 2017 Sierra. Couldn’t find one equipped with Max Trailering when I was in the market. They we’re hard to find around here. Those big mirrors and 3.73 make towing less of a chore. Regardless of what some in the peanut gallery say, you have a nice truck.

I have a 2017 Sierra. Couldn’t find one equipped with Max Trailering when I was in the market. They we’re hard to find around here. Those big mirrors and 3.73 make towing less of a chore. Regardless of what some in the peanut gallery say, you have a nice truck.

What gets me, is that this small town GMC dealership just south of Gary, Indiana had not just one, but two Sierras with the Max Trailering package. They were both off-lease, low mile, 2017 units. They had mine in red, and they had another in black. The black one was delivered a day before mine, and it went south of Indianapolis. I consider myself very lucky. I jumped all over this one and didn't let it get away.

First off, apologies for all the flack you've (unnecessarily) caught in this thread. You bought a beautiful, UNIQUE truck and you should be proud of it.

Might it have some issues? Sure. Have you researched the A/C condenser issue? GM has had more than it's share of issues with them, there's a TSB that details it. Basically the drier welded to the side of the condenser wasn't welded enough, causing it to flex and crack. There's an updated part from GM, and the aftermarket units I've seen also seem to have updated their design although the fit and finish leaves much to be desired.

Second, the belt-driven vacuum pump for the brakes. Much known issue. I forget which model year they "fixed" this, however when it does fail it sucks engine oil up and into the brake booster vacuum line and eventually into the booster itself. GM's recommended fix is to replace all 3 parts: vacuum pump, line, and booster. Personally, I see a loss of vacuum assist long before any oil gets sucked into the line. There may be a recall on this, I can't recall.

Other than that, they're great trucks. Your truck actually reminded me of my first pickup: an equally odd-ball 1991 F150. It was a regular cab, long box, Lariat package truck. However, it had the straight 6, the 4-speed non-OD manual trans, manual transfer case, auto locking hubs, dual shock front suspension, full gauge package but with manual mirrors, windows, and locks, and 250 rear leafs from the factory. Someone went goofy with the order sheet on that one!

What gets me, is that this small town GMC dealership just south of Gary, Indiana had not just one, but two Sierras with the Max Trailering package. They were both off-lease, low mile, 2017 units. They had mine in red, and they had another in black. The black one was delivered a day before mine, and it went south of Indianapolis. I consider myself very lucky. I jumped all over this one and didn't let it get away.

I sent you a PM

First off, apologies for all the flack you've (unnecessarily) caught in this thread. You bought a beautiful, UNIQUE truck and you should be proud of it.

Might it have some issues? Sure. Have you researched the A/C condenser issue? GM has had more than it's share of issues with them, there's a TSB that details it. Basically the drier welded to the side of the condenser wasn't welded enough, causing it to flex and crack. There's an updated part from GM, and the aftermarket units I've seen also seem to have updated their design although the fit and finish leaves much to be desired.

Second, the belt-driven vacuum pump for the brakes. Much known issue. I forget which model year they "fixed" this, however when it does fail it sucks engine oil up and into the brake booster vacuum line and eventually into the booster itself. GM's recommended fix is to replace all 3 parts: vacuum pump, line, and booster. Personally, I see a loss of vacuum assist long before any oil gets sucked into the line. There may be a recall on this, I can't recall.

Other than that, they're great trucks. Your truck actually reminded me of my first pickup: an equally odd-ball 1991 F150. It was a regular cab, long box, Lariat package truck. However, it had the straight 6, the 4-speed non-OD manual trans, manual transfer case, auto locking hubs, dual shock front suspension, full gauge package but with manual mirrors, windows, and locks, and 250 rear leafs from the factory. Someone went goofy with the order sheet on that one!
Both issues addressed with recalls. The beauty of buying from the dealer (especially CPO) .... all recalls, campaigns, and issues are taken care of before the vehicle is on the sales lot. Typically there is more warranty with a CPO.

Your truck actually reminded me of my first pickup: an equally odd-ball 1991 F150. It was a regular cab, long box, Lariat package truck. However, it had the straight 6, the 4-speed non-OD manual trans, manual transfer case, auto locking hubs, dual shock front suspension, full gauge package but with manual mirrors, windows, and locks, and 250 rear leafs from the factory. Someone went goofy with the order sheet on that one!
Sounds like a BITOG special, albeit from 1991!

Auto locking hubs? If it had manual hubs and a radio delete it would have been the BITOG home run.

Reactions: CKN
Both issues addressed with recalls. The beauty of buying from the dealer (especially CPO) .... all recalls, campaigns, and issues are taken care of before the vehicle is on the sales lot. Typically there is more warranty with a CPO.
I can't begin to count how many vehicle carfax I have seen with open recalls sitting
on dealers lots....

Trusting carfax for real information? Have traded two vehicles to dealers who put them on their used car lot with clean car fax reports. Both had been wrecked/repaired subrogating insurance claims....

Back