boss gives you 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put in my 2 wks this morning and the boss tells me that he is willing to give me a pay increase. 3.50 more than I make now and 3.50 more than I'll make at my new job which is a Ford dealer. The place I work for now is a private shop and realistically only be around another 2 yrs. Well I told him I would need a day to think about his offer and he said I had 30 seconds when the time was up he demanded a decision and I said I simply cannot make one that quickly and he said OK then I'll accept that as your resignation and that it's OK "a lot of young guys make dumb sh**s decisionso like me. Well then at the end of the day the service manager asks me to stay and says he talked to the boss and he will give me time to think on it and either way there is no hard feelings. They really want me to stay. Guess my question is have you ever been in a similar situation and if so what did you do? What would you do? The extra pay is nice but the dealer probably offers more potential over all.

The dealer potential is a good gamble! Especially if you get factory training. probably work you like a slave though.

"3.50 more than I make now and 3.50 more than I'll make at my new job which is a Ford dealer. "

Is this right, you were going to take a new job for the same pay you have now?

If so, sounds like you weren't too happy. Between that and a boss that sounds like... well.... less than ideal I'd at least consider the move. Still for 7 grand a year I'd probably stay where you're at, assuming things won't get worse after your attempt to flee.

If you were valuable enough for them to make a counter offer, then you are just as valuable the next morning as you are that 30 seconds. Rarely does a counter offer work out well, they need you until they can get a replacement, then you might even be let go. Unless in a unique working relationship where you implicitly trust them, i would not take a counter offer.

I personally do not like the heavy hand pressure of a 30 second decision, that would make me decline the offer instantly.

You did the right thing. The boss didn't.

If he doesn't respect you enough to let you think before committing to a work arrangement, he's not a good person to work for.

If the shop is only going to be around for a couple years, find something more stable. The dealer sounds like the right decision.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

If he doesn't respect you enough to let you think before committing to a work arrangement, he's not a good person to work for.

+1, your boss sounds like a jerk. Saying that your making a stupid decision would turn me off from working for him. The dealer sounds like the way to go. Good luck to you!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

No surprise about his boss pulling that stunt of giving him
that idiotic offer....there are scads of morons like that in the
automotive service and repair business, and that is a large part of the reason why the consumers hate the business as well.

ram_man...

Unless the "boss" is willing to give you a written contract that is legally binding (cannot be fired without legit cause!) I would accept the offer at the Ford store. I would only give your current
poor excuse for a boss a few days notice as well, he's likely to send you out the door immediately anyhow.

I have read where statistically those who receive a counter offer still end up leaving within 12 months. FYI.

Once you have notified an employer that you have accepted an offer at a new job, Never, Never, accept a counter offer.

If you were to accept a counter offer, and stay at your current job, then you will always be remembered as the fellow who is not loyal to the company. It is quite likely that this will be remembered every time there are pay increases. That $3.50/hr will come with a price. Next time there is are pay increases, yours will be short, because you already got yours. If there is a promotion, it may be given to the other guy. You know, the one who did not threaten to leave the company. If they have to lay off, it may be the guy who was going to leave anyway.

I have been told this by at least two different professional HR consultants. They say that sometimes, it does work out. But it is a gamble. And when it comes to your career, it is not a gamble worth taking.

Much as your boss sounds like a jerk for the way he handled it, a $3.50/hour raise is a lot of money, especially these days with how tight-fisted companies are.

No-body gets raises like that anymore, and if the new place isn't offering you more money to come over, how much do they value what you bring to them?

If the other poster who commented is right, and the dealership 'works you like a slave', you'll be working harder for the same money....sounds great!

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Once you have notified an employer that you have accepted an offer at a new job, Never, Never, accept a counter offer.

Hear hear! I had enough correspondence and communications with HR (in my industry, for a couple of my close friends are HR) and hiring that I know this is indeed true out there in the job market.

They will always have that itsy feeling inside and when the situation becomes better( for them, that is), you'll be the 1st one on their axe list.

Trust me on that.

You've done the right thing and maintain your posture well. Don't let your current boss tempt you with counter offer. Bow out of the stage in style and also remember to maintain good relationships with all your former/current employers and colleagues, for things will come around full-circle one day. Good reputation worths gold these days, and you don't want to burn the bridges and leave bad impression.

Good luck.

Q.

Your current (soon to be former) boss is a bully and I see why you want to leave. You previously posted about worrying about giving a two week notice and I see why. I turned down a job offer for 15% more than my current salary because two coworkers who recently came over from that other company warned me against it because of the negative culture, stating that they would have been willing to take a 15% pay cut to go elsewhere. The culture at your current place is toxic and I think that it is great that you will be able to move without taking a pay cut.

If you have accepted the new job, then there is no turning back, in my book. Two managers at my company recently extended offers to two prospects, who then bowed out. It put those managers in tough spots after putting these people through the many hoops of the screening process, only to have to turn around and do it all over again. Accepting and then turning down an offer will definitely burn bridges.

if a boss is dumb enough to give you a 30 second ultimatum, the only response you need give is this which is something i'm sure all of us has fantasized about at one point or another.

It's just a tactic to screw you over. He's guaranteeing a full workforce for as long as he needs, and you're replaceable. So as soon as he gets his replacement, on his schedule and his terms, you'll get your 30 min notice and be gone.

You know going in that dealer work starting out is really tough. You're earning your keep and proving yourself, while building factory training and taking as many classes and specializing as much as you can. Won't be fun or pretty. But in the end you'll be worth your while.

I'd not look at the lost $3.50 as truly a long term major reduction in take home. You were a goner as soon as they could. I'd look at it as you'd need to pay $7k if not a lot more to get sufficient training to what you'll (hopefully, be proactive about it) get for "free" (lower salary or equal salary I guess) at the dealer.

What's nice about working for a dealer besides the free factory school is that you stand a good chance of getting a new boss periodically. Those service managers jump around to different dealers a lot.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
if a boss is dumb enough to give you a 30 second ultimatum, the only response you need give is this which is something i'm sure all of us has fantasized about at one point or another.

I was expecting more of a Office Space reference, but what I got didn't disappoint!

If that's gonna be there additude, and you know they're going under, maybe just better to jump ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back