Borg warner t5 NWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Its been so long since I been to this site, I was here when there was very very few memebers and now its all HUGE!

Well I have a 1986 nissan 300zx non turbo. Im putting in a Turbo transmission from a 1985 300zx that is the borg warner t5 non-world-class transmission.

There is alot of differnt info on the type of fluid to use on these. On many mustang forums they said NO ATF. On my forums (and guys who ran it in my car) says use ATF it will shift much smoother.

So Its time to get some ideas here. Everyone that has a 300zx with this transmission runs ATF, very few run syncromesh. Some had issues when running standard gl4 gearlube and starting hearing more bearing noises, one guy even killed his brand new rebuild in 3 weeks *according to the transmission shop that built it*

So Maybe someone can chime in...Thanks

ATF is what is required.

For warmer climates, I wouldn't hesitate using any of the MTL/MTF synchromesh equivalents.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
ATF is what is required.

For warmer climates, I wouldn't hesitate using any of the MTL/MTF synchromesh equivalents.

That's about it. The synchromesh fluids are a bit thicker, but are much better for wear, and are designed for manual trans shifting. ATF is not.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Royal Purple Syncromax

I heard alot of people liking this.

I wonder, the old owner with this trnamission filled it with gear lube and had no issues. I am thinking of possibly filling it with ATF maxlife (which I heard people had sucess with) and then running it for around 600 miles to break in my clutch...then drain it then perhaps either go with ATF again, or RP...

I personally want a smooth shift. Thats my ultimate goal.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
who built it?

It has about 80k factory transmission, hasnt been rebuilt. Im tired of getting BUNK rebuilds. I blow through them within 3000 miles. The bearings go bad enough to howl! And its notchy as [censored]. There are other issues I know, especially the autozone clutch but here is some videos. You hear it mainly in second, even without enguaging the clutch. So im taking my chances with a transmission that hasnt been rebuilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md79DF-gDj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isUsMFha3Yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6gcimHX1NY

Royal Purple Syncromax

I believe the RP Synchromax has a viscosity of a light ATF. So viscosity wise it should be fine for your tranny and being a manual tranny fluid it will protect it better than ATF.

Whimsey

I have a t45 in my mustang. I was getting a crunch from 2nd-3rd and the tranny felt like a slushbox. I put in a centerforce df and Aamco used Rp synchromesh to fill tranny. Crunch was still there. I took it back. I bought AMSOIL synchromesh to refill tranny. Crunch gone.

Originally Posted By: digitaldrifter91
Royal Purple Syncromax

I heard alot of people liking this.

I wonder, the old owner with this trnamission filled it with gear lube and had no issues. I am thinking of possibly filling it with ATF maxlife (which I heard people had sucess with) and then running it for around 600 miles to break in my clutch...then drain it then perhaps either go with ATF again, or RP...

I personally want a smooth shift. Thats my ultimate goal.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
who built it?

It has about 80k factory transmission, hasnt been rebuilt. Im tired of getting BUNK rebuilds. I blow through them within 3000 miles. The bearings go bad enough to howl! And its notchy as [censored]. There are other issues I know, especially the autozone clutch but here is some videos. You hear it mainly in second, even without enguaging the clutch. So im taking my chances with a transmission that hasnt been rebuilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md79DF-gDj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isUsMFha3Yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6gcimHX1NY
do you have any local builder that can put in a hayes clutch?or a phase 2 kevlar
?

The Z31 manual transmission fluid recommendation is strange.......I`ve seen the fsm (I used to have an `86 Z31 turbo) and it lists either a GL4 75W90 *or* ATF. I wonder why it specs two completely different kind`ve fluids?

It depends on the year and whether it has the turbo or not. T5 was ATF. Nissan's manual was 75w90. Any confusion is because of Nissan's incompetent tech writers.

It depends on the year and whether it has the turbo or not. T5 was ATF. Nissan's manual was 75w90. Any confusion is because of Nissan's incompetent tech writers.

LOL

I think im going to go for RP syncromesh. Ill return the MAxlife ATF. I did a drain on the tranmission today (since its out of the car) and the fluid was super clean with no shavings. So either he just changed the fluid before he sent it to me, or didnt drive it at all lol.

I am still thinking about flushing the old stuff out. The gear lube was really thick and it was only 70 degrees outside. But id hate to waste RP syncromesh on a 600 mile drain and fill....

Well I put valvaline maxlife atf and BOY DID THAT THING WHINE!

First through third it sounded like a super charger. It was really noisy at idle, but shifted nicely.

I swapped out the fluid for lucas 80w90. That was the fluid the previous owner used. Lucas made all the gears quiet, and got rid of that whine.

Shifting is pretty nice, but I cant downshift at higher speeds at slightly higher rpms like from 3rd to 2nd on the freeway. It will grind. Same goes from 4th to 3rd. Upshifting is great as long as I dont power shift. I wish it can be better. But its wayyy better than my old transmission.

RP synchromesh was expensive, 16 bucks a quart. Im scared that since this transmission didnt like ATF, it may not like synchromesh.

If your Z is the year that requires ATF,try Pennzoil Synchromesh. It`s cheap and it`s thicker than ATF,plus thinner than GL4 gear oil. It also has the additives designed for shiftability and protection for synchromized manual transmissions. Autozone,Oreilly,etc carries it.

If it whined that much on ATF, you're masking future problems with gear oil.

80w90 is too thick for a T5.

If it whined that much on ATF, you're masking future problems with gear oil.

80w90 is too thick for a T5.

Hold on a sec
wink.gif

For the Mustang, the non-WC T5's spec'd gear oil. The WC T5's spec'd ATF. If this is a non-WC T5, then Gear oil is what Ford would have spec'd for it in a Mustang application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back