Bought a CPO 2017 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 Double Cab

This thread started off positive then turned negative. If you have nothing nice to say about his 1500 Sierra then just move on. No need for GM bashing on this thread.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by dave1251
Funny my truck has significantly more miles than yours and it doesn't have any of your problems.

That is funny..I had three- a 2011-2015-and now 2018 and they all exhibited the same issues. However-some worse than others.

The only funny part it's a select few have stated issues.
It's a great looking truck and I hope the OP has the same luck I've had with mine only minor issues. The only issue I've had is the "techs" always break a TMPS when anything is done with a tire.

I've not had any battery on a vehicle last more than 3 years. It's not uncommon at all.

The OEM battery in my 3er lasted over 10 years. I only replaced it as a precaution. I'm at 6 years on the OEM battery in the 2er, 5 years on the X.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
This thread started off positive then turned negative. If you have nothing nice to say about his 1500 Sierra then just move on. No need for GM bashing on this thread.

It's not a bug, it's a BITOG "Feature".

It's very unusual to find a marque specific thread on BITOG that has not attracted a few nay-sayers and or trolls.

1995, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2017, and 2018.

None of these "common" issues ...
... none consumed oil either

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
1995, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2017, and 2018.

None of these "common" issues ...
... none consumed oil either

They didn't do the valve cover retrofit until late in the 2011 model year. So yes-ON SOME TRUCKS there is an oil consumption issue from 2007 to 2010.

And I have owned three-however having three models after the 2010 model year none consumed oil-but as previously mentioned-there were/are other issues. 2007 was the first model year with AFM-issues were more prevalent with oil consumption in 2007. All years previous to that the 5.3 is bullet proof.

Yea-I guess I'm familiar with the later years (since I have owned THREE) that I know what the issues are-and from research across three different model specific truck forums to know that they are fairly common.

So-if that makes me a "naysayer" so be it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact

I've not had any battery on a vehicle last more than 3 years. It's not uncommon at all.

The OEM battery in my 3er lasted over 10 years. I only replaced it as a precaution. I'm at 6 years on the OEM battery in the 2er, 5 years on the X.

I suspect region and model have a lot to do with it, as well as the actual battery (OEM's tend to use the good stuff up front). I never had a battery go more than 7 yet the one in my truck is pushing 10 now--only reason I've kept it is that it's easy to swap and I have a spare (in either of the cars).

I know used vehicles don't come with a backstory but I wonder if this truck comes with a sob story behind it--someone spec'd it out right, then had a major life upset and it would up sitting. Don't have to kill the battery too many times for it to be kaput (sitting too long without running). Alternatively it might just be practice at this dealership, or part of this CPO program; it's a small cost compared to the item, after all (like doing a pad slap so as to say "hey it's got new brakes!").

Originally Posted by wtd
Nice truck. Since the rear doors don't look full size, is that what they consider an extended cab?

That basically replaced the old suicide door extended cabs. The larger rear doors are crew cabs. I personally prefer the crewcab for the additional room but if you don't need it the smaller rear doors are an improvement over the older suicide door design.

That's a sweet looking truck and an awesome old ride to tow behind it, I am definitely a sucker for a red truck too

Originally Posted by wtd
Nice truck. Since the rear doors don't look full size, is that what they consider an extended cab?

This is what GM used to refer to as an "extended cab", they refer to them now as a "double cab". A crew cab (four full size doors) will typically cost another $4,000-$5,000 more in the used market, and more likely than not, it will have a shorter 5 1/4 foot bed. Double cabs have a 6 1/2 foot bed. That said, you can get a 6 1/2 foot bed with a crew, but they are fairly rare, and won't fit in most typical garages that are attached to houses.

Since this truck was equipped the way that it is... it was a bit of a compromise. I'm already used to the double cab set up, and I've seen very, very few equipped like this one, in this part of the country... then add in the overall condition, and the low low miles... couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I'm in the northern half of Illinois. Just in 2019, we had a low AIR temperature of -38, and a high AIR temperature of 96... both within just 6 months, both readings taken within 100 miles. Just nearly a 140 degree swing.. that's all.

Well, I decided to sit back, until things finally calmed down. Not surprising, as was mentioned earlier, it seems to be a thing here. You mention anything from just about any brand, and the haters will come out of the woodwork.

I've chosen not to respond to the one who must enjoy mud wrestling with pigs in his spare time. The only thing I will say... to buy three of something that you're obviously so disgruntled with.... was some GM salesman holding a family member as a hostage all of that time? Or possibly... Thank you sir, may I have another?

At least the other guy apparently gave up after one that he wasn't happy with, and then got a Dodge instead. As I mentioned earlier, good for him.

I've put about 500 miles on it so far... nothing has blown up, nothing has fallen off yet. I'm sure that a few will be dismayed to learn that.

So far, it has a new set of Husky Weatherbeater floor liners, a set of Weathertech no-drill mudflaps (that went on in 10 minutes), and a set of chrome door handle covers. The chrome body side molding covers should be here early next week, as should the front license plate holder from the dealership.

For this application, the Husky Weatherbeater floor liners are every bit as nice as the WeatherTech floor liners that I have in the Silverado.... but they cost 40% less. However, the WeatherTech mudflaps were superior in design, when compared to the Husky mudflaps, when it came to the ease of installation.

I know that the Silverados had the "Chevy Shake" issues with this era of truck and a lot of people had to lemon law their vehicles. Was the GMC line also affected by these engineering/manufacturing defects?

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
I know that the Silverados had the "Chevy Shake" issues with this era of truck and a lot of people had to lemon law their vehicles. Was the GMC line also affected by these engineering/manufacturing defects?

Yep!! I've got a 2016 Sierra crew cab SLT. She's a real shaker and a heart breaker.

Last edited:
Back