Bosch Premium 5000 OCI Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil in the 2000 Miata after 5000 miles of use. Old oil was MS5K with Bosch filter. Didn't see any problems with the filter. Anti drain valve was very pliable. Overall a well built filter.

IMG_5112_zpsca835579.jpg

Pleats were straight. No tears. There was a gap on each side of the end crimp.

IMG_5114_zpse7a8e901.jpg

IMG_5115_zps682996d0.jpg

Dome end bypass

IMG_5113_zps85a0efe2.jpg

Removed pleats for closer inspection. No tears. Did see some small pieces of metal. The pieces were moved by a magnet.

IMG_5123_zps24cadfb1.jpg

No trash in the dome end.

IMG_5117_zps9276cad3.jpg

Looks good. Are you using the larger 'Millenia' size oil filter? I have the same filter on my Miata right now, but mine is the smaller filter that is actually spec'd for the car.

Yep, looks good. This the 'oversize' 3323 14610 equivalent or the 3300 14612 shorty? By oversize in this case I mean slightly longer. I call it a reasonable upsize with the same specs.

In any case got the job done.

Thanks for the pics.

^^^ Judging by the dia vs length ratio in the first photo I'd say it's a 3323/14610 size.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Judging by the dia vs length ratio in the first photo I'd say it's a 3323/14610 size.

Winner winner Chicken Dinner! It is the 3323. Good eye. But it is still a tiny filter.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Winner winner Chicken Dinner! It is the 3323. Good eye. But it is still a tiny filter.

It's not as tiny as it looks ... still has ~105 sq-in of media area which is plenty for any large displacement 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just curious as to when the filter was manufactured?

Not sure. This was printed on top. Can you decipher this?

IMG_5109_zps5ec2568a.jpg

I like Bosch filters, I just wish they made them in more sizes. I can't think of the last Bosch posted on here with a problem. Its another filter I would use with confidence.

Not sure how much room for a larger oil filter the Miata has, but if you like larger filters take a look at some Baldwin filters.
I have a '06 S2000 and run a very large(compared to stock) Baldwin B202 filter 3 11/16" X 5 3/8". I have used these other Baldwin filters on my cars and motorcycles and all will fit your Miata if it has the room.
B1431, B161-S, B199, B7042 and the B202

ROD

Looks good!! I've always been impressed with Bosch oil filters. I use the same 3323 on my 05 Sentra. Been using them for almost 85k now.

Looks good! As I've mentioned before I want to see a couple more pleats at the seam. The stress on the two adjacent pleats as a result of the space concerns me. If a cartridge filter can be perfectly pleated so can a spin on.

Results similar to every PL14610, the Bosch clone, I've ever used and posted. And this from 2013 production, apparently doesn't fit the sleuths at risk profile years. A good thing for many reasons.
56.gif

Oh, and smart move using the 3323 application.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Results similar to every PL14610, the Bosch clone, I've ever used and posted. And this from 2013 production, apparently doesn't fit the sleuths at risk profile years. A good thing for many reasons.
56.gif

Higher "risk" doesn't mean it "will" happen. Just means it's more likely to happen. Sooner or later snake eyes will come up if ya keep rollin' the dice.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back