Bosch Premium shedding endcap plastic into engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cut open a newer style Bosch Premium 3410 (5000 miles / 11 months)

Once apart and loose, I saw a huge thin piece of black plastic flapping in the center tube. I removed what I thought was the metal end cap to find that this piece of plastic was actually attached to and part of the actual end cap which is plastic.

The metal end cap was in fact a cover for the plastic end cap and itself inserted about an eighth of an inch into the center tube. I presume it kept the plastic flap pressed out of view because I only saw the plastic flap once the filter was cut open at which point the metal end cap became loose.

Essentially, the plastic end cap was not cut cleanly around the center tube. There were other parts of it that were not cut cleanly. The plastic excess was very easy to tear.

Upon inspection of the filter media, I found several smaller pieces of what appeared to be the same plastic.

Has Purolator quality deteriorated so much that pieces of plastic are entering the engine?

Is this newer Bosch style the same as the new Pure One (both with 99% efficiency)?

On the one hand, the pleat count, spacing and rigidity looked great. On the other hand, is this plastic debris reaching the engine a bigger cause for concern than tears causing suboptimal filtering?

I don't think anyone should use a Purolator filter at all, I think most of the people that defend them have given up. They are just poorly made filters.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I don't think anyone should use a Purolator filter at all, I think most of the people that defend them have given up. They are just poorly made filters.

While that did not always used to be the case, I think you are right.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Thats the glue which is supposed to hold it into the metal endcap separating. I stopped using Puro filters because of issues like this.

The pieces you see in the pictures were after I tore them off from the center hole area. They are not glue that has separated from the metal end cap and the potting / resin / plastic end cap / whatever it is!

As soon as I cut the filter, the metal end cap came loose. Whether the design is for it to be attached or not, I don't know,

What i do know is that there was excess resin / potting / plastic that was hidden from view until cutting and some of that debris looks like it went out the center hole, through the engine and was caught in the pleats.

I've had a few Mopar filters come apart like this after I cut the can open. Not a big deal IMO. The resin flapping in the center tube as well as plastic bits in the media is a bit odd though.

Folks don't like fiber end caps, but they love the "resin" end caps..

Originally Posted By: Falken

You're right. Strike three for Purolator in my book. I stopped using them when the torn media problem appeared. I returned what I had, thinking that one day when they cleared up there problem I might go back to using them. That's not going to happen now................I'm done with them.

Quote:
...The pieces you see in the pictures were after I tore them off from the center hole area. They are not glue that has separated from the metal end cap and the potting / resin / plastic end cap / whatever it is!

'IMO', once you "tore them off" then it was/is something you created/caused, or at the very least can't be ruled out. And the piece you call plastic sure looks like typical potting material 'to me'. Some call it glue. It's the material used to hold/bind the endcap to media. 'I' do not believe it's "plastic" at all. Again, just potting material.

That said, as you clearly seem dissatisfied with your findings, best move now would be to switch to another brand. There's many other choices available.

Oil filters are an item you installed on your car and just took for granted it was doing its job and it was made well. Now with BTOG we have folks cutting them open and we get to see the good and bad. Love it.

I could be wrong but I believe that the current Purolator Pureone is not made like this at all....

I have cut and posted a Purolator Boss and Purolator Red both of which looked very good. I will cut and post the Purolator Pureone on my Altima after it's done.

I will say that there have certainly been problems with 14610 Purolator filters of the previous generation. Time will tell if the current ones will be all right.

Last edited:
Its amazing how bad they actually are its also amazing people still buy that junk.. Years ago they were a decent filter..What the heck happened?
Not directed at anyone in particular but If you buy one of these filters and something goes wrong its not their fault its yours. It's a little sad these days filters are good one day and a few months later their quality changed, At the moment unless they changed for this month i think Wix has the better build quality.

Quote:
Purolaters filters have always sucked.

Well 'if' they've always sucked, to paraphrase Spaceballs, perhaps now they've gone from suck to blow?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
...The pieces you see in the pictures were after I tore them off from the center hole area. They are not glue that has separated from the metal end cap and the potting / resin / plastic end cap / whatever it is!

'IMO', once you "tore them off" then it was/is something you created/caused, or at the very least can't be ruled out. And the piece you call plastic sure looks like typical potting material 'to me'. Some call it glue. It's the material used to hold/bind the endcap to media. 'I' do not believe it's "plastic" at all. Again, just potting material.

That said, as you clearly seem dissatisfied with your findings, best move now would be to switch to another brand. There's many other choices available.

Maybe you've misunderstood? Upon dissecting a used filter, I see a thin flexible material in the center hole. This material was not evident on installation or removal, but the act of cutting the filter open allowed the metal end cap to separate without any force applied and this material is no longer held back out of the way.

Once I remove the metal end cap, I then see that this thin material is attached to the rest of the potting and tear it off.

In my pictures, you can see some similar material still attached where it has not been cut accurately. And you can also make out a piece held in the pleats.

I don't see how this excess potting material which was hidden from view until dissection, some of which tore off on its own accord and went through the engine and into the pleats, was in some way my fault?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Its amazing how bad they actually are its also amazing people still buy that junk.. Years ago they were a decent filter..What the heck happened?
Not directed at anyone in particular but If you buy one of these filters and something goes wrong its not their fault its yours. It's a little sad these days filters are good one day and a few months later their quality changed, At the moment unless they changed for this month i think Wix has the better build quality.

This one was purchased before I found there was a quality issue with Purolator. Maybe I shouldn't have used it but the last Bosch Premium I cut open was OK. In any case, I have no more Purolators nor will I buy them again. Fram Ultra on now and for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Upon dissecting a used filter, I see a thin flexible material in the center hole. This material was not evident on installation or removal, but the act of cutting the filter open allowed the metal end cap to separate without any force applied and this material is no longer held back out of the way.

Once I remove the metal end cap, I then see that this thin material is attached to the rest of the potting and tear it off.

In my pictures, you can see some similar material still attached where it has not been cut accurately. And you can also make out a piece held in the pleats.

I don't see how this excess potting material which was hidden from view until dissection, some of which tore off on its own accord and went through the engine and into the pleats, was in some way my fault?

How big was the piece or pieces caught in the pleats? If a big piece went down into the engine it must have broke up into smaller pieces along the way because a big piece couldn't make it intact through most engines and back to the filter because of the size of the passages and the screen on the oil pump pick-up.

Quote:
...I don't see how this excess potting material which was hidden from view until dissection, some of which tore off on its own accord and went through the engine and into the pleats, was in some way my fault?

Read none of that information (potting tore off, went through engine and into pleats) in the OP or the subsequent follow up post. Quoted only you words and used them only to comment on. Nor do I see anything in that matches that description in the pics. Also I don't see any of so called "plastic" still in any of the pics, or material pointed out now as found 'in the pleats'.

So maybe I've misunderstood what you meant, but on the points and wording I referenced, that's what I based the reply on.

In any case and most important part, clearly being unsatisfied with your findings is to switch to one of the many other aftermarket brands available.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back