Bosh & Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an announcement that Purolator is being sold to Bosh.

"April 1 2006 Bosh will acquire all Purolator oil,air, fuel and cabin filters"

Source Filtration and Separation March 2006

I asked a Bosch rep if they would still be selling Champion Labs filters in the US. He didnt know, but figured it logical that those products would shift to Purolator.

I found this thread as I was searching before starting my own thread. I've been saying for a long time, based both upon what I've seen on filter boxes I've looked at, and what others have reported, that the Bosch Premium is a Champ Labs product, just like M1, K&N, STP, Valuecraft, and a couple others.

Surprise. Today, I grabbed a Bosch Premium in the size for my new Prius, and discovered that it's very clearly a Purolator design. Same spiral design center tube, same look to the seal O-ring, same oblong intake openings, same looking ADBV, etc. I examined several other sizes of Bosch Premiums (I was in an Autozone at lunch today) and found a mix of the "classic" Champ Labs filters, and others that were obvious Puro designs. Looks like the Bosch "Borg" has assimilated Purolator (resistance is futile...), and is using their designs (and I'm guessing pre-existing production facilities) to make some of their brand label products.

Just thought I'd pass along this observation to clarify what I've said in the past about BP -- obviously, they're now NOT all Champ Labs products. Will be interesting to see if they stay with a mixed origin line, or if they all become Puro designs eventually. If so, then the Puro lovers can just start buying these. Not as pretty (basic black vs. Schwinn bike sparkling blue), but same guts apparently...
wink.gif

Yes, same bypass, as far as I could tell without having cut one up. Every indication I could see was that, apart from the paint job, this was the same product that we've known for years as a Purolator. I suppose I really don't know about the media, but I can't imagine that there would be a substantial difference there.
cheers.gif

I recently inestigated the Bosch filters locally - as checker was having a coupon special on them. I didn't buy any, as they were all clearly Champ filters. Not that I have anything against Champ but the particular one I needed was stamped made in Mexico. All others I spot checked were all Champ also, I heard a rumor that Bosch was e-core, couldn't find any that were e-core design. All had metal center tubes. I would wager money that by mid 2007 all the bosch filters will be made by puralator.

"I would wager money that by mid 2007 all the bosch filters will be made by puralator."

Yeah, we can hope it's not the other way around!

The last Bosch filter I almost bought for my Maxima before opening the box and looking at the can was made in Mexico. I assumed they were just like the made in US ones I had been using for shorter OICs in my truck.

Since Bosch doesn't actually make any of the oil filters it sells under its name, and since it has now purchased a company that does actually make oil filters, in the future when its contract with Champion Labs runs out they will obviously begin selling Purolator filters under the Bosch name.

So was the AA Totalgrip I put on the Voyager the other day. I was almost shocked to see a "Made in the USA" sticker on it.

Hecho en Mexico: I didn't find out for several years after I bought it, but my Neon was assembled in Mexico. Still going strong at 195,000+ miles, & the windows don't even rattle.
wink.gif

AA TotalGrip: All mine are made by Purolator. At worst, the media may be of a little less quality than their Premium Plus, the rest seems identical. Great buy when they're on sale in January for half-price! Mark your calendar.
grin.gif

Point of assembly/manufacture doesn't mean a whole bunch ..it's mainly process control, engineering, and QC/QA that determine how good a product is going to be. Bodies are bodies
dunno.gif

I've worked for two large corporations over the last 30 + years and both were baught out by other companies(large as well). Little changed after the transition although everyone was on pins & needles. The manufacturing process remained the same and the quality was never jepordized. Improvements were always being made as technologies were changing. If anything, the companies became globely stronger, better managed with a real vision, goals and a plan for the future. New products were always being developed and the capital for R&D, manufacturing equipment, education/training, maintenance upgrades, etc. became more available. Head count for operations, warehouse, lab, engineering, maintenance, accounting, purchacing, sales, materials management, have all increased even though only slightly.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Point of assembly/manufacture doesn't mean a whole bunch ..it's mainly process control, engineering, and QC/QA that determine how good a product is going to be. Bodies are bodies
dunno.gif

You're right Gary. 'Management' has figured out that they can pay Mexican (Chinese, Honduran etc...) 'bodies'
less than American 'bodies' and thus have higher profits. These higher profits translate into higher salaries and bonuses for management. Patriotism seems to go out the window when it comes to the almighty dollar.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
dunno.gif

I remember a Chevy dealer telling me that new Suburbans shipped from Mexico frequently had their radios missing!! Stolen somewhere between the assembly plant and delivery to US dealers.
The build quality was up to normal GM standards though.....not necessarily something to brag about.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
Hecho en Mexico: I didn't find out for several years after I bought it, but my Neon was assembled in Mexico. Still going strong at 195,000+ miles, & the windows don't even rattle.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Had a Made in Mexico Focus ZX-3 and the assembly was top notch. Wish my American made Accord was assembled as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back