Bosch Steeltech = Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was browsing the Oreilly's website looking for an air filter for my parent's Escape and just for kicks I browsed the oil filters to see their current pricing and thats when I saw they had the Bosch Steeltech filter for 9.99 which I thought was high because I could get it at Menards for around 5. thats when i realized the bosch filters at Menards aren't Steeltechs they are Filtech's and they look purolator made as opposed to the Steeltech filter which looks like a wix-clone.

anyone running the Bosch Steeltech and cut one apart?

Have these been around for awhile and I just noticed them now? I guess I figured the black Bosch filters were all the same until I saw the difference in the name.

O'Reilly says cellulose (NOT BLENDED) media-if it's the same media as a Bosch Premium, it's just as tear-prone as a Purolator Classic. I wonder if this filter could be a Wix by another name?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
O'Reilly says cellulose (NOT BLENDED) media-if it's the same media as a Bosch Premium, it's just as tear-prone as a Purolator Classic. I wonder if this filter could be a Wix by another name?

yeah i saw that and the wix is synthetic for a dollar less.

strange, but I would think the media would be the same as a lower tiered wix and not the purolator media.

I'd have to use one and cut it to see. if they ever go on sale maybe i'll buy one.

I can't tell the difference between Bosch ST either from outside or when cutting it apart. They are usually $1 more than the comparable Wix. But lots of customers demand Bosch instead of Wix. People are dumb!

I stopped in there earlier for that air filter and looked at oil filters while i was there. In the filter size i looked at the ph2 fram size or mc 820s but the bosch and wix equivalent the bosch had the thread end bypass while the wix was the dome end bypass. Might not be like that for all sizes but i guess I'd pay the extra dollar for the bosch with that bypass. I dont usually buy filters from any parts store but never know. Maybe if they go on sale.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The Bosch can feels heavier versus the Wix just my 2 cents.

Yesterday I was sorting out filters in cabinets …
XG16 was lighter, XP midwieght, Bosch DP heavier …

Despite heavy metal … don't think the BD+ media is anything remarkable …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back