Bosch 3972 after 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bosch 3972 oil filter element.

On the FIL's 2008 Lexus RX 350. 5 months and 6000 miles. Virtually all of them in-city, stop-and-go miles. PP 5W20. Oil was replaced with the same, but for the filter I used an OEM that I had kicking around in my stash.

I've used Puro Classics in the past and they all looked good. The FIL likes to go no more than 6k on his OCIs. This is the first time I've used a Bosch.

No tears to report, but one end cap came off with virtually no effort. As you can see in one of the pics, the glue holding the end caps broke in three places.

All in all, the filter looks pretty rough after 6000 miles. I haven't decided if I will go back to using Bosch again after what I've seen here.

2rmty5v.jpg

24neb11.jpg

2r7r7z6.jpg

29w1uu9.jpg

n2k7zc.jpg

Pretty ugly filter there.

Looks like it went 16,000 miles, not 6,000.

The Purolator Classics I've used in the past have been dead ringers for the Thai-built OEM filters w/o endcaps and worked just fine.

Unless you skipped filter changes on the last two OCI's, I'd avoid Bosch in the future too.

Looks like it clogged and the oil pressure crushed it.

Bosch is made by Purolator, surprised to see such damage.

A synthetic media (wire backed) would be a good choice, Fram XG9972 is available for that vehicle.

I would like exact height measurement of this and the OEM. This filter looks crushed. If the height is the same then this filter is an utter failure.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I would like exact height measurement of this and the OEM. This filter looks crushed. If the height is the same then this filter is an utter failure.

+1

Looks like this cartridge oil filter is a little too high and got crushed when installed in the filter housing.

Bosch cartridge oil filter for my E430 fitted the filter housing perfectly, and looked excellent after 10-13k miles.

Also, looks like the engine is need to be cleaned. Either do few short OCI's of around 2-3k miles or use mild engine flush.

What have other filters that have come out of this engine looked like? This one sure isn't winning any beauty contests.

That is a sad looking filter. If a Bosch cant last the whole OCI, maybe change it and top off the difference after 3-4k miles?

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Wrong filter for the application.

He is using the correct filter. Bosch part # 3972

However, given these results, I would try Fram XG 9972 next time.

+2. Wrong filter for the application.

That's what all the puro boys tell me on all the bendolators

12.gif

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Looks like it clogged and the oil pressure crushed it.

Bosch is made by Purolator, surprised to see such damage.

A synthetic media (wire backed) would be a good choice, Fram XG9972 is available for that vehicle.

I have 3 XG9972 in my stash, but the FIL insists on a new filter at every OCI, which for 6k, the XG would be a waste. Thus I've been using the Purolator Classic. Never had a bad looking PC after 6k.

Originally Posted By: webfors

I bought a whole bunch of these on clearout at Walmart for $3 each. I took a couple at random and measured the height relative to the OEM. They were the same.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What have other filters that have come out of this engine looked like? This one sure isn't winning any beauty contests.

The FIL and I have the same engine. In the past I've used Hastings, FRAM Extragard, PC, Microgard and OEM. The FRAM was a little wavy after 5k, but the others all looked good after 5 or 6k.

Just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering how much of a factor the cold climate plays in the condition of the filter after use? Maybe these filters (Bosch and by extension, the P1) are good only for a relatively short OCI (4-5k) during the summer months?

Originally Posted By: Stewie
+2. Wrong filter for the application.

That's what all the puro boys tell me on all the bendolators

12.gif

I just said it looks like it was crushed, and it does. I would have said that if it was Wix, Fram, etc. You assume a lot .....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back