Bought a CPO 2017 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 Double Cab

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Me too. Good luck with that truck. I leased a '16 Silverado double cab and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. 6 speed trans is a joke, radio would cut out if u used remote start, power seat issues, crappy Goodyear OEM tires that slipped in rain. Etc etc.

Needing a new battery with 15K miles isn't a good sign either...

I'm sure it'll still be better overall than the 2000 GMC that it will eventually replace. Every purchase is a calculated risk to some point. You pays your money and you take your choice. Mine happened to be another GMC.

A nearly 4 year old truck with only 15,000 miles on it did some sitting...a lot of sitting. This truck has zero evidence that it was ever driven in the winter, no salt damage at all. I'm not surprised at all that it needed a battery. And I'm thrilled that I'm not the one who had to replace it.

The tires that you buy a vehicle with are rarely ever anything that you'd pick, if given a choice. That said, I just put a new set of OEM Goodyear Fortitude HT's on my 2004 Silverado. The same tire used on brand new GM, Ford, and Dodge pickups. Apparently, the joke is on me.

However, I'm glad you were able to walk away from a leased vehicle that you didn't like, and the best of luck with your Dodge in the future.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I bought a 2018 to get a 6L80e … and easy to find problems with all of them … these are not touch screen complaints

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ram/1500/2016/recalls/

I was trying my best to be polite, which at most times is really unusual for me.

I've owned Dodge vehicles before. I had a 2011 Town and Country Touring-L.

The rear condenser for the A/C corroded and leaked out all of the freon (common flaw in all of the rust-belt states) and had to be replaced for $1500.

It had a faulty TIPM unit, which Dodge left all of it's owners to fend for themselves with, including me. It was a simple work around. Randomly, it wouldn't start in park. So, run it up and down though the gears a few times, and then it would start in neutral. Annoying? You bet.

One time, it remote started itself in the garage that was attached to the house. It was discovered it in the garage, running... with all of the doors locked. Hopefully, it would have shut itself off after 15 minutes, but I have no idea if it would have or not. After all, it did start itself. Why would it then shut itself off to keep from killing me, or burning the house down? After that happened, the remote starting feature was disabled by creating an intentional open in the hood switch. The remote start doesn't work when it thinks the hood is up.

And thankfully, I didn't have any issues with the head cracking on its 3.6 engine

It works both ways. He wasn't happy with his Chevy, I wasn't happy with my Dodge.

As I said... you pays your money and you make your choice. He chose a Dodge. Good for him.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
You pulling a trailer with it? Sweet truck enjoy

More than just a trailer...

This:
[Linked Image]

And this:
[Linked Image]

Picture was taken during a campsite Halloween decorating contest...

The 6.2 max tow of this generation gets 3.42 gears and the 5.3 max tow is upped to 3.73 in case anyone was wondering. The lighter double cab SLE trim and gearing would put a 5.3 max tow close to a 6.2 max tow in performance. I describe the 6.2 as borderline overpowered so this setup the OP has purchased is really nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
The 6.2 max tow of this generation gets 3.42 gears and the 5.3 max tow is upped to 3.73 in case anyone was wondering. The lighter double cab SLE trim and gearing would put a 5.3 max tow close to a 6.2 max tow in performance. I describe the 6.2 as borderline overpowered so this setup the OP has purchased is really nice.

Thank you. I very much appreciate the information. The truck that this one will eventually replace is also a 5.3 with a 3.73. But that 5.3 is 20 years old, and is probably 100 horsepower shy of this one, at this point.

I found this unit after a year long search. As soon as I saw the listing for this truck appear on Autotrader, with the listing mentioned that it had a 3.73... I knew that I needed to make the 250 mile round trip to go take a look... and I wasn't disappointed.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Me too. Good luck with that truck. I leased a '16 Silverado double cab and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. 6 speed trans is a joke, radio would cut out if u used remote start, power seat issues, crappy Goodyear OEM tires that slipped in rain. Etc etc.

I'm sure it'll still be better overall than the 2000 GMC that it will eventually replace. Every purchase is a calculated risk to some point. You pays your money and you take your choice. Mine happened to be another GMC.

A nearly 4 year old truck with only 15,000 miles on it did some sitting...a lot of sitting. This truck has zero evidence that it was ever driven in the winter, no salt damage at all. I'm not surprised at all that it needed a battery. And I'm thrilled that I'm not the one who had to replace it.

The tires that you buy a vehicle with are rarely ever anything that you'd pick, if given a choice. That said, I just put a new set of OEM Goodyear Fortitude HT's on my 2004 Silverado. The same tire used on brand new GM, Ford, and Dodge pickups. Apparently, the joke is on me.

However, I'm glad you were able to walk away from a leased vehicle that you didn't like, and the best of luck with your Dodge in the future.

My Dodge has Bridgestone tires. And it gets turned in this coming week. I finally realized having a gas hog truck as a daily driver is a foolish endeavor. Sure it sweet, but it makes ZERO sense.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I bought a 2018 to get a 6L80e … and easy to find problems with all of them … these are not touch screen complaints

Yep -I have a 2018 Silverado bought new. The OP will find clunking in the power train and the 6 speed is a slush box-especially the 1-2 shift. But the dealer (and GM) finds all this normal. (Common issues on the truck forums).

And mine sticked at $54,000.00 (Not that I paid any where near that much.)

I have said this before on here-Im not happy that my wife's $30,000.00 HYundai Santa Fe XL is more refined, and has better paint quality.

I mentioned to my wife that my pickup is not anywhere near refined that a fairly expensive vehicle should be.

I bought 2015 CPO Sierra I traded in on the 2018. Spent 6 months trying to chase down a rough idle-no luck. The only upside was the tremendous trade in on the 2015-over 50% of the selling price on the 2018.

Last edited:
Ok since you know when his will do that let me know when either of my two will start.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Congratulations, excellent looking truck. I would personally skip on the chrome handles, factory red paint looks terrific

I've not had any battery on a vehicle last more than 3 years. It's not uncommon at all.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by 4WD

Yep -I have a 2018 Silverado bought new. The OP will find clunking in the power train and the 6 speed is a slush box-especially the 1-2 shift. But the dealer (and GM) finds all this normal. (Common issues on the truck forums).

I have said this before on here-Im not happy that my wife's $30,000.00 HYundai Santa Fe XL is more refined, and has better paint quality.

I mentioned to my wife that my pickup is not anywhere near refined that a fairly expensive vehicle should be.

I bought 2015 CPO Sierra I traded in on the 2018. Spent 6 months trying to chase down a rough idle-no luck. The only upside was the tremendous trade in on the 2015-over 50% of the selling price on the 2018.

Well it's nice of you to predict clunking when I haven't experienced it in the OP's truck. If you are experiencing this change the differential fluid and cut some bicycle tire inner tubes and place them in between the leaf springs and the "drivetrain" clunking will likely go away.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by 4WD

Well it's nice of you to predict clunking when I haven't experienced it in the OP's truck. If you are experiencing this change the differential fluid and cut some bicycle tire inner tubes and place them in between the leaf springs and the "drivetrain" clunking will likely go away.

The OP's truck doesn't have enough miles on it yet where he is going to find all the additional "features".

Nice truck! I noticed the mirrors right off. Rare for a 1500 for sure.

Last edited:
Funny my truck has significantly more miles than yours and it doesn't have any of your problems.

That is funny..I had three- a 2011-2015-and now 2018 and they all exhibited the same issues. However-some worse than others.

Originally Posted by CKN
Funny my truck has significantly more miles than yours and it doesn't have any of your problems.

That is funny..I had three- a 2011-2015-and now 2018 and they all exhibited the same issues. However-some worse than others.

Exactly^^^ some people just aren't mechanically observant and get hurt feelings when they hear bad stuff about something they spent significant money on.

The thing is, it's not funny at all, it's typical for GM, and shame on them for putting their customers through it, repeatedly.

Back