Borg Warner Style Manual Transmission Synchronizers video

Caveats:
i) Not a fancy video, and it's a mite long (I encourage folks to stick with it to the end);
ii) English is not the Presenter's first language; he speaks clearly albeit with an accent; and
iii) Probably the Presenter ought to call the synchro rings "blocker rings" ('cuz until they "clock" within their designed-in "slop" with the shift keys, they actually block full synchronization).

No other videos that I've seen really, properly describe the "clocking" of the synchro's...

Can you tell I'm a manual transmission fan?

One error I can find: early-on he says the synchro will make the output shaft have the same speed as the speed-gear. Incorrect; the opposite is correct.

Last edited:
That’s an awfully small transmission by the size of the gear set/assembly. Definitely not a Super T-10.

That’s an awfully small transmission by the size of the gear set/assembly. Definitely not a Super T-10.
I don't disagree... but what I'm saying is that "BW-style" synchro's are used by all kinds of mfrs. Borg Warner, if I'm not mistaken, invented it in the '40's. One other type is the ZF-style synchromesh...

Back